all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed rope jumping

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

elli

Level 10 Valued Member
Hi all :)
I have to pass a fitness test (for a trainer's licence) in 4 weeks, where I have to jump rope (100reps in 2minutes). I haven't done it for years and put me on a test yesterday. I needed 53sec for 100reps. I was satisfied:)
Now I think about jumping rope more regularly and to implement it into my weekly routine. Since I started training with weights (also for the licence) I try to figure out when...before/after/alprt from weight training. I do my kb practice twice a week (only the next 4 weeks, than back to 4x, but I also feel like needing a break).
Anyone else here who does rope jumping?

@elli: ropeskipping is great. rhythmic, self limiting, low budget, hr skyrocket...
I use it sometimes for quite some time. After a longer layoff it is imperative (at least to me, cause with over 90kg bw I am not a gazelle) to get the feet, ankles, tendons (Achilles) slowly getting used to the high impact forces this activity provides. I start then something like 30sec. on, 30 sec of for ten to twenty sets, maybe two/three times a week.

Last edited:
If you are new to it I would get Ross Enamait's Jump Rope DVD. It is awesome. He goes from ground zero and teaches the basics all the way through learning cross over and double/triple unders.

Great DVD and good price.

While I'm a fan of skipping, I've discovered like a lot of other folks that it's an activity we tend to get very efficient at through practice. If your primary goal is cardiovascular, the result would be the opposite of what you're after. For example, I started wearing a heart rate monitor for my 30 minute rope sessions, and noticed that after a few weeks, a pace that had me staying in the mid-80% range for the half hour was now only averaging 69% MHR for the entire duration--not bad, but it was clear that I was getting too good at it to hit those same numbers as before at that same brisk, continuous pace.

That said, I've found that skipping works best for these purposes when a trainee takes long breaks from the rope once they feel they're reaching this point, in order to let themselves get "out of rope shape" again before taking up the discipline once more.

If you were interested in my suggestion for equipment, the "Aero-Speed" variety by Buddy Lee has been my absolute favorite rope over the years (I dislike skipping with pretty much anything else): Buddy Lee Jump Ropes Aero Speed/www.buddyleejumpropes.com

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom