all posts post new thread

Kettlebell ROP support group

Hi folks, I have a question about training schedules:

I'm doing ROP
Monday Light
Tuesday Variety
Wednesday Medium
Thursday Variety
Friday (here's the kicker, ROP calls for off day, but due to job requirements it needs to be a 6-8 mile run or hike)
Saturday Heavy
Sunday off

I am well aware that Friday is not the best day to do a hard run or hike, only to go heavy or test the next day. For work purposes, Friday is best for hike or run.

Does anyone have any viable recommendations for doing the same amount of work on this schedule? Sunday is off day, my wife has spoken.

Thanks everyone.

Why not just shift things around to suit you? Pavel offers several options. If I were you, I'd probably do this:

Monday Medium
Tuesday Variety - or rest
Wednesday Heavy
Thursday Variety - or rest
Friday: Run
Saturday Light
Sunday off

As long as you do the 3 days I don't think the order matters that much, but I would not do my Heavy Day first.

When I do the ROP it is like this...

SUN- Rest
Mon - Light
Tue - Variety AM/Karate training PM
Wed- Heavy
Thurs - Variety
Fri - Medium
Sat- Karate long session

I do my heavy days on Thursdays, because I want to get in some running too and that's best done in the weekend for me. Saturday Is my light day.

Why not just shift things around to suit you? Pavel offers several options. If I were you, I'd probably do this:

Monday Medium
Tuesday Variety - or rest
Wednesday Heavy
Thursday Variety - or rest
Friday: Run
Saturday Light
Sunday off

@Baker, I took your advice since Friday is hike day for me.
Mr. Moran, thanks for your input, you write a lot of great stuff.
Rayhzel, Saturday is my light day too. How do you feel for the rest of the weekend? Cheated? Could have done more? Or are you good with the run? I've always done MORE is better, I can rest on SUNDAY!!!! (Didn't work out so great looking back.)

Thanks.

I am definitely good with it.
It's important to remember that more isn't better and I know I work hard enough during the weekdays.

I'm gonna speak from the heart Rayhzel
- I ENVY you that mentality. I was taught that hard enough was never enough, and if you could walk away, you didn't give it your all. I can certainly feel it 14+ years later. I hope it goes well.
Thanks man.

It is definitely not easy to keep up that mentality though.
For 15 years I trained the wrong way. Always going flatout each training. There is still that voice in the back of my head that says I still have to do that. I have to constantly remind myself I shouldn't do that if I want to see progress.

Be (mentally) strong!

You said it! It is a battle every workout, especially on Variety days ("I didn't say go light, but take it easy..." I have to tell myself, not the 'relative' easy, but the 'do a few things and STOP', easy.

It is definitely not easy to keep up that mentality though.

Be (mentally) strong!

I'm trying, thanks. You too!

Got into kettlebells a few months ago and I've been enjoying it a lot. Working through rite of passage. Started at a 24kg bell and worked through it, now I'm working my way through with 32kg. Last week I just hit my 5's on it so I'll probably rock a few more weeks to solidify it.
In anticipation I ordered a 40kg (only making 8kg jumps, no Ken and Barbie weight jumps; next is the beast!!) and just got it in the mail today! Clean and pressed it once for each arm. I'll likely throw it in as the singles at the beginning of my ladders until I can get it for 3 reps and officially start it.
Man it's a big bell.
I have previously had a good MP with a barbell though so that's probably why I'm progressing pretty fast; only been on ROP for 2 months. I've pressed 205lb at 195 body weight, but that was also another time when I was on 531. Lost a lot of that strength.
Odd that although I'm right handed I have a stronger press with my left arm.

Guys, this has likely already been mentioned somewhere on this massive thread (needle in a haystack), but how long does an ROP generally session take on a heavy day and on a light day? Is this a program that is even possible for the busy working guy? Thx

That is going to depend. I have had light days go as quick as sub 30 minutes and heavy days last an Hour that includes my OS warm up. I would say average time for me would be 35-45 minutes but as you climb ladders with a heavier weight the sessions will get longer for a few weeks and then climb back down. When I had the 24kg totally owned I could do heavy day pretty quick.

Guys, this has likely already been mentioned somewhere on this massive thread (needle in a haystack), but how long does an ROP generally session take on a heavy day and on a light day? Is this a program that is even possible for the busy working guy? Thx

It can get long on heavy day, especially if you are working with a challenging bell and doing ladders up to 5. Even longer if you are also doing pullups.

When I've done ROP, I've more often than not split the heavy day swings (and often medium day too) to the next day.

If you are doing ROP presses but doing swings S&S style, I think it's a lot more flexible and mangageable. Since your effort on S&S is always moderate, you can easily do them on a pressing off day, and it's easier to squeeze them in after a long press session. You can even do less than 10 sets after a tough press session since you are going to knock out your full 100 reps the next day anyway. A tough heavy session of presses and pull ups, followed by (potentially) 12 minutes of all out swings is physically and mentally difficult and not, IMO, necessarily optimal for results either.

I've had light days that were about 15 minutes (3 Ladders @ 1 rep) and heavy days that were about 2 hours.

I agree that pullups add a lot of time.

@rickyw , I totally think this is manageable no matter how busy you are and I'm sure there are much smarter people than myself that can help you "program" it to work into your schedule.

Good luck!

@Orchid Ox , have you snatched the 40kgs yet? I just took a leap of faith and followed your footsteps: I bought my own 40kgs last night. Any tips or pointers on how/where to start with it? I was thinking 2HS for a few weeks then moving to the clean. Thanks.

As for me, I like to go heavy on Mon after two days rest (Sat, Sun), then medium to taper off as the week progresses. Here is ROP schedule...
Mon-Heavy
Tue-Variety or Rest
Wed-Med
Thur-Variety or Rest
Fri-Light (sometimes rest)
Sat-Rest (train light if Fri is rest)
Sun-Rest
Note:Sometimes I rest Fri off to train Sat.

When, if ever, is it OK to increase the number of Get Ups on the 2nd VARIETY day? ROP calls for:
Loaded Cleans 5 x 5L/5R + GU 5 x 1L/1R
My GU felt good, stable, and strong. I feel like I can do more (old mentality again, making me want to keep doing more, more, more)
Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom