all posts post new thread

Kettlebell [RoP] What if you finish the 5x5 ladder and can't progress?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Congrats on the 32!
I think @Mark Limbaga `s advice is great. If you do not have a 28KB (which would be perfectly fitting between 24 and 32) you have to accumulate a lot of volume with the 24.
Use Mark's advice to really crunch the time it takes you. I think once you can do 5x1-2-3-4-5 with 24 in 45mins or so you really own it.
Yet another progression would be to aim for 10x2-3-5 in less than 60mins.

Also: make perfect tecnique a premium.
I ran RoP with 28 but my tecnique was sloppy.
I now do RoP again and am currently at 5x1-2-3 focusing on stellar form and it makes all the difference.

Also: make perfect tecnique a premium.
I ran RoP with 28 but my tecnique was sloppy.
I now do RoP again and am currently at 5x1-2-3 focusing on stellar form and it makes all the difference.

Yep working on the trigger and wedging may be good idea

Congrats on the 32!
I think @Mark Limbaga `s advice is great. If you do not have a 28KB (which would be perfectly fitting between 24 and 32) you have to accumulate a lot of volume with the 24.
Use Mark's advice to really crunch the time it takes you. I think once you can do 5x1-2-3-4-5 with 24 in 45mins or so you really own it.
Yet another progression would be to aim for 10x2-3-5 in less than 60mins.

Definitely crunch the time but not at the expense of quality reps..

A good thing I have is a healthy fear of injury, which makes me a stickler for form and safety. I am happy to have lifted the 32 strictly (and I confirmed it the next day), but I'm in no rush. One of the things I like the most about Pavel's philosophy is that his programs are very long-term oriented. Monotonous, maybe, but you can spend many months, if not years, to master them.

When (and it's a big when) I finish the RoP, I will try my hand either at the Sinister goal, or I will go for Return of the Kettlebell. Either way, I'm on this for the long run.

A good thing I have is a healthy fear of injury, which makes me a stickler for form and safety. I am happy to have lifted the 32 strictly (and I confirmed it the next day), but I'm in no rush. One of the things I like the most about Pavel's philosophy is that his programs are very long-term oriented. Monotonous, maybe, but you can spend many months, if not years, to master them.

When (and it's a big when) I finish the RoP, I will try my hand either at the Sinister goal, or I will go for Return of the Kettlebell. Either way, I'm on this for the long run.

That sounds good. And it is always better to aim for perfect tecnique rather than some sloppy, unsecure reps just for the sake of using a heavier bell.
I learned the hard way by dislocating a shoulder but it made me wiser.
Only go for a heavier weight if the fear of the boredom you would experience using your current weight is much higher than the respect for the heavier weight.

Just reading your stories. I hope that you are lifting the 32 with no problemo. If not, I know what my first tactic would be: to lift the next weight in the first rep of every ladder on the Easy Day, or at least some of them.
For ex: For example, in your case, if I do 4 or 5 ladder, first rep in every ladder in the Easy Day would be with the 32, then continue with current weight. If that is too much, at least the first rep in 2 ladders with the 32, then add a rep here and there, every other week. The body will adapt.

As a matter of fact, I am lifting now the 32 for 3 reps. It's damn slow, but now I can trust my technique. I stayed longer with the 24, trying to get used to the 32 in test days and variety days. And well, once I got to do my first perfect single, everything became a bit, just a bit, easier.

Certainly, there is a strong psychological component. 32 kgs is intimidating.

Thanks to everyone for your helpful answers!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom