all posts post new thread

Kettlebell ROP support group

Yes but if you have the time why not. You will build some incredible strength. I did Rop and tested my gym max a year later and deadlifted easily 75 pounds more than previous. And jiu jitsu practice made me have to dial way back on my efforts. Which made me very excited because four years ago my shoulders were so beat up, I couldnt even compete anymore.
I’ve already decided that I’m going for it next winter. I’m changing gears towards marathon training for a while and plan on following the bjj program for the rest of the year. Starting with swings and getups and moving onto the clean and jerk as marathon training picks up.

Im sure someone has asked this before, I just dont have time to scroll back.
Just wondering if anyone has done 044-Snatches before ROP presses.. And how would you do it?

Just wondering if anyone has done 044-Snatches before ROP presses.. And how would you do it?
If memory serves, ETK recommends training swings 2x/week and snatches 1x/week because more snatches could be too much shoulder training. If one is overhead pressing a lot, it makes sense to limit other overhead work.

-S-

The word coming out of the 201 event is that incorporate a+a swings or snatches before your presses. 044 could cause too much energy depletion pre pressing? I’m talking out of my backside at this point though.

The word coming out of the 201 event is that incorporate a+a swings or snatches before your presses. 044 could cause too much energy depletion pre pressing? I’m talking out of my backside at this point though.
Makes sense. Like the old barbell days, do the power move like cleans first in a workout then hit up the grinding movements.

I am currently following ROP 2.0 (an SFG handed it to me, haven't attended KB 201) and I am doing 044 swings (2H and 1H) before my presses. So far I like it a lot. I might change it once things get more serious.

I am currently following ROP 2.0 (an SFG handed it to me, haven't attended KB 201) and I am doing 044 swings (2H and 1H) before my presses. So far I like it a lot. I might change it once things get more serious.
How do you layout 044 with 2hs?

Do you still roll dice for your volume of swings or snatches? Or is a full a+A session recommended each time?

Last edited:
Do you still roll dice for your volume of swings or snatches? Or is a full a+A session recommended each time?
I don’t have the protocol, I’ve just picked up breadcrumbs. I could see doing a step progression a+a protocol. I believe it was @Bauer that said he is doing “044 swings” before hand.

I posted a month ago about some amazing gains I’ve had from ROP.

Well another milestone today after I finished ladders with my 40…on a whim I tried and pressed the 48kg… both sides:)…which frankly I though damn near impossible not that long ago! I also did a rep max the other day and did 6 presses each side with the 40. Snatches are coming along nicely. I did 120 in 10 minutes the other day as well with a 25. Ultimate goal is the SSS test!

Gains just keep coming! ;)

Not a full A+A session, and done before pressing.
In a way, ROP is a grinding continuation of A+A, too (at least with long rests and the lower rung ladders).
I think 50-100 reps with sets of 5-10 should be fine (sometimes snatches, sometimes swings), not going too hard. Timeless could work. 5x10 heavy 2H Swings every 2 minutes could also work, I think.

I don't have the plans, just got a few hints. I have summarized some thoughts on A+A in this post: Kettlebell - A little confusion about A+A

I posted a month ago about some amazing gains I’ve had from ROP.

Well another milestone today after I finished ladders with my 40…on a whim I tried and pressed the 48kg… both sides:)…which frankly I though damn near impossible not that long ago! I also did a rep max the other day and did 6 presses each side with the 40. Snatches are coming along nicely. I did 120 in 10 minutes the other day as well with a 25. Ultimate goal is the SSS test!

Gains just keep coming! ;)
Amazing progress! You’re giving me FOMO rn! Lol. I can’t wait to run this with the 32k! I was so pumped when i pressed my 40 at the end of my 24k cycle! My pullup gains were pretty significant too, but I didn’t focus on the snatch test much.

I'm experimenting with ROP. I'm doing GTG pistol squats on the off days. Keep in mind, my GTG work is more just practicing and gaining the mobility. After a week and a half of practice, I'm actually reaching a touch below parallel. Not too shabby for a guy who weighs in around 280 pounds.

Anybody else experimenting like this with pistols? I honestly haven't noticed that it's taken away from anything on ROP -- yet.

I'm experimenting with ROP. I'm doing GTG pistol squats on the off days. Keep in mind, my GTG work is more just practicing and gaining the mobility. After a week and a half of practice, I'm actually reaching a touch below parallel. Not too shabby for a guy who weighs in around 280 pounds.

Anybody else experimenting like this with pistols? I honestly haven't noticed that it's taken away from anything on ROP -- yet.
I had considered this before too, however calisthenics can be pretty taxing on the cns and may not be a good “off day” exercise for an already demanding program. Could be good in the early weeks, but prolly not later on. Either way i would suggest these regressions instead of just forcing them out. I’ve had better success this way (i still suck at pistols, I’m a bigger guy too).

Currently as we speak working on incorporating that 5th rung w/ the 40 into ROP and holy bannanas It’s tough.

I could knockout 5&5 with a 32 in less than 45 minutes. Doing these long sets with the 40 really drains me though and I have to be at my best just to be able to do it. I’m finding I need lots of rest between….just to have the power to finish. To the point where this is taking well over an hour and I’m not even doing a full set of 5 ladders and 5 rungs yet …

I can spare an hour here or there but 90 minutes plus is really tough.

Question. Am I doing myself a disservice if I spread it out over 2-3 hours… working at home between sets so that I can complete a days workout? Or is it optimal to try and knock it out in 60-90 mins

It depends on the adaptation you are looking to achieve...

"For our strength building purposes it makes little difference whether you have taken 15 minutes, an hour, or a whole day to do your 5 ladders ... extremely long breaks will make you stronger by improving your skill of strength in the tradition of my GTG program from the Naked Warrior."

Not sure what page this is on in the physical copy of RoP, but there is also a discussion regarding the muscle building effects of compressed rest periods in the same section.

Question. Am I doing myself a disservice if I spread it out over 2-3 hours… working at home between sets so that I can complete a days workout? Or is it optimal to try and knock it out in 60-90 mins
It depends on the adaptation you are looking to achieve...

"For our strength building purposes it makes little difference whether you have taken 15 minutes, an hour, or a whole day to do your 5 ladders ... extremely long breaks will make you stronger by improving your skill of strength in the tradition of my GTG program from the Naked Warrior."

Not sure what page this is on in the physical copy of RoP, but there is also a discussion regarding the muscle building effects of compressed rest periods in the same section.

Back
Top Bottom