all posts post new thread

Kettlebell ROP support group

I actually ran 2x runs of Jurassic with the 20kg before swapping to the "classic" version @24kg.

I'm leaning towards the classic version @20kg with the light day @24kg, as supersetting with the pullups make my back feel good.

Thanks for your advice
If Jurassic with the 20kg hasn't "got you there" with the 24kg, the volume with the 20kg in the classic ROP might be better for moving your press up, so I like your idea.

You could also consider using something like Giant or Easy Muscle with the 20kg ... but this is the ROP Support Group and that might be unsupportive advice...

Thanks mate, I have played with longer rests a few times after I've failed a rep, but it doesn't seem to help - could even be a mental thing.
If that’s the case it may just be the need to practice tension. A heavier weight usually takes keying in on the bracing, rooting, clinching your glutes and fist hard, etc. No problem! If you post your clean and press on here that would help. Your press is only as good as your clean.

If that’s the case it may just be the need to practice tension. A heavier weight usually takes keying in on the bracing, rooting, clinching your glutes and fist hard, etc. No problem! If you post your clean and press on here that would help. Your press is only as good as your clean.
Will take a vid next training day.

@24kg

@20kg

Hopefully my video is clear enough. Your press looks decent you just have a few things I can see. When you clean, the bell needs to come straight up into the rack. Make your glutes tight, stand tall, squeeze the bell, and keep your fist clinched with palm facing outward. Dig your toes into the floor and brace your core harder than you think you should. Hopefully you can see all those elements in my video to use as a reference. Play your video back and you will see a couple things.

1. You open your hand before pressing

2. your opposite hand opens and is turned downward

3. I don’t see your toes digging into the ground.

And I just noticed you are breathing out when you cleaned the bell. On the clean take a big inhale so when you hit the rack position you are braced and ready to press.
Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Hopefully my video is clear enough. Your press looks decent you just have a few things I can see. When you clean, the bell needs to come straight up into the rack. Make your glutes tight, stand tall, squeeze the bell, and keep your fist clinched with palm facing outward. Dig your toes into the floor and brace your core harder than you think you should. Hopefully you can see all those elements in my video to use as a reference. Play your video back and you will see a couple things.

1. You open your hand before pressing

2. your opposite hand opens and is turned downward

3. I don’t see your toes digging into the ground.

And I just noticed you are breathing out when you cleaned the bell. On the clean take a big inhale so when you hit the rack position you are braced and ready to press.
Hope that helps!

Thanks Luis, keeping the tension up is definitely something I will continue to work on, I'll give your cues a crack next session

Thanks Luis, keeping the tension up is definitely something I will continue to work on, I'll give your cues a crack next session
I really think that is all you are missing here. There is no need to change the program. Every time I moved up in weight, I had to refine my technique with the help of a coach. You are welcome.

You maybe consider just resting twice as long and see where that gets you. When I do ROP I typically rest 5-10 minutes or longer after reps of 3. In general for strength focus work a minimum of 2.5 minutes. But for the singles I usually go for feel. If I feel ready I do 2. After a double on each side I might rest 3 minutes or longer. Four and five reps now it’s typically 5-10 minutes or more
I second this. When I ran it with the 32k heavy days would turn into a half a day affair. I would tend to do chores around the house in between sets.

I second this. When I ran it with the 32k heavy days would turn into a half a day affair. I would tend to do chores around the house in between sets.
ROP is almost like grease the groove to me. When I plan to do ROP, I set that kb next to where I plan to be for the day. And I knock out the reps throughout that day and I don’t worry about getting a “workout.” I’m focused on getting stronger.

@24kg

@20kg

Well, unpopular opinion right here.
Do it with 24, 20 is to light for you by your rep numbers.

Couple of options:
- You don't have to do them as pretty as you are doing them. The important thing is that the weight goes up, bot how it looks. On easier rungs do them pretty, on harder rungs just get it over your head.
I prefer a pause in the rack, then pulling the bell down into my chest (think of it like squeezing a tennisball in your armpit) and then release all that pressure to start the press. IF you need you can use the elastic buildup of the thorax at the same time, it will give you a small push, but not as much as a pushpress.

- I would try to press it faster (you are controlling the bell to much)

- drop it faster, the eccentric part is to pronounced. There is no difference between 1 and 3 seconds drop for muscle fibers, but you will get way more tired from 3 seconds. It takes away from your press numbers. If you are comfortable with it, skip the eccentric and just let it drop to your chest.

Have you explored the Victorious program? StrongFirst: Training Center Lots of cues to learn and then pick a few to focus on each session.

How are the pushups? Apparently after the shoulder/upper back lifts the bell the second half of the movement is mainly tricep.

Have you explored the Victorious program? StrongFirst: Training Center Lots of cues to learn and then pick a few to focus on each session.

How are the pushups? Apparently after the shoulder/upper back lifts the bell the second half of the movement is mainly tricep.
Pushups are as good as I need then for now, can do 25 in a set. I definitely noticed an improvement in pressing strength after running HSPU for a week or so over Xmas so you are on to something there.

Back
Top Bottom