all posts post new thread

Kettlebell ROP results

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
ROP instead of Soju and Tuba?

Typically, you can start ROP with a bell you can press at least 5 reps.

My understanding is you're concerned about high press volume on your problematic shoulders. If that is the case, I would caution against ROP altogether till your shoulders are fully cured and well oiled. That is why I suggested S+T.

I'm in the same situation. I'm lucky though since snatches do not aggravate my shoulders. I just started Quick and Dead Snatches this week, which I expect will bring back press strength indirectly. Once my shoulders have enough resilience, I'll incorporate S+T presses and see how it goes.

My understanding is you're concerned about high press volume on your problematic shoulders. If that is the case, I would caution against ROP altogether till your shoulders are fully cured and well oiled. That is why I suggested S+T.

I'm in the same situation. I'm lucky though since snatches do not aggravate my shoulders. I just started Quick and Dead Snatches this week, which I expect will bring back press strength indirectly. Once my shoulders have enough resilience, I'll incorporate S+T presses and see how it goes.
I agree but I didn't understand he was concerned about high press volume. In that case, definitely best to avoid the ROP.

Would there be any benefit from running S&T with a 16kg kettlebell - I can press it between 3 and 5 times - if my next weight up is a 24 I can't even press once? Or would I be better buying a 20kg bell?

Would there be any benefit from running S&T with a 16kg kettlebell - I can press it between 3 and 5 times - if my next weight up is a 24 I can't even press once? Or would I be better buying a 20kg bell?

I would start with the 16K if it were me. S&T wouldn't have the volume to allow me to jump from 16K to 24K, so I would also get the 20K anyway.

If I remember correctly, it wasn't even ROP's high volume with 20K that allowed me to press the 24K. It was rather a follow-up stint with double kettlebells work (Return of the Kettlebell).

Hey everyone,

I've posted a few times in the ROP support thread but just wanted to say that I finally finished the C&P part of the ROP.

Quarantine started where I live around early March. Sadly, it was at the same time that I actually caught COVID-19 during a work trip.

I lost my sense of taste and smell initially and got a fever for a few days but that was it. During that time, I was just exhausted all the time but I force-fed myself an upward of 3000 calories to help my immune system as much as I could.

A week later, I wanted to train again but gyms were closed so I bought a 28kg and a 40kg KB.

At that point, I could press the 28 a couple of times so I started with the S&T program with it 3 times a week, swinging ala S&S afterwards (please note that I did reach the simple standards earlier this year).

After 6 weeks, I could press the 28 a max of 5-6 times but the last rep was very difficult.

Gyms were still closed so I decided to do the ROP and here we are, 14 weeks later.

For info, I was swinging after each session ala S&S (one-hand with the 28 or two-hand with my 40). I was also supersetting the C&P with OA rows.

From week 9, I was only swinging on the L days and from week 11, I stopped the OA rows on the H days.

Week 14, I only trained on Tuesday and Friday, doing 3x3 reps of C&P/OAR and finally tested my RM on Friday.

I'm pleased to say I was able to press the 28kg 10 times with each arm!

For info, I'm 5'8, ~150 lbs (I gained a couple with the ROP as I was hungry all the time) and 30 years old.

To conclude, the ROP works wonders and it's really simple to follow... but definitely not easy.
It might be interesting then to get started on double C&P?

Hmm the S&T with a 5RM is definitely too light. What I would do is
  • either S&T but doubling the reps, i.e, start with 4 sets of 2 reps and end with 6 sets of 6 reps with 3 workouts per week or every other day,
  • OR buying a 20kg kettlebell and run S&T as written.
It might be interesting then to get started on double C&P?
While I am planning to try double kettlebells, I don't think it will be anytime soon. I really want to be comfortable with the 32 first. I am almost done with running S&T with it, afterwards depending on if gyms will be closed here or not, I might run the ROP with it. A scary thought to be sure but I have the experience now and I know what to do and not to do.
On run it back with the same bell but cut the density
Definitely an interesting idea that I've read before on this forum but I am not a fan of "short rests" training unless it is swings. I feel like I start focusing less on technique.

Hmm the S&T with a 5RM is definitely too light. What I would do is
  • either S&T but doubling the reps, i.e, start with 4 sets of 2 reps and end with 6 sets of 6 reps with 3 workouts per week or every other day,
  • OR buying a 20kg kettlebell and run S&T as written.

While I am planning to try double kettlebells, I don't think it will be anytime soon. I really want to be comfortable with the 32 first. I am almost done with running S&T with it, afterwards depending on if gyms will be closed here or not, I might run the ROP with it. A scary thought to be sure but I have the experience now and I know what to do and not to do.

Definitely an interesting idea that I've read before on this forum but I am not a fan of "short rests" training unless it is swings. I feel like I start focusing less on technique.

To put context how much rest between sets do you average?

To put context how much rest between sets do you average?

Hey @taro, no, more like:
  • 1c&p left, 1c&p right
  • 1 row left, 1 row right
  • 1' rest
  • 2c&p left, 2c&p right
  • 2 rows left, 2 rows right
  • 2' rest
  • etc.
Please note that I was NOT rushing between exercises.

Doing the ROP with the 32 would just be amazing for me. I'll see how I feel after finishing S&T!
There you go :)

So with the S&T, are you performing the reps alternately or finishing all the reps on one side before switching arms?

Hi @johanness, tbh after being on S&S for a long time, I just loved the 10x10 protocol. I know how much my body could handle and my focus during the ROP was more the C&Ps than the conditioning aspect. The S&S swing protocol was just what I needed. Also why I didn't do any snatching, I just don't think I could have handled it.

So basically this is a hybrid S&S/ROP Program?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom