all posts post new thread

Kettlebell ROP support group

I've been running RoP in two week blocks alternated with the BJJ Fanatics KB program from StrongFirst and I'm finding it's working for me thus far, like if I'm getting a bit run down from the RoP Volume, the lower volume in the beginner's BJJ Fanatics program suits me.
Inspired by this I am now starting my own ROP/KBSF block training phase, rotating C&P and LCCJ every two weeks, as in ROTK. The strength block follows ROP style programming and the power block single bell LCCJ plan KBSF Plan A/B. I will use the same bell for both blocks (which is a 5RM C&P, 10RM LCCJ).

I hope to progress to a heavier bell in both exercises in about 6-8 months and will report back in a couple of months.

Last edited:
Inspired by this I am not starting my own ROP/KBSF block training phase, rotating C&P and LCCJ every two weeks, inspired by ROTK. The strength block follows ROP style programming and the power block single bell LCCJ plan KBSF Plan A/B. I will use the same bell for both blocks (which is a 5RM C&P, 10RM LCCJ).

I hope to progress to a heavier bell in both exercises in about 6-8 months and will report back in a couple of months.
I’m using the KBSF plan using the swing, getup and goblet squat. I’ll likely get around to the clean and jerk after I consistently train the KBSF plan beginner and intermediate for at least a year or so.

Looking at running another cycle of ROP and need help with my variation day.
Is the Bent press a good alternative to the TGU or will it affect my recovery for pressing?

I'm looking for a bit of help with my pullup programming into RoP. I am currently focusing them to the RoP Medium day (middle pullup column), and sometimes Light (right pullup column) alongside snatches. I wanted to make sure I had the strength to progress the Heavy day (left pullup column) so I've since dropped them.

I then see programs like this which are prescribing quite a bit less pullups per day The Fighter Pullup Program Revisited | StrongFirst. For example, I would only do "Day 1 3, 2, 1, 1" 7 pull ups total. I guess part of it is that there is no rest between days.

Perhaps I should swap the reps so I am able to do the higher count reps first when I am fresh?

Does anyone do pullups alongside snatches? in the RoP book the pullup sessions is only mentioned alongside the press program.

Screenshot 2022-11-05 at 2.59.49 pm.png

Oh, there was also a special topic for the program I started. As the saying goes: He who seeks finds.
Since I'm doing the program at home and I don't have the opportunity to do pull-ups, can I end up with snatches? I did the training yesterday in this way.

Oh, there was also a special topic for the program I started. As the saying goes: He who seeks finds.
Since I'm doing the program at home and I don't have the opportunity to do pull-ups, can I end up with snatches? I did the training yesterday in this way.
I believe Pavel warns against doing too many snatches so you don't wear your shoulders out, same reason why you only snatch on the light day. The book is pretty specific, but YMMV.

Do you have a tree you can do pullups from?

I believe Pavel warns against doing too many snatches so you don't wear your shoulders out, same reason why you only snatch on the light day. The book is pretty specific, but YMMV.

Do you have a tree you can do pullups from?
Basically, I can't pull up at this stage because I'm heavy. But I can do about 5 chin-ups and I think I'll do them, but either it should be on a separate day or immediately after training I'll go outside. And now winter is coming.
At home, I cannot do the exercise under any circumstances. There's nowhere to hang a chin-up rig. I'm wondering if I should do a kettlebell row.

I can do about 5 chin-ups
I'm a heavy guy at 5'10" (178cm) and 245lbs (111kg).

My arms are not very developed. but practicing singles for several weeks (about a month) did get me a test day for my military unit of 6 pull-ups. when I started training for it, I could only do 1.

I'm told that practicing about Half your Max Repetitions is one of the smartest ways to develop higher reps.
So, if you can do 5 max, then doing sets of 2 or 3 with plenty of rest could be a very good way to increase that number.

When I was young I did it with one hand - twice with the right and once with the left. But I weighed 40 kg. less. I also trained in gymnastics for a while. I'm exactly your height and only 1 kilo lighter. In the last month I have gained about 7 kg, but it is mostly due to food. About 5 years ago I was doing pull-ups, but because I was heavy I injured my brachioradialis arm. I've been in pain for almost a year and since then I've only been doing chin-ups or parallel grip pull-ups.

I am considering to attend the Kettlebell 201 workshop.
Are the goals in the Kettlebell 201 programs still the same as in Enter the Kettlebell? Half-bodyweight press and snatch test.
Are pull ups still recommended?

I have a question because I'm a bit confused. If, for example, I do 3x (1, 2, 3) on a heavy day, how will I proceed on a light day:
3x(1) or 1x (1, 2, 3) and respectively in medium day 3x(1, 2) or 2x(1, 2, 3).
I'm pretty sure it's the first option, but I'll ask anyway.

Last edited:
I have a question because I'm a bit confused. If, for example, I do 3x (1, 2, 3) on a heavy day, how will I proceed on a light day:
3x(1) or 1x (1, 2, 3) and respectively in medium day 3x(1, 2) or 2x(1, 2, 3)
Heavy: 3x(1,2,3)
Medium: 3x(1,2)
Light: 3x(1)

The other version can be an option for other plans.

In my version, this is spelled out in detail on page 136 in chapter 4.

3x(1) or 1x (1, 2, 3) and respectively in medium day 3x(1, 2) or 2x(1, 2, 3).
I'm pretty sure it's the first option, but I'll ask anyway.
Also check this summary:

8-jpg.2385

from this post:

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.
Great, that's guaranteed me 26 weeks of at least training without asking myself questions about what and how to train. I mean when I'm done with KB20 and then switch to KB24. I'll think about it later. I'll probably take KB28 and my wife will beat me :) She doesn't want me to train with KB at home at all.

The only problem with this table is the use of week numbers and the assumption that rep progression is every week.
Plus, as you @Bauer have pointed out yourself, there is no mention of a 1RM test.
Otherwise, it's a good summary :)
Thanks for pointing that out :)

I certainly don't know the program well and I don't know when, how and what to test. I'll be doing basic C&P, and as a supplement I might include rows, push-ups, or snatches. I can't do chins at home. I think if I follow the structure strictly my C&P will go up. First with KB20, then with KB24, then with KB28, KB32 (if my wife hasn't already killed me after I tell her I'll need more and more KB) and so on. Just so I don't get bored. Roughly speaking, this is at least 1 year of ROP.

Back
Top Bottom