all posts post new thread

Kettlebell [RoP] What if you finish the 5x5 ladder and can't progress?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Ramon Nogueras
You say you can push press the 32K, but are worried about the strict press. Have you tried the bottoms up presses? They really show where you are wobbly or 'leaking' tension, and they're fun and cool to look at, too. You could start with 16K and work up as you are able, on your variety days.
I also found loaded carries a great variety exercise for teaching 'zipping up'.
Good luck!

Re-run RoP with the 24, but for the first 1, 2 or 3 rungs of every ladder push press the 32.
Maybe even do a whole RoP cycle with push presses using the 32.
I'm 100% sure that if you can press the 24 for 5x(1,2,3,4,5) and push press the 32 for 5x(1,2,3,4,5), you'll be able to press the 32 for at least 4-5 reps.

Its already been suggested, but I have had great success with ladders of 2,3,5. another supplemental exercise is a waiter walk. loaded carries work wonders.

@Ramon Nogueras
You say you can push press the 32K, but are worried about the strict press. Have you tried the bottoms up presses? They really show where you are wobbly or 'leaking' tension, and they're fun and cool to look at, too. You could start with 16K and work up as you are able, on your variety days.
I also found loaded carries a great variety exercise for teaching 'zipping up'.
Good luck!
This month I'm trying one-legged presses with the 24. Actually, I tried them this morning, and I sucked :D

If buying a 28 kg is an option for you do that. If not, do you have access to a barbell?
One of the reasons I got into KBs is because I moved to an area of Barcelona where no good gyms are available. There are only a couple of ultra-expensive Holmes and Virgin clubs, and also a public health club which has no Olympic barbells, only crappy 12kgs barbells who were not enough for me. So no, at the moment I have no available gyms.

Re-run RoP with the 24, but for the first 1, 2 or 3 rungs of every ladder push press the 32.
Maybe even do a whole RoP cycle with push presses using the 32.
I'm 100% sure that if you can press the 24 for 5x(1,2,3,4,5) and push press the 32 for 5x(1,2,3,4,5), you'll be able to press the 32 for at least 4-5 reps.

This I definitely like. Many thanks!

add the density component on heavy day @Frank_IT did this for ROP
Care to elaborate? I don't really know what you mean by this.

If you dont want to buy intermediate weights, you could consider attaching 4 kg of barbell plates to your KB

I believe by density they mean lowering the rest time. so if you take 1 hour to do ROP try nocking it down to 45min over the course of a few weeks.

Dude, all this info is probably overwhelming. I would just go back through the RoP with the 24kg. Throw in the 32 on variety days. Really work on form and technique. Every rep just make it full tension and perfect form. Try to keep it as simple as possible.

@Marcus Aurelius

Your advice is certainly fitting , given your screen name. Observe---[lightly edited]

Hannibal Lecter:
First principles, Clarice. Read Marcus Aurelius. Of each particular thing ask: what is it in itself? What is its nature? What does he do, this man you seek?

Clarice Starling:
He [presses heavy weights].

Hannibal Lecter:
No! That is incidental. What is the first and principal thing he does, what need does he serve by [pressing heavy weights]?

Clarice Starling:
[Strength....]

In reference to the density factor, did you time your rest between rungs? Ladders?

For your second cycle of ROP, your goal should be to constantly shave off time from your previous workout before adding another rung..

For example

Stay at (1,2,3)x5 as long as your time keeps improving.. Once you can no longer shave time off, or are feeling burnt out, add the next rung (1,2,3,4) work up to (1,2,3,4)x5 then start working on improving time again

Well, mixed news, friends.

Today I slept less than 5 hours because my baby girl is a bit sick. Today it was my 5L5 heavy day, but the 32 kgs was sneering at me, mockingly, so I decided "screw this, today is test day".

And it went up! One strict C&P with the right arm. Unfortunately, I was unable to get it done with the left, barely clearing the top of my head. But well, this is progress.

Now I'm going to test snatches for 5' with 24 kgs. Let's see what happens.

Thanks to all for the ideas and support!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom