all posts post new thread

Kettlebell ROP support group

I was actually thinking that about the pumps.  Also, I'll probably do the fighter pullup plan along side it, since I don't have a pullup bar here in my classroom (teacher) to superset with, maybe in the morning since it only takes a few minutes.

Brian d, thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience. I don't have much experience from one-arm swings, but it feels very different from the two-arm version.  I can see how it will helpmto improve the snatch.

OK.  Brought my bell to work today, and I realized something I stupidly ignored before.  I have a period each day set aside for lesson planning and the like.  Well, today, instead of sitting at my desk hacking away at stuff, I performed my RoP work (light day) got some work done for a while, rinse and repeat.  Then toward the end of my prep, I rolled the dice, and since  I'm working on the Fast Tens principle from Easy Strength I just completed the number in sets instead of minutes.  Again, could get some work done during the breaks.  I think this new development is going to be a game changer for me.

Evening everyone,

hope everyone's training is coming along.

had a quick question about pull-ups. Who does them with the rop and is It necessary? I always find my recovery goes down when I mix in pull-ups. Has any one had success not including them and will I  run into problems  if I drop them?

thanks.

Great thread. Thanks Justin.

I've been working ROP 8 months. Started pressing at 16, then 20, then 24, nailed the SSST with the 16, now working snatches with the 20 & plan to test in 3 weeks. The 28 is too much right now. Form breaks down @ 3 reps "the CSZ line" bends a little too much so I microloaded a 2.5lb plate with bungee cords to make a 25 & it works like a charm.

I've gone from pullups to weighted pullups w/ 15, 25, 35 lb DBs, to pistols, back to bodyweight pullups currently just exploring the effect if any on the press & snatch recovery. I switch up every 4 weeks or so, but other than pausing to catch my breath, I don't feel any power loss in the  press from the pulls. It's been stated by many that pulls will help to prevent power imbalances and reduce the potential for shoulder injury so when they're not in my ladders, I add them as 5x5s on variety days.

I thought to revive this thread. Anyone doing ROP at the moment?

I started last week with the 24kg and plan to do this for at least 6 months. I have a 32kg at my disposal so there is something to aim for, but I am really looking forward to "owning" the 24. So for me on the menu: press ladders with the 24, GTG chin-ups, swings, high-pulls and TGU with the 32 on variety days.

I remember the 24 feeling like a very heavy weight when I purchased it last year. Now the 16 feels like a balloon and the 32 like something I'll eventually end up pressing for reps. Just have to be consistent and get on with the programme, Comrades!

Hey folks.  On my third week of ROP with the 20k after doing the PM with the same for about three months (with a bit of time off here and there from travel or a hand injury where I modified my activities to what was possible.)  I'm enjoying it a great deal.  Will start on 5x4 next week, doing it alongside the pullups.  I have been taking a super slow approach to my sets, inspired by the "blank stare of the invulnerable" bit, just kinda doing my rung, chilling out, looking at the trees in my backyard enjoying the morning, pullups, chill, listen to the birds some more.  Takes time but keeps me fresh and gives a certain zen pleasure to the whole experience.  One of the things that sold me most on this whole approach was the non-rushing non-straining approach.  I sometimes feel I should speed it up to not waste time but I'm loving it and it works so why change it?  I was doing fine but hit a bit of an overtraining wall yesterday (my light day.)  The day after my heavy day I was in the downtown core after my weekly progress meeting on my work project and was killing time before Systema class uptown.  I ended up trying to practice my handstands.  Something I would like to get in the long term is the ability to pop up into a handstand and do a freestanding HSPU but I take it easy and just practice once a week or so for a few goes.  Went well, can really feel the difference the ROP is making for my shoulder mobility.  Then I went to Systema and couldn't resist doing what I'd done last time and cleaning and pressing their 24 on each side just to prove to myself that I can do it and that it's not that hard.  Then had a killer class.  Was already a bit tired from my heavy day (monday) and the handstands and then ended up partnered by one of the craziest older russian guys in the class.  I like going to tuesdays because there is this core of mid-40's to 50's russian guys who are clearly ex-military or something and are just really damned strong (in a way that SF would approve.)  They're not the calmest folks and so not always the best for developing my skill but I just feel that I need another shot of getting a bit banged up by some tougher, stronger, more experienced guys.  Not something to make a habit of but I had some of my best insights from getting beat up by the elite amateur boxers in my gym in my late teens and like facing up to that kind of challenge when I can.   Anyway it was all smooth sailing until this guy just beat the crap out of me...was really skilled and strong but not at all calm and just kept getting excited and well, I had a doozy of a fight on my hands (this was not "training" anymore) and it took all I had to keep from just getting beat up/choked out.  Completely wore me out, went home and crashed and woke up with every part of my body completely exhausted.  Did my light day ROP work and went back to bed.  Fortunately I work at home on a delivery-based payment system so I can sleep extra when I need to and I'd just completed a large chunk of work through the weekend so felt justified.  Anyway, the point of all this is I'd been feeling like it was all smooth sailing but it just showed how close to the edge I was running with my training and I just tipped over a little bit too much with the handstands, practice and sparring with the mad russian.  I also realized more fully the importance of strength.  The guy was skilled, no doubt, but his skill was much more serious because he had some serious strength to back it up and unlike what you're really supposed to do during training, he didn't mind using it on me.  I didn't even bother trying to hit back full force because when I did his "armour" just grabbed my force and shifted it around perfectly.  Normally I can penetrate inside people's chests and make their organs sting or put them off balance a bit but this guy was impregnable.  A good goal to aim for.  Mikhail Ryabko put it well something along the lines of "your best friend as a training partner is the one who wants to beat you up."  Anyway, I shifted into serious recovery mode yesterday, sleeping as much as possible and just eating whatever I could - ice cream, chips, ham, nuts, yogurt...whatever I wanted and whatever would have lots of calories.  Normally I can get by without eating too too much but I was on a mission yesterday and it worked out.  Should be good to keep moving with my medium day tomorrow and then have the weekend to recover for my first 5x4 heavy day on monday.  I love the program and am going to stick with it for the forseeable future.  Think I'm gonna try to switch to the 24 in about a month or two and hopefully get to the 32 before winter sets in and my paramedic program starts up with the (mandatory) deadlift training and then just get back on to the PM with whatever bell I'm pressing and just ride out the winter that way until spring brings back the possibility of greater gains and harder training.

Just finished 5 weeks of the ROP today, after 4 months of PM. I'm using a 16kg bell for my C&P / snatches and either 24 or sometimes a 32 for the swings.  As of this week I did 3 reps of TGU on each side on variety day 1 with a 24 and did loaded clans + TGU (5x5 and 5x1 per side) with a 24kg today, variety day 2. Until last week I couldn't do more than 1 rep of the TGU with a 24 (and even that was a huge struggle) so really pleased with my session today.  I do chin-ups on my C&P ladder days. Did 2 weeks of fighter pull-up doing chins alongside ROP but stopped as the volume was getting too much for me.

Here's a few things I wrote down that will help me and maybe others, RoP is a:

-Heavy program, demands time

-Take time between ladders and rungs

-You need volume

-Diet, sleep and rest are all very important

-RoP is a strength program, not a bodybuilding one

-You need patience

-Don't neglect mobility work. Face the wall squat, pump, trifecta from CC2 etc.

If the next size bell feels too heavy for you even when you have completed 5x5 ladders, swinging that heavier bell is a good idea. Lots of swings, one handed, two handed. Keep it simple. 

Jon, excellent list!

I have a few other things that I kept coming back to in my mind when doing RoP:

1. Follow the program.

2. FOLLOW the program.

3. Do alot of test days, they are there for a reason! When I read Easy Strenght I remember Dan John speaking about competing as often as possible. If ETK is your sport (thank you Rob Lawrence) then you should compete often... do test days!

4. The grinds are slow because the weight is heavy. The intent is still to press the weight fast, dont try to hold back! But dont try to jerk it or do something stupid. Focus one is tightness, focus two should be moving the bell fast.

5. Variety day is an awesome day to work the parts that need more work. Where are you leaking tension when pressing overhead? Be truthful. Me I like direct ab work, its where I need it. Keep it light though and focus on tensing the part that needs it a bit extra when pressing.

I intend to stick to the programme as it feels "right" so far and was designed by some very smart people. However, I live in a flat with fairly low ceilings so snatching a 24 is not really an option. I took a leap of faith and snatched the 16 without smashing it into the ceiling, but I don't dare to risk it with the 24. Besides, I'm not strong enough yet to snatch the 24 for reps without it being too hard on my hands (I realise this is also a technique issue I have to address at some point but so far I have stuck with the basics and left snatches alone). I therefore plan to replace the Monday Easy snatches with high pulls with the 24. I think this is better than going down a bell and snatch with the 16, which can also be hard on my hands after a while. I am assuming it is OK to occasionally swing the 24 single-handedly to get used to the feeling. Swinging the 32 with both hands is no big deal, I guess in a few months' time it will be good to swing it with one hand too.

It seems like a demanding programme over time but I work from home a lot so there's no excuse!

Love the ROP.  I'll be getting back to it in mid-August, but for now I'm trying not to think about it and instead focus on my deadlifts.

FlyingPig, why not just do your snatches outside?  You'll also get the bonus weighted carries of getting the bell out and then back in.

Training outside, yes, I wish, but the reality of this "summer" in Northern Ireland means it rains a lot... I'll try whenever I can though.

Ah yes.  I was wondering about your location.  There are a lot of things that one can deal with, but snatching in the rain does sound difficult.

FlyingPig, hop over to London for the weekend, we are promised exotic weather for the next few days.

@flyingpig
A good trick to get better with snatching the 24kg as far as easier on the hands is to do the "health snatch"

Snatch to the top as normal but before the downswing drop to the rack. The downswing is what wretches your hands when your technique and strength are not up to par.

I got more strength gains from ROP than anything i have ever done. I did not miss a light, med, or heavy day for the last 12 weeks. As a friend said, this program is legit.

Twelve weeks ago I was pressing the 24kg bell. I added chinups (pullups are too much for my shoulder at the moment - many dislocations to recover from) and at the end of my 12 weeks I was completing 5 ladders of 4,6,8 with chinups of same numbers and using a 60lb bell.

note that 12 weeks ago I could not do 5 consecutive chinups. at the end off a "hard" day I had done 90 chinups.

I added nothing. I took nothing away.

I had been learning the basics over the last 12 months and just took the SFG course in April. That's when I really understood the ROP and committed to it.

I've gotten more than I bargained from doing this work, and I can honestly say I have become a better and stronger (on many levels) person.

Thank you to everyone who shares. I never thought I could do this, but story after story kept me going.

Whats everyone opinion if for ROP and playing a sport and how or would you do ROP if you are currently playing a sport.  I play in a pickup basketball game once a week like for 2 hours and gold other days.  I find it hard enough to keep the schedule but love ROP.

My apologies for my poor English in  my post.  What I meant is, if you are playing sports, like basketball and golf that will mess with the ROP scheduling, and load., should you not do ROP or how are you guys fitting it all in.  Thanks.

Glad this thread is happening.   I followed ROP for the first 3-4 months of '13 then got a heavier bell and went PM.  As I said in a recent post, I needed a week off and after I felt rested so I decided to revisit the ROP and attemp to complete it.  so  far my light day felt good and my medium day sucked.  I just felt lazy and I was leaking tension.   So I read "the blank serenity of the invulnerable" again and rented the magnificent seven for some inspiration(although I'm much more about mcqueen then brenner) and I'm gonna try to get into that zen state early tomorrow morning for my heavy day .   Wish me luck!

Back
Top Bottom