all posts post new thread

Kettlebell ROP swings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Gray6262

First Post
I apologize if this has already been covered, but I haven't been able to find it. Anyways, I'm planning on starting ROP and will unfortunately only have access to a single 28kg kettlebell. For me this is a good weight for presses but two handed swings feel very light. How should I best approach this? Two hand swings on light day, snatches and/or single arm swings on the other days? Only snatches and single arm swings? Just do my two arm swings really explosively?
Thanks in advance for the advice

I apologize if this has already been covered, but I haven't been able to find it. Anyways, I'm planning on starting ROP and will unfortunately only have access to a single 28kg kettlebell. For me this is a good weight for presses but two handed swings feel very light. How should I best approach this? Two hand swings on light day, snatches and/or single arm swings on the other days? Only snatches and single arm swings? Just do my two arm swings really explosively?
Thanks in advance for the advice
Welcome. If it were me, I'd stick with one-arm swings with a "light" bell (relatively) to keep it intense enough, and/or increase the reps per set - so instead of 10 per arm, do 16 per arm in a set before resting.

Just increase the reps.
I wouldn't mind swinging for sets of 50reps or more.
Remember, the swings in RoP are to support the goal of completing the 10min SSST.
On average a snatch takes 2sec. For the SSST you have to do 200reps in 10min, which means 20reps (most likely in the form of 10r/10l) per minute, which means 40sec work to only 20sec rest for the entire 10min. That's really brutal.
IMO constantly swinging for 1, 2 or even 3 mins without stopping/putting the KB down prepares you very well for this.

If the 28 is a good weight for presses I think it's still quite heavy for your snatches, right?
I'd go for "easy" 3-5/3-5 (meaning 3-5 reps one one hand, then 3-5 reps on the other, then put the bell down) snatches on your light days.
10-15/10-15 1H-swings on your medium days and very long sets (sets of 30-50+) of 2H-swings on your heavy days.

Gray,

Based on your situation, I would Swing S&S style in sets off 10 at the top of the minute and vary the load by performing 6 sets on a light day, 8 on a medium day and 10 on the heavy day. Keep these anti-glycolytic, focussing on maximum power for each rep. It will serve you well. Ask anyone who just attended Pavel's first Strong Endurance course last weekend in Denver.

Shawn

I don't think RoP prescribes a particular swing style - certainly there is nothing written in my copy of Enter the Kettlebell.

I think doing 1 arm swings would be the best way of supporting the snatches on light day.

I don't think RoP prescribes a particular swing style - certainly there is nothing written in my copy of Enter the Kettlebell.

I think doing 1 arm swings would be the best way of supporting the snatches on light day.
Agreed - as RoP is a pressing and snatch focused program, the swings are there to support the snatch component. Since the snatch is one-arm, heavier (4-8kg bigger bell than snatch bell) swings fits the bill. I believe ETK prescribes rolling a pair of dice to get the duration of swings, so between 2-12 minutes of varying intensity (reps per minute).

I think I'm going to give kettlebelephant's strategy a try and see how it works. I appreciate all the advice!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom