all posts post new thread

Kettlebell ROP support group

Hi,

a question that arose today in the context of the ROP heavy day:

max. effort vs. 1 rep left in tank

since ROP has a fix rep scheme, what to do when it starts to get close to the limit? Do you push to max in order get the last rep? (respecting good form)
or does the 1 rep left principle rule over the rep scheme, and the 5 presses are done with a short breake, mayby 3+2 ?

Hi,

a question that arose today in the context of the ROP heavy day:

max. effort vs. 1 rep left in tank

since ROP has a fix rep scheme, what to do when it starts to get close to the limit? Do you push to max in order get the last rep? (respecting good form)
or does the 1 rep left principle rule over the rep scheme, and the 5 presses are done with a short breake, mayby 3+2 ?

p. 134 of ETK warns against training to failure.

I would cut the day short and repeat next heavy day. If I still cannot make it then, I would a take a few days break (to reset the cumulative volume) and restart the program with three ladders of three rungs on heavy day using the same weight.

@johanness, my take: for ROP heavy day, you want to start every rep you're confident of completing. You never want to start a rep you're not confident of finishing - that would be training to failure because you won't get many of those. That was always my thought process: Am I good for the next rep? If you don't have that confidence, then don't attempt it.

-S-

Just an update. After a few weeks sticking at the 4 (1,2,3) heavy day the strict press is getting easier (was push pressing before). Think I’m gonna move up to 5 ladders in the heavy day this week. Feeling good. Also, being able to crank out strict pull-ups is a wonderful feeling. Little elbow soreness but nothing to write home about.

If it helps, I used the same kettlebell throughout the ROP even for snatches. I did that from the 24 kto the 36 k. 36 k snatches were tough but they made the "test" bell (24) feel easy. This was 2008 to 2010 range in time.

As to the snatching the 24, pardon the pun but it helped to get strong first!

If it helps, I used the same kettlebell throughout the ROP even for snatches. I did that from the 24 kto the 36 k. 36 k snatches were tough but they made the "test" bell (24) feel easy. This was 2008 to 2010 range in time.

As to the snatching the 24, pardon the pun but it helped to get strong first!
Great point. Will try out using the 32 the next snatch day and see how it goes.

I've been mostly lurking this forum, and especially this thread. I've wantes to give rop a chance but havent really done it until now. Been following ROP since the beginning of november and managed to press the 40kg today at a bodyweight of 76kg. I will continue with ROP until I can press it for reps on both hands, I mean things are going so well, why stop? There's a clip in my training log

Last edited:
8E974612-4C18-4781-8ECF-7DBC95907AF7.png
Found this on a forum here and I believe @Steve Freides you said this is a correct progression. Just making sure because the way it reads in the book I thought once you hit 5x (1,2,3) you just added the 4 and immediately went or tried to hit 5x (1,2,3,54) in a week or two. But the way I’m reading that chart you do one extra rung per jump then progressively increase ladders til the next jump... is this chart correct?

@IMayAgainKnowChris, the idea is that if you pick a 5-8RM weight, the list I've given should be about right. You are free to try to do more on heavy day than the chart indicates, and if you are able to do that, you can compress the 13 weeks into a shorter time period.

My typical method for revisiting the ROP is to go through it with a 20 kg in about 8 weeks, then with a 24 kg as shown above in 13 weeks, at which point I'm usually good for a 32 kg for a single on each side.

IOW, what you said and I what I suggested are both possible, it'll just depend on how heavy the weight is for you.

-S-

@IMayAgainKnowChris, the idea is that if you pick a 5-8RM weight, the list I've given should be about right. You are free to try to do more on heavy day than the chart indicates, and if you are able to do that, you can compress the 13 weeks into a shorter time period.

My typical method for revisiting the ROP is to go through it with a 20 kg in about 8 weeks, then with a 24 kg as shown above in 13 weeks, at which point I'm usually good for a 32 kg for a single on each side.

IOW, what you said and I what I suggested are both possible, it'll just depend on how heavy the weight is for you.

-S-
I appreciate the help. I can’t remember exactly how it’s worded in the book but I NEVER would have gathered that THAT is the way to do it. I’m also not the brightest bulb in the chandelier.

How long does one “cycle” of ROP last? It wasn’t immediately clear to me after flipping through the book. The 1/2 body weight press seems like a goal that would take years for me to hit....

The general guidance here is 13 weeks. The weekly progressions are outlined in several of the previous responses on this post (one of them about 5 replies back).

All other things being equal, you increase one rung per week. As the chart shows, it would take 13 weeks assuming you don't skip any and don't repeat any.

-S-

Finished the ladders with 24kg this afternoon! Took 31 minutes. Good times.

The last few weeks definitely ate up the energy I usually put into my martial arts practice. Looking forward to a week off from lifting then I'm going to do ETK+ as a 'bus bench' program for a while.

Random notes from the cycle:

I did 16, 20, 24kg pretty well straight through. I pushed the top set as far as I could go with good form each week so did not do 13 weeks for each. Never felt too worn down but definitely got tired these past few weeks.

Snatching 24kg has NEVER felt this easy. True, I had a long gap from snatches but sets of five are absolutely flying up.

Seems to have ended up being a recomp. I did some heavy barbell work leading in and was an unprecedented 93kg. Back down at a much leaner 85 now.

Had my first strict presses with 32kg during the cycle. Will throw these in some days with ETK+. Feels like multiple reps is definitely doable right now.

Work capacity has been improving. I was compressing the rest periods, so not surprising.

Martial arts practice felt stronger and stronger right up to the last couple of weeks when suddenly I didn't have nearly as much juice. That's what made me decide to reset here and do ETK+ rather than push straight on with the 28 as I originally intended.

Hope you're all having fun with your training!

-Sam

Back
Top Bottom