all posts post new thread

Kettlebell ROP support group

Finished my RoP with 20kg. Man that was a tough one! Need some time off cause both of my elbows started to ache.. Definetly will be doing it again later on this year!
Did you do the pull ups as well?

I started to feel my ellbows pretty quickly and I alternate weighted pull ups (ladders), 5 bodyweight pull ups after every ladder and band pulls after every ladder.

Light: + weighted PU ladders
Medium: + 5x5 Pull ups BW
Heavy: + 15-20 Band pull aparts x5

I think this helps.

I started to feel my ellbows pretty quickly and I alternate weighted pull ups (ladders), 5 bodyweight pull ups after every ladder and band pulls after every ladder.

I think this helps.
I definitely felt pain in my elbows when I jumped into the sets w weighted 16kg pull-ups. Was fine up until then.

I think this helps.
Yes i did pull-ups with bodyweight. I was able to complete with pull ups. But i take some time off now from upper body and let it rest for a bit and i think it will be fine!

I’m currently doing soju & tuba with 24kg to prepare myself to use it for rop. I’m doing 10x10 (32kg) swings before pressing and it seems to work fine. Is that ok for rop as well? I kind of hesitate to roll dice and go by feel. s&s has been so easy to follow. How do most people do the swing part nowadays, since s&s and q&d has been published since etk... ?

I’m currently doing soju & tuba with 24kg to prepare myself to use it for rop. I’m doing 10x10 (32kg) swings before pressing and it seems to work fine. Is that ok for rop as well? I kind of hesitate to roll dice and go by feel. s&s has been so easy to follow. How do most people do the swing part nowadays, since s&s and q&d has been published since etk... ?
Roll the dice. Pray it lands on anything below 5.

I'm on about week 9 of my ROP progression with a 24kg. For the medium and heavy day swings, I've been doing the dice roll, but then I'll just use that number as my time for sets on the minute. Then I set basic rep parameters for varying rolls. For instance, on Heavy day, if I roll 2,3,or 4, I'll try to get between 20-30 reps each minute. A roll of 5,6,7 or 8, I'll be between 15-25. A roll of 9 or above, and I'm probably doing sets of no more than 15. Medium day is similar, but just slightly fewer reps.

Rather than starting a new thread I thought I'd share some progress and then post some questions here... may be rather long, please bear with me...

Weight drop avg: 1kg /month for the last 6 months (now 114kg)

Training:
Month 1-4 (Mixing things up and experimenting)
1. PTTP (Hex Bar DL + Flat BP)
2. some jogging and lots of walking
3. S&S swings only no TGU (my mobility is lacking I find it difficult to execute even with light / no weight)
4. Practice C&P w/ 12kgs / 16kgs
5. Read Viking Warrior Conditioning and attempted to do some of that but only gain is I know my cadence for Snatch...

Take away:
Any bell <= 12kgs I feel I can swing (1H or 2H), C&P and Snatch without issues.

Month 5:
After burning out from too much VWC, then (mis) read ETK ROP and started running ROP like EMOM and then buring out even more...

Month 6:
At some point in Month 5, read more on the ROP forum and realized I was meant to do some min rest (ie.. 30secs between rungs, 3 mins between ladders) ... took a break for a week, and retesting my C&P ladder style with a 16kg bell and completed 5x (1,2,3,4,5)
So at that point rearranged and started ROP again with 20kgs bell.
Yesterday just completed Week 4 of 13 (Heavy day 1x(1,2,3,4) + 4x(1,2,3) )

Now I have a new realization... I thought we were suppose to do "Pull Days" on the same days as the Light / Moderate / Heavy C&P days.
But some of the forum articles seems to say otherwise...
Now my upper strength is not enough for me to do a pull up... Pull Day for me I thought was Snatch + Swings...
I do Snatch on my Light day, and this week it was 20x6 every 30 seconds
I do Swings (10x7 EMOM) on Heavy Day, and (10x10 EMOM) on Moderate day

On variety days, I'd do some sprints (Treadmill intervals i.e. 8x1min w/ 1:1 rest), and maybe play some basketball...

Am I doing this right?

The pulls are the snatches and swings and are core (IMO). There is an option for pullups to be added, which become an additional pull.

I will start rop with a 24kg soon, after I finish soju & tuba with it and I have a few questions.

1. During first weeks with 3 and 4 rungs on a heavy day, am I supposed to do already 5 ladders with reduced rungs on a light and medium day.
5 x 1 on a light day. And 5 x (1,2) on a medium day?

2. Currently doing soju & tuba on monday, wednesday, friday and swings on tuesday and thursday. (10 x 10, 2h). Warmup with 2 sets of goblet squat, some shoulder mobility and after lifting go for a walk. Seems to work guite fine! On weekends Im quite busy and would like to keep training every day from monday to friday. Do you think it would be a good solution to keep doing what Im doing but switch s&t for rop presses.

Monday: rop presses, heavy day
Tuesday: 10 x 10 swings
Wednesday: rop presses, light day
Thursay: 10 x 10 swings
friday: rop presses, medium day

edit. for what it`s worth, I worked to 36 timeless in S&S and I would swing 32 or 36.

Variety Day

Thursday - It is written to do 5x5 loaded cleans and 5x1 TGU.

For clarity, is this asymmetrical, looking like this in execution?
x5 loaded clean weak side, x1 TGU weak side
x5 loaded clean strong side, x1 TGU strong side

FIN

Thank you.

