all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Rotating pullup bar $ challenge

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

North Coast Miller

Level 9 Valued Member
Had a chance to try this at the Rochester Lilac Festival, pay $10 and hang on a freely rotating pullup bar (greased flush-mount pillow block bearings) for 2 minutes, win $100. I made it a minute - this a fiendishly simple test. I hesitate to call it a scam as anyone can see it is not like hanging on a static bar. No staggered/alternating grip allowed, otherwise palms in or out.

The longest I saw anyone make it was 1:35.

The action of the bar ensures that with any fatigue, the bar unrolls in the grip and all the force is right at the thumb/finger overlap. Even concentrating on just keeping the hook grip locked down, that bar just slowly rotated out of my grip. In fact I never stopped swaying back and forth the entire minute even though I tried my best to hang dead motionless before the stool was yanked.

I used a neutral, shoulder width grip but a close grip might have worked better. Makes me want to build one. I salute anyone who can pull this off.

That sounds like a really fun challenge!

How did you use a neutral grip on a straight bar?

That sounds like a really fun challenge!

How did you use a neutral grip on a straight bar?

My bad, I meant it was neutral width. I went with palms forward.

The guy that made it to 1:35 actually did a behind the neck pullup and held it there, trying to wedge the bar with the back of his neck/traps - strong stuff!

I don't think there's any way to arch the lower body that will help mitigate that rotation. I'd never seen this before Saturday.

There was one at a street fair near us in the spring. My wife is egging me on to try it, figuring that I would have it aced...
I knew the deal with these things, and said no way!
(I'll use my ten bucks for a couple of IPA's instead...)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom