all posts post new thread

Kettlebell ROP support group

8-jpg.2385

@stevein7 here is a spreadsheet that precisely lays out the ROP when you use you 5-8RM bell for clean+press. My initial post to you started you out at week 1. Your post had you in week 13, the final week

@stevein7 , I would test my RM with the 24kg before moving up to it for a training weight, if I were you.
If 24kg still too heavy for ROP, you can work on increasing density, or add ladders for more volume, with 20kg.

@stevein7 here is a spreadsheet that precisely lays out the ROP when you use you 5-8RM bell for clean+press. My initial post to you started you out at week 1. Your post had you in week 13, the final week
So when you move up a bell you start at week 1? I did not realise youstart on the heavy day (friday/saturday in the book, there seem to be two schemes set out, one seems to be wrong to me) I thought you started on light day (monday).

No doubt a good idea, how do I locate one near me?
There is an instructor search feature here:

1677359483008.pngWhen it comes to the snatches and the swings, is there a set protocol. I was doing a long set, putting the bell down, doing some more... should they be performed unbroken?

View attachment 20680When it comes to the snatches and the swings, is there a set protocol. I was doing a long set, putting the bell down, doing some more... should they be performed unbroken?
They don't have to be unbroken. Especially for the snatches on the easy day, I wouldn't recommend going for a lot of burn, or anything like that. Practice your snatches in sets for the duration dictated by the dice roll.

@stevein7 , I would test my RM with the 24kg before moving up to it for a training weight, if I were you.
If 24kg still too heavy for ROP, you can work on increasing density, or add ladders for more volume, with 20kg.

Just for future reference, would that same rep scheme work with double kettlebells. I highly doubt I will buy more bells, but using 2x24 is an option eventually.

I just, finally, finished the full ROP program to 32kg last week with all 75 pull-ups, on my third try.

The two big problems I had were that I rushed the pyramids of 5 (to get them done and move to the higher weight/lower reps), and the pull-ups were just too hard to scale up. This time around, I forced myself to slowly progress through pyramids (doing 2x4 + 3x3, then 3x4 + 2x3, then 4x4 + 1x3, rather than jumping to 5x4 because I could). That gave the pull-ups enough time to keep up, and when I finally got to 5x5 last week, I was able to do all five pyramids with good form

I plan on starting ROP next week with some GTG Pistol Squat practice on variety days.
But I have some questions.
1) I have heard that a typical session can take an hour easily when you add pullups. I was thinking of adding pullups only after the top rung, instead of every rung. So far example 1L, 1R, 2L, 2R, 3L, 3R, 3 pullups. Could this work? Or would the volume of pullups be too low to make progress to the later days?
2) I toy with the idea to alternate between one block of 13 weeks RoP and one block of Q&D of 8 weeks. Could this help to improve my snatches to reach the 200 reps in 10 minutes? Or would it be better to only run RoP? I don't have time for 5 full session, so it is not an option to run Q&D on variety days.
3) I'm in doubt how to run the snatches and swings the best. I was thinking of running an RM test. Then take the prescribed percentages of that amount and run that autoregulated for the amount of time prescribed by the dice? For example when I test 10rm and I need to do 60%, I do sets of 6 for the duration. Starting a new set when I can manage the talktest.

Subject: Completing the Right of Passage with 28kg: My 14-week Journey

Hey everyone,

I wanted to share an exciting achievement with you all. I've just finished the Right of Passage (RoP) program using a 28kg kettlebell. This accomplishment took me 14 weeks in total, with one of those weeks sidelined due to a cold.

The progress I've made is huge. Before the RoP program, I could only press 32kg once per arm. Now, after the program, I can press 32kg seven times with my left arm and eight times with my right arm. .

The first few weeks were relatively relaxed as the volume was low, and the training sessions finished quite swiftly. However, towards the end, they took significantly longer. For the first nine weeks, I rested between the rungs of the ladder for the same duration as the number of repetitions on that rung – one minute after the first, two minutes after the second, and so on.

In the last four weeks, I started to rest based on my feeling, which significantly reduced my time. Occasionally, during the medium days, I intentionally rested only two minutes per rung to vary the stimuli.

For snatches and swings, I used a dice roll. If the dice showed a seven, I performed ten snatches or swings with auto-regulation and ten reps in a row. However, in the last few weeks, I barely did any swings and snatches, sticking to the minimum of 20 reps, sometimes with a lower weight than usual.

Tomorrow, I'll be undergoing the 5-minute snatch test. I'm curious to see if the strength I've gained can compensate for the lack of endurance. Last year, I completed the RoP with 24kg, doing a lot of snatches and a lot of cardio on the side, including at least one Judo session per week and nearly 8km running every week.

This time around, I barely did any cardio. In 14 weeks, I did Judo twice and only ran once. Last year, I managed 75 repetitions during the snatch test. If I manage more this time, it'll be proof that strength is more critical than cardio.

I'm certainly glad that the program is now over, as it became mentally very taxing. Up next for me is Kettlebell Strong. Another RoP round with 32kg would undoubtedly be beneficial, but I want to try something different.

All in all, I'm very satisfied with the progress I've made. Can't wait to see where this journey takes me next!

EDIT: I managed 80reps in the snatch test today. I am a little bit disappointed. I thought I could reach the 100. But it is still an improvement. Especially if you consider that I didn't train for the snatch test for weeks.

Keep lifting,
KOW

Last edited:
Subject: Completing the Right of Passage with 28kg: My 14-week Journey

Hey everyone,

I wanted to share an exciting achievement with you all. I've just finished the Right of Passage (RoP) program using a 28kg kettlebell. This accomplishment took me 14 weeks in total, with one of those weeks sidelined due to a cold.

The progress I've made is huge. Before the RoP program, I could only press 32kg once per arm. Now, after the program, I can press 32kg seven times with my left arm and eight times with my right arm. .

The first few weeks were relatively relaxed as the volume was low, and the training sessions finished quite swiftly. However, towards the end, they took significantly longer. For the first nine weeks, I rested between the rungs of the ladder for the same duration as the number of repetitions on that rung – one minute after the first, two minutes after the second, and so on.

In the last four weeks, I started to rest based on my feeling, which significantly reduced my time. Occasionally, during the medium days, I intentionally rested only two minutes per rung to vary the stimuli.

For snatches and swings, I used a dice roll. If the dice showed a seven, I performed ten snatches or swings with auto-regulation and ten reps in a row. However, in the last few weeks, I barely did any swings and snatches, sticking to the minimum of 20 reps, sometimes with a lower weight than usual.

Tomorrow, I'll be undergoing the 5-minute snatch test. I'm curious to see if the strength I've gained can compensate for the lack of endurance. Last year, I completed the RoP with 24kg, doing a lot of snatches and a lot of cardio on the side, including at least one Judo session per week and nearly 8km running every week.

This time around, I barely did any cardio. In 14 weeks, I did Judo twice and only ran once. Last year, I managed 75 repetitions during the snatch test. If I manage more this time, it'll be proof that strength is more critical than cardio.

I'm certainly glad that the program is now over, as it became mentally very taxing. Up next for me is Kettlebell Strong. Another RoP round with 32kg would undoubtedly be beneficial, but I want to try something different.

All in all, I'm very satisfied with the progress I've made. Can't wait to see where this journey takes me next!

EDIT: I managed 80reps in the snatch test today. I am a little bit disappointed. I thought I could reach the 100. But it is still an improvement. Especially if you consider that I didn't train for the snatch test for weeks.

Keep lifting,
KOW
GJ, 80 is pretty good for not training it. I manage to always stay close but need the specific training to push me over.

I’m giving a go with the 32k presently. @ 2(1,2,3,4), 3(1,2,3). Things are starting to get real.

Just for future reference, would that same rep scheme work with double kettlebells. I highly doubt I will buy more bells, but using 2x24 is an option eventually.
Yes, this is actually done in Return of the Kettlebell. However, Pavel uses a different strategy for medium and light days there. But the ROP programming should work. Be sure to take enough rest between sets.

Had to post here and say that i made it through ROP with the 32k (my bell is actually a 33k so i get bonus points)! Some days i saved ballistics for the off day but i stuck to the program pretty close. Heavy days were long drawn put sessions but this program always delivers.
I was previously unable to put the 40k up on the L side but this got me over the hump. I can now do 2 on the right as well.
Worked in 32k snatches and have gotten quite proficient with them. Can comfortably do 5r a+a sessions now.
Love this program!

Last edited:
Had to post here and say that i made it through ROP with the 32k (my bell is actually a 33k so i get bonus points)! Some days i saved ballistics for the off day but i stuck to the program pretty close. Heavy days were long drawn put sessions but this program always delivers.
I was previously unable to put the 40k up on the L side but this got me over the hump. I can now do 2 on the right as well.
Worked in 32k snatches and have gotten quite proficient with them. Can comfortably do 5r a+a sessions now.
Love this program!
Great work man. Any physique changes you've noticed?

Back
Top Bottom