@Nacho

A press and swing plan on separate days:

I did that after rop with a 20....and achieved a 28 1RM.
You'll need a couple plates to gaffer tape to a bell. Can't remember....I have 2x24 so stuck a 2kg to one of them and a plate to a 20....so 22, 24, 26 kg bells were my working bells. And then 2 plates to make 28....actually may have been 2.5s, whatever.

Currently doing rop now with a 24, working 4th rung at 5 sets.
Less volume of the above is appealing ?

Variety Day

Thursday - It is written to do 5x5 loaded cleans and 5x1 TGU.

For clarity, is this asymmetrical, looking like this in execution?

FIN

Thank you.
My reading of 5 x 1 for TGU is five sets each side. Just as with 5 x 5 being both sides. Therefore it would be double what you've written.

Hey everyone! About to start ROP next week. Read through ETK a couple times. Recently achieved my Timed Simple goal after about 1.5 years of dedicated S&S practice, more or less starting from zero strength training. Stoked! Also, I recently pressed a 32kg for 1 rep on my right with absolutely no pressing practice. What the hell?!

I’m planning on using the 24kg for my C&Ps but was a little unclear on what bell the program suggests for the swings/snatches. I couldn’t find a recommendation anywhere after rereading certain sections many times. Did I miss that?

Coming from Timed Simple, I’ve gotten quite comfortable swinging a 40kg. I was thinking of using that for my heavy and medium swings and then a 24kg for my light snatches. I want to follow the program as written, but since I couldn’t figure out the pull recommendation, does that sound right? Or am I going off the program at that point?

If I’ve learned anything over the past couple years, it’s to do as Pavel says, so I just want to make sure I am.

Also I apologize in advance if this question was already addressed. I tried searching and have read through a lot on this thread and couldn’t find it. Thanks!

@kennyduhshark, in ROP, Pavel indicates that heavy day swings are all out 100% effort, medium days are 75% volume of what you are able to accomplish and light snatch days are 50% effort. That would be by the book. As to which bell to use? My interpretation when I first read the book was to use the same bell as the C&Ps for true minimalism. Basic interpretation: medium days should be done at less exertion than heavy days, go easy on the snatches.

When I finally got around to completing the ROP, I actually used heavy swing days for single arm swings with a bell 4kg higher than my press bell, and the heavy days were 2H swings with a bell 8kg higher, and snatches were done with my press bell.

@kennyduhshark, in ROP, Pavel indicates that heavy day swings are all out 100% effort, medium days are 75% volume of what you are able to accomplish and light snatch days are 50% effort. That would be by the book. As to which bell to use? My interpretation when I first read the book was to use the same bell as the C&Ps for true minimalism. Basic interpretation: medium days should be done at less exertion than heavy days, go easy on the snatches.

When I finally got around to completing the ROP, I actually used heavy swing days for single arm swings with a bell 4kg higher than my press bell, and the heavy days were 2H swings with a bell 8kg higher, and snatches were done with my press bell.
Thanks for that! Kinda what I thought but also thought it was conflicting if you are meant to progress to a 32kg and then potentially 40kg as your pressing bell, but meant to keep 24kg as your snatch bell. Seems like most people take some liberties with the pull section of the program. My fear is to loose any of my progress made with my swings from S&S, but maybe there’s nothing to worry about.

You said “heavy” twice, did you mean to say medium for one of those days?

Just got a 28 so I'm about to start ROP again. I completed it with a 24 earlier this year then detoured into doubles programming as I was short on time when my daughter was born and didn't have a bigger bell i could press. Wish me luck!

I'm thinking of easy running on Variety days. Has anyone done this?

Just got a 28 so I'm about to start ROP again. I completed it with a 24 earlier this year then detoured into doubles programming as I was short on time when my daughter was born and didn't have a bigger bell i could press. Wish me luck!

I'm thinking of easy running on Variety days. Has anyone done this?
I haven't ran on variety days, but the last 3 months I've played pick up bball 3 to 4 times a week and ran ROP 3 days week and it has worked for me.

I haven't posted much over the last several months, but I have been reading. I did a strength test this morning have finishing my latest ROP cycle a week ago today and I was encouraged by my results. I've been running ROP since Dec 2020. Started with 16kg, which was too light, but my next heaviest weight at the time was 24 kg and I wasn't ready for that. I fast tracked the 16kg in about 5 weeks and took about 8 weeks with the 20kg once I received it. In March I was ready for the 24 and I took the full 13 weeks and was doing strict presses with cleans on each rep. I tested in May and at the time and I could not press 32 kg and I could press 28kg 3 times one each side. Knowing that it was going to be a grind and take me longer than 13 weeks, I decided to run ROP with the 28. The first few weeks weren't bad, but we the weeks moved on, I decided I would need to do push presses for about half the reps. In lieu of pullups, I was doing KB rows between rungs. I had to take 10 days off for a hamstring injury that was most likely due to pick up basketball. Once I returned I finished strong and was doing mostly strict presses the last 2 to 3 weeks. The last session took about 90 mins. I took a week off from bells and today I was able to clean and press 32 kg once on each side and press 28 kg 7 times on each side. I've decided to stick with the 28 for another cycle and focus on doing strict c&p (no push) for every rep. I am also going to drop the kb rows . Goal is to get stronger and reduce my session times and by the end of 2021 be able to press 32 kg at least 3 to 5 times on each side. Then I can kick Jan 2022 off with the 32kg ROP cycle. Many thanks to @Steve Freides for the suggestion of ROP last December. My strength has improved insignificantly over the last 10 months and it has made me a stronger basketball player, both physically and mentally. It is a grind, especially the heavy days at the end of the session, but it definitely works!

Back
Top Bottom