all posts post new thread

Kettlebell ROP support group

Guys,

recently I rediscovered my passion for OAPU.
Was wondering: would it distract from presses if I did OAPU 1x/week @5x2 or 3x3 (assuming my max is 4-5 reps).
Like so:

Mo: off
Tue: RoP light
Wed:OAPU + stretch/mobility
Thu: off
Fr: RoP medium
Sat: stretch/mobility
Sun: RoP heavy

I think Pavel stated that you may do pistols but not OAPU during ROP. But the volume sounds manageable, I think it comes down to how challenging your ROP bell and rest periods are. I’d be interested to hear how it goes.

I think Pavel stated that you may do pistols but not OAPU during ROP. But the volume sounds manageable, I think it comes down to how challenging your ROP bell and rest periods are. I’d be interested to hear how it goes.

Yes, you are correct! He says exactly that.
But I think he is refering to doing OAPU in a grease the groove style. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I'd just do them 1x/week at low volume and liberal rest to keep/slowly refine the skill.

Yes, you are correct! He says exactly that.
But I think he is refering to doing OAPU in a grease the groove style. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I'd just do them 1x/week at low volume and liberal rest to keep/slowly refine the skill.
That’s how I understood it as well. I think you have more experience with OAPU and ROP than I do, so I’d trust your judgement on that :)

Has anyone used LSS along with the Rite of passage. I've been doing the workouts in the morning and then swimming or light jog 40 mins or so in the eve.
Hit 5 ladders up to 5 rungs with with 32kg so was considering moving up to the 36kg. I used pull ups with the 32kg it dropped them off on some of the latter ladders. Just wondering if I'll be able to sustain the LSS on top of the 36 kg pressing

@32 you are one strong dude!
I think it would not interfere at all as long as you keep the intensity low and rather do it for enjoyment. It might even benefit due to enhanced blood flow.

Thanks Marc,
Really enjoy the single arm C and P. Tough program but I enjoy a bit of LSS whether swimming, jogging or m biking. I'll push on with the 36 and see what happens..cheers

Hi guys!

Trying to get the RoP math right.

Courtesy of @Steve Freides who has outlines the below chart of the heavy days in RoP. But how should one go about it all on the medium and light days in terms of reducing volume? If you were to do two rungs less, which one do you choose when there is different ladders?

Week 1: 3 x (1-2-3)

Week 2: 4 x (1-2-3)

Week 3: 5 x (1-2-3)

Week 4: 1 x (1-2-3-4) & 4 x (1-2-3)

Week 5: 2 x (1-2-3-4) & 3 x (1-2-3)

Week 6: 3 x (1-2-3-4) & 2 x (1-2-3)

Week 7: 4 x (1-2-3-4) & 1 x (1-2-3)

Week 8: 5 x (1-2-3-4)

Week 9: 1 x (1-2-3-4-5) & 4 x (1-2-3-4)

Week 10: 2 x (1-2-3-4-5) & 3 x (1-2-3-4)

Week 11: 3 x (1-2-3-4-5) & 2 x (1-2-3-4)

Week 12: 4 x (1-2-3-4-5) & 1 x (1-2-3-4)

Week 13: 5 x (1-2-3-4-5)

Hi guys!

Courtesy of @Steve Freides who has outlines the below chart of the heavy days in RoP. But how should one go about it all on the medium and light days in terms of reducing volume? If you were to do two rungs less, which one do you choose when there is different ladders?
Base it off your heavy day that week. The medium and lights are “step cycles” that stay constant for several weeks and “bump up” only when you start working on a new rung on the heavy day.

So when heavy is 1,2,3, medium is 1,2 and light is 5 singles.

When heavy has one ladder of 1,2,3,4, medium is now 1,2,3 and light is 1,2

Finally, in the last phase when you are filling out ladders of 1,2,3,4,5, medium is now 1,2,3,4 and light is 1,2,3

Whether you are doing 1 or 5 ladders to 1,2,x on heavy day, medium and light are 5 ladders 1 or 2 rungs lower than the top ladder of heavy day.

Hi guys!

Below a nice post by @Kettlebelephant :

"
13-jpg.3533

Here, that's RoP layed out in the 13 week cycle most people talk about. No guesswork.

Like @Sean M said, it doesn't matter which weekday your heavy days is, the only thing important is the day before the heavy day should be a rest day, so no light, medium or variety day directly before your heavy day!
The other thing is your week always starts with the heavy day, because the heavy day sets the baseline (number of rungs & ladders) for the rest of the week -> Session 1 has to be heavy, subsequently session 4, 7, 10, 13 etc. have to be heavy days aswell (not counting variety day sessions here)."

This is the original thread:

Question about the ladder system in ROP

Thank you @Sean M and @Oscar !
Thought I did read all the RoP thread, but guess I didnt.

My next dilemma would be starting weight. I can mp press the 24 for 3-4 reps each side (damm you S&S) and my 16 10 times each side. Clean and Press is 5 each side.

How should I attack RoP?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Stefan Olsson, reading the thread is no substitute for reading the book, which gives clear guidance about choosing a starting weight.

Based on what you've said, I'd use a 16 kg but attack each heavy day, moving up more than one rung at a time if you're able, and completing the program in less than the usual time. (How to do this has been discussed in this thread at some point, I'm pretty sure.) At that point, test your max with the 24 and hopefully do the program again but with the heavier weight.

-S-

@Stefan Olsson, reading the thread is no substitute for reading the book, which gives clear guidance about choosing a starting weight.

Based on what you've said, I'd use a 16 kg but attack each heavy day, moving up more than one rung at a time if you're able, and completing the program in less than the usual time. (How to do this has been discussed in this thread at some point, I'm pretty sure.) At that point, test your max with the 24 and hopefully do the program again but with the heavier weight.

-S-

@Steve Freides you are absolutely right, reading the book is essential! My question regarding starting weight is that in the book Pavel state that:
"Pick a kettlebell you can clean and press—a clean before each press, that is—roughly five to eight times."

Tsatsouline, Pavel. Enter the Kettlebell!: Strength Secret of the Soviet Supermen (Kindle Location 1337). DD Publications. Kindle Edition.

In my case, or I guess always go lighter when in doubt? I read in an earlier thread that you think doing RoP with 10rm can yield results, I will go with the 16 and when I can attack the progression little harder.

Thank you!

@Stefan Olsson, yes, you're correct. You may wish, as others (including me) have suggested elsewhere in this thread, to work in the 24 for some singles and doubles, simply substituting it for the 16 kg for the rungs of 1 or 1 and 2 and continuing with the higher-rep rungs using the lighter weight.

Best of luck to you.

-S-

Two Quick questions:

Does anyone train barbell DLs with ROP?

If you achieve Simple can you skip the original PM?

Two Quick questions:

You might add DL 1-2x/week at low volume on variety days. But: listen to your body, it might be too much for some. Don't force it.

If you achieved Simple you can absolutely skip the original PM.

Two Quick questions:

I did Daily Dose Deadlift early in each cycle of RoP and it paired well. The third step in RoP (ladders to 5) requires one’s full attention and energy.

Yes, that's right!
Personally DDD would be too much for me.

Concerning the PM: you could do that on your variety days 2-3x/week.
Or you could do some sort of modified S&S: 100 1H swings and 10 Get Ups @30% of your bodyweight. In both cases you should ditch the swing part at the end of the RoP sessions.

Back
Top Bottom