all posts post new thread

Kettlebell ROP support group

I started clean and pressing the 16 kg bell several weeks ago. Maybe it’s a newbie affect, but is a large spike in heart rate normal as I progress up the ladder? By the time I get to rung 3, my heart rate is in the mid 150s. I generally am not taking a break between arms and rungs, but I was surprised my heart rate jumping that high with a relatively light bell.

As a side note, I reached the S&S Simple goal awhile ago. I was trying to go for Sinister but got tennis elbow along the way, had to cut back on the rate I was going. I also was getting bored with just doing swings and TGUs.
Do you mean rung 3 of the very first ladder? I would not expect somebody's heart rate to spike that high that early, unless the bell is just under 5 RM weight.

Might be a work capacity issue. If you say that you needed to slow down your training due to elbow pain, and it means you had to train at a slower pace with a high intensity bell, then your work capacity might have suffered a bit. Find a comfortable rest time between rungs and progressively shorten it.

I started clean and pressing the 16 kg bell several weeks ago. Maybe it’s a newbie affect, but is a large spike in heart rate normal as I progress up the ladder? By the time I get to rung 3, my heart rate is in the mid 150s. I generally am not taking a break between arms and rungs, but I was surprised my heart rate jumping that high with a relatively light bell.
How much rest are you taking? Try taking more.

-S-

To be more specific, the program’s default is rest periods equal to or slightly longer than work periods.

Take your 16 kg and just do singles, alternating sides, and your pulse will shoot right up that way, too, if you don’t rest between.

-S-

To be more specific, the program’s default is rest periods equal to or slightly longer than work periods.

I definitely didn't catch that in the reading. Thanks.

Do you mean rung 3 of the very first ladder? I would not expect somebody's heart rate to spike that high that early, unless the bell is just under 5 RM weight.

More so the 2nd ladder on but I get pretty close during the 1st ladder. I haven't been taking any rest in between rungs until ladder #4 or #5. But Steve's comment makes sense... more rest needed.

@dnguyen411, the original ladder protocol is "I go, you go" and, as such, it's basically equal periods of work and rest. Imagine - I do one pullup, get down from the bar, you go to the bar, you do 1 pullup, you get down from the bar, I go to the bar and do 2, and so on. Probably slightly longer rest than work but basically equal.

That doesn't mean you have to use it that way, but it's a good starting point for most purposes.

-S-

Hello Everybody,

I have a coil set of ironmind captains of crush grippers on the way.

Any tips or advice on how to use them while doing the rite of passage?

I was thinking gtg?

Thank You

Hello Everybody,

I have a coil set of ironmind captains of crush grippers on the way.

Any tips or advice on how to use them while doing the rite of passage?

I was thinking gtg?

Thank You

What is your primary goal??

Question for everyone..

Thoughts on doing the ROP with tall kneeling or half kneeling press? I thought of the idea as these variants help you dial in linkage and also ensure you truly own a bell size so it can be a great way to bridge bell sizes

My primary goal is reach my half bodyweight press and beyond.

For the grippers, I'd like to progress or become more efficient with them without interfering too much with my kettlebell work.

use the light grippers as part of your warmup

GTG with the trainer gripper is fun and easy, and more popular than you might think among people who can close heavier grippers.

-S-

Question: in ROP, are the swings supposed to be 2HS or 1HS? I have looked for the answer in the book, but its referring to "swings" all the time, so I cant tell. Probably missed it.

For some reason, 1HS after the C&P feel pretty hard, a lot harder to what they used to feel during S&S. Maybe its the tension of the C&P? @q.Hung had a similar experience I think. OTOH, 2 hand swings feel great after the presses.

Question: in ROP, are the swings supposed to be 2HS or 1HS? I have looked for the answer in the book, but its referring to "swings" all the time, so I cant tell. Probably missed it.

For some reason, 1HS after the C&P feel pretty hard, a lot harder to what they used to feel during S&S. Maybe its the tension of the C&P? @q.Hung had a similar experience I think. OTOH, 2 hand swings feel great after the presses.

@Oscar I'm about 99% sure that the swings for the medium & heavy days were intended to be (heavier weight than snatch weight) 1 hand swings to carry over to your snatching.
If I'm mistaken, I'm sure somebody will let us know.

I've asked others before, and it seems like a popular option is to split the heavy C&P and the heavy swings to 2 separate days.

I guess you can go to 2 hand swings if hitting snatch goal is not that important.

Good Luck!

That makes sense, thanks. Do you know that it is that the book prescribes?
I believe it says something like "It's up to you".

The swings are the 10% conditioning cherry on top of the 90% strength program sundae. It's a way to get 1x/week HIIT session, an easier HIIT session, and an easy snatch practice session.

I personally liked heavier bell one-arm A+A style session (5 OTM x 20+ minutes) on a separate day from the pressing, 1 snatch day (after the light press session), and either a dice roll "to a comfortable stop" one- or two-arm swing day, or S&S style 10 x 10 EMOM "medium" day (at the time 20kg was my RoP bell so I did these swings with 24kg but I had attained Simple, so it was a moderate effort).

Another reason i can think is the swing in SnS is a main dish, with the biggest porpotion and greatest piority ( begin of the practice season right after the warm up, greatest volume) We focuse our best of best on it each season. With Rop, the swing/ snatch become second piority, after the huge volume of press. So the feeling we get from the swing is different in ROP.
Short answer: Swing at begining and swing at the end bring different feeling.

Back
Top Bottom