all posts post new thread

Kettlebell ROP support group

Awsome! One more reason to go for KB Muscle. 20s will be perfect, if not too light. You might even consider 22s (20s plus a 2kg magnet) or 24s. The book said you should use a pair of bells that you can comfortably double press 10x (but not a 10rm), I'd say use anything that falls between your 12-15rm and go with that.

This will be my first program with doubles, though I feel pretty comfortable with the movements for where I am. I'll do the press test with 20s, but easy goes it. Thanks a lot!

Did you test at the end of your 24 kg ROP?

A week off is a good guideline. Stretch, walk, recover.

-S-

I have not tested yet, but plan on it soon. I have been focusing on my Turkish Get Up and Swings primarily since I finished the 24 kg ladders. I finally tackled the 32 kg TGU which has me very happy.

I’ll post results once I test.

Update: a hare ran up my a#@ and I pressed 40kg L and R, in the afternoon after beers and Vietnamese BBQ, no warmup. That's more than 1/2 BW! Secondary goal achieved; it's time to get some beach muscles.
beers and Vietnamese BBQ? seems like recepie for strength

What do people do when a vacation interrupts the ROP progression? I’ve got spring break coming up with my family and I’ll end up taking a week off from training.

What do people do when a vacation interrupts the ROP progression? I’ve got spring break coming up with my family and I’ll end up taking a week off from training.

I'd just repeat last full week you did and go on.

Last edited:
Just a thought, depending on kb size, couldn't you just take it with you? If you're going somewhere by car, just throw it in the trunk. Do your ladders without pullups that week.

I certainly will take it with me (I'm working with the 24kg). My experience in the past has been that when I go on vacation I'm often without a pull up bar. If I just do the ladders then I'm not quite "on program" when I return. It is just a very different program without the pull ups. Also, I'm swinging the 32kg and probably can't bring that bell as well. I was thinking about bringing the 24kg with me and then back tracking a couple of weeks (a wave cycle?) on my return to re-integrate the pull ups and swings.

I'm old, man...50. Things go south pretty quickly when the volume drops.

@jhpowers, I agree that taking a week off is less than ideal. But depending on where you are with the ROP and just how much your family likes you :) it can also be less than ideal to have an hour or more of lifting to do when you're on vacation with your family.

Tough call, and my suggestion is to do something while you're away - take your 24 kg, get in some work, and then simply see where you are when you return. You could back up a couple of weeks as you suggest, or you might find you're actually able to pick up right where you were, either repeating just the last week of "by the book" training or even not doing that and simply continuing to move forward.

Depending on where you're going, you might have access to a pullup bar once in a while, but you should also remember that those are really an "accessory" in the ROP, an optional exercise that can and does help many people without being strictly required in order to make progress for many. Focusing, if you're not doing this already, on a very active negative in your press may be something of a substitute for a pullup if you don't have access to a bar.

-S-

For me I would not be obsessed my missing Just one week. Still 51 more weeks to go. In summer I always go a week on vacation with my family and just enjoy the time to relax. Your body sometimes needs some rest. Besides one week of rest will not break everything down you build up before over a couple of week. I try to in advance to use a program that finishes in time. If not, I go by the feel the first workout, but mostly just repeat last weeks workout. After a week of rest, I do have the "hunger" to start again.

Edit: Disregard below. Saw you're taking the bell with you.

Repeat the last week as mentioned above. Alternatively, if you don't want to take a week off and it's going to be a low key vacation with time to train, contact the closest crossfit gym and see if you can rent a KB from them for the week. It'll be hit or miss depending on the gym. A full rest week is a good thing, but it's good to have options if you want to keep training.

Also, I'm swinging the 32kg and probably can't bring that bell as well.
You could just do snatches the whole week with the 24. I usually do that when I travel. You could do some kind of maintenance like this:

- snatch : sets of 5 otm. As many as your skin allows up to 20 sets.

- press: 2 sets keeping 2 reps in the tank. Probably about 6-8 reps?

If you do this 3 times in a week I bet you return in the same place you left, and it's also only 90 minutes training in a week or less. You can also split the training in as many pieces as you want to save time.

Hello.

I ended my rop cycle two weeks early today.
I made 5x1-5 with 32kg under 40mins. When I started it 32kg was 7rm. It was nice journey, but I was already burning out so I decided to end it properly today.
I'm still quite happy with the results and I'll report my progress in few days.
I guess I need to recover and possibly over compensate first. :)

Keep on ropping in a free world. :)

Hello.

I ended my rop cycle two weeks early today.
I made 5x1-5 with 32kg under 40mins. When I started it 32kg was 7rm. It was nice journey, but I was already burning out so I decided to end it properly today.
I'm still quite happy with the results and I'll report my progress in few days.
I guess I need to recover and possibly over compensate first. :)

Keep on ropping in a free world. :)

Great job! Meanwhile, bulldog anxiously crouches in a corner...

I feel bit like a quitter, but I completed those ladders so I do not now is this quitting.. perhaps low volume double presses next. :)

No at all! When I did ROP with dumbbell, I also did not follow incremental weekly progression up to 13 weeks,
and still I pressed double 45s KBs afterwards. You'll see by testing!

Well, I did not press 44kg, but I'm sure that I can press 40kg. I also did 3x1,2,3 with double 32s. Dbl 32 was 2RM before the rop. Now it's 5-7RM. Decent progress also in dbl c&p. Also 32kg snatches felt light. Even if I did mostly a+a snatches with 24kg and 6-18min non-stop half-snatch sets with 20kg.

I started clean and pressing the 16 kg bell several weeks ago. Maybe it’s a newbie affect, but is a large spike in heart rate normal as I progress up the ladder? By the time I get to rung 3, my heart rate is in the mid 150s. I generally am not taking a break between arms and rungs, but I was surprised my heart rate jumping that high with a relatively light bell.

As a side note, I reached the S&S Simple goal awhile ago. I was trying to go for Sinister but got tennis elbow along the way, had to cut back on the rate I was going. I also was getting bored with just doing swings and TGUs.

Back
Top Bottom