all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Routine Critique

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello everyone,
I am a school teacher who has gotten into training for the first time over the last year and a half. I have seen and read some of Pavel's work and I was looking for some feedback on the routine I wrote for myself based on what I have learned over the last year and a half. For background I am a man in his late 20's who is just looking to be healthy and set a good example for my students. I have no particular functional strength needs or any particular limiting injuries. I had been working in the school's gym with basic compound barbell movements until the pandemic began where I started with more bodyweight movements. After reading about ladder style training from Pavel and hearing his minimalist mindset for training I came up with the following routine. I would alternate between day 1 and day 2 training 4 days per week. I was hoping that I could get some feedback from people who are more advanced in training to see what is good or bad with this routine.

Day 1
Pistol squats ladder style
(1-3) for 2 sets

Diamond pushups ladder style done as a superset with the pistol squats
(1-5) for 3 sets

Hardstyle Plank
6x15 seconds or as long as possible

Crow yoga pose
3 sets of 30 second hold

Day 2
Back bridge ladder style
(1-4) for 3 sets

Push ups ladder style super set with bridges
(1-7) for 3 sets

Inverted row ladder style
(1-7) for 3 sets

Practice Hard Style Breathing
6 sets

Hey! welcome to the forum!
did you already start with the routine?
If you did and it feels good I'd say keep going for 6 to 8 weeks and see what happens, then you can start over and make some changes or jump to a different program.

Hello,

@scooter.321@hotmail.
Your plan is not bad att all !

I have a couple of questions:
- are you now able to do a pull up ?
- do you have a bell / barbell / relatively "thick" resistance band ?

If you are able to do a pull up, this may be good choice as a big "upper pull". However, progressively harder inverted row, as you plan, will help you to get them if you do not have them already.

For my second question, I ask because in the Naked Warrior, Pavel talks about something like: push ups (you have them in your plan), squat (you have them) and a hip / hinge (swings, deadlifts, snatches, etc...)

In all cases, like @Erik Hournou wisely said, you can give a try and see what happen. If it feels right, then keep it for a cycle, then increase the difficulty or switch to something else:

This one is great as well:

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@scooter.321@hotmail.

If you are able to do a pull up, this may be good choice as a big "upper pull". However, progressively harder inverted row, as you plan, will help you to get them if you do not have them already.

For my second question, I ask because in the Naked Warrior, Pavel talks about something like: push ups (you have them in your plan), squat (you have them) and a hip / hinge (swings, deadlifts, snatches, etc...)

In all cases, like @Erik Hournou wisely said, you can give a try and see what happen. If it feels right, then keep it for a cycle, then increase the difficulty or switch to something else:

Kind regards,

Pet'
Hey! welcome to the forum!
did you already start with the routine?
If you did and it feels good I'd say keep going for 6 to 8 weeks and see what happens, then you can start over and make some changes or jump to a different program.

Thanks for your reply. Yes I have been doing this workout for several weeks and I have slowly improved. For example I started with a ladder of 1-5 push-ups and now have done 1-7.

Hello,

@scooter.321@hotmail.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I am able to do pull-ups or chin-ups however because I am in an apartment I have no place to do them that wouldn't put my deposit at risk essentially.

I have been looking at kettlebells but I do not have one right now due to pandemic shortages. I also am unsure how heavy to start with a bell since I haven't used them. I have a relatively thin resistance band I use for some accessory movements like band face pulls.

Thank you very much for the articles. I have bookmarked them both.

Hello,

I am able to do pull-ups or chin-ups however because I am in an apartment I have no place to do them that wouldn't put my deposit at risk essentially.
I understand.

As an alternative for upper body pull, you can do inverted row, even if they are easier. You can make this move more challenging using one arm only while not being "twisted", or even OAOL inverted row.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom