all posts post new thread

Kettlebell ROP Swing Advice

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Gray6262

First Post
Background:

I'm a 26 year old male with a pretty extensive athletic background and what most here would probably consider a small to moderate amount of kettlebell experience. I'm 6'1" and 210lbs. I'm probably an intermediate barbell lifter with an approximately 265 lb benchpress and 475 pound deadlift.

I'm an "occupational athlete" (or whatever you want to call it). I'm very well conditioned by my job's standards, strength is my biggest area for improvement. Consequently I'm not really concerned with the SSST and really want to use my swings to increase strength and power. I understand the value of training for things like the SSST, but my professional need for strength is the priority for me.

I'm about to start ROP. I only have access to a 24 and a 32kg bell. The 24 is a great weight for my presses but the 32 seems light for my swings considering my need to emphasize strength over conditioning. I can do 100 crisp swings with it in 5 minutes without much difficulty.

Because of work obligations and logistics I will only be able to train with the bells 3 days a week.

So my question is....

Considering these goals and constraints what 3 day per week swing protocol would be best?

Maybe "shadow swings" combined with high rep single arm swings?

Or duct taping 10lb plates to the bottom of the 32kg bell? If so what type of set/rep/volume scheme would be best?

Or something else?

I've found great advice on this forum in the past, thanks in advance for everyone's thoughts and comments!

I’ve learned from asking similar questions about swings in RoP: they are a side dish to the main course, the press.

You could do the swings S&S style (100 reps in sets of 5-10, heavy, powerful, 1:4-6 work/rest), but you may be wiped on the heavy press days, in which case higher reps with lighter weight will maintain your conditioning. You could even plan on this, such as heavy press volume day is lighter “strength endurance” swings, and medium press volume day is S&S power swings.

Soo ive been doing RoP. on medium days ive been doing some swing, high pull chains. adding the high pull has been good for me and if 32 feels lightish for swings then maybe high pulls could be a fun addition (since doing them my snatches have way improved). ive been keeping my reps around 100-180 reps total. loaded carry's are also a good thing to do any time. either suitcase carry your 32, uneven farmers or rack carry. Enjoy your time with RoP.

Soo ive been doing RoP. on medium days ive been doing some swing, high pull chains. adding the high pull has been good for me and if 32 feels lightish for swings then maybe high pulls could be a fun addition (since doing them my snatches have way improved). ive been keeping my reps around 100-180 reps total. loaded carry's are also a good thing to do any time. either suitcase carry your 32, uneven farmers or rack carry. Enjoy your time with RoP.
Great tip to blend in high pulls on medium day. Makes a lot of sense. By ‘chain’ do you mean alternating rep-to-rep, or like 5 swings, 5 high pulls, switch arms, rest, repeat?

If 32 is easy for you on the swings, you vould consider doing snatches with 32 2x/week on light and medium day. Keep the reps low and crisp like 3-5. On the heavy day you could still do 1h-swings and go all out.

I like the idea of doing snatches on medium day as well, I'll give that a shot. Thanks for everyone's input!

If 32 is easy for you on the swings, you vould consider doing snatches with 32 2x/week on light and medium day. Keep the reps low and crisp like 3-5. On the heavy day you could still do 1h-swings and go all out.

Looking over my response i have to edit some advice:
You do not hace to use the 32 for snatches but of course you could if you are strong enough and have great tecnique. But using the 24 is fine!

Here's how I'd do it:

Medium press + snatch @70-80%
Light press + snatch @50%
Heavy press + 1h-swings @100% (don't hesitate do do 10-30/arms)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom