all posts post new thread

Kettlebell RoP Tweek

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

twillenberg01

Level 1 Valued Member
So as I'm finishing up S&S. I am looking forward to what I want to do next, or I should say looking back as the next thing that I want to do is RoP. I really remembered enjoying But instead of the one are over head press I wonder what you guys think about substituting that for one arm bench press (with a kettlebell). Id still have the pull-ups in there.

I know the first question will be why? Well the first answer is that I want to increase bench pressing and the program did an amazing job for over head pressing. The other answer is basic vanity I want to get bigger chest (sue me).

Any opinions... or do you think if those are my goals I should do a different program because that is specified for overhead pressing?

In Intervention Dan John talks about how demanding 1-arm bench and 1-arm rows are for your CNS.
Maybe the volume of RoP is too much for 1-arm bench. Just a guess by me. Others may have more insight on this.

Don't you have access to a gym? I'd imagine there are better ways to build a big chest and big bench than making a Frankenstein 1-armed bench ROP program.

Last edited:
My opinion is that taking the press out of ROP, isn't a tweak, it's no longer even close to ROP. Which then begs the question, is a low rep volume ladder approach the right tool for building a bigger chest?
Is the KB bench the best tool if the main goal is aesthetic? I would think if you were going for size, that there are a thousand body building programs to chase.
Or is it that you just have access to KB's, but still want to focus on chest aesthetics?

If it were me, I'd do ROP by the book, and work in chest work separately. For me that would be ring pushups and/or chest dips. Between the light days, variety days, and maybe even GTG on off days you could probably get a sensible program together.
Heck, supersetting dips in with C&P and pullup ladders would be a fun workout, though I'd expect the presses to suffer. BUT you are willing to totally sacrifice the presses anyway, so who cares if progress is slow, right?
Hope you've got a lot of time on your hands and good recovery, but ROP, with pulls and dips would make a tank of an upper body.
Subbing dips in place of pullups sounds doable too. You won't loose much, all the pullup muscles will still be getting stimulated...
I like the functionality and badassery of dips, maybe you don't. You could always just do ROP by the book, and finish each session with a flexible rep/set chest workout. Whatever exercise/weight/variation in however many sets it takes to get 25 or 3o reps; right after the ladders.

Attila to answer your question, no I don't have a gym right now just a few kettlebell, I also only have three days a week to train right now.
And Jeffro I like dips as well but again I do not have the equipment.
Now it seems like the general consensus is that it would be too much volume but what if I did something like this:

Alternating-
A:
1.Squat 3x5 (pause squat because I don't have heavy enough weight for just regular squats)
2.Ladders-
Bench Press Press
Pull-up
3.Swings or snatch

B:
1.Squat 3x5 (pause squat because I don't have heavy enough weight for just regular squats)
2.Ladders-
Overhead Press
Pull-up
3.Swings or snatch

My main goal is always to be healthy and strong. But aestheticly yes that is the area I'd like to bring up.
I am on day 2 of the workout and I feel ok, obviously volume is at its lowest right know though and will go up as the weeks progress.

One suggestion I would give is run the PLP program by Chad Waterbury on non-S and S days..

But, if your priority is chest size, do S and S twice a week and PLP more frequently

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom