all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Rowing Machine Training

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

johnmongelli

First Post
New to learning about anti glycolitic training. My question refers to how one would put this training methodology into use when training for a 40 minute maximal test on a rowing machine. Currently doing 5 days of steady state cardio a week. What would a hard workout look like on the rowing machine specifically to train for a long event like this? Would someting like 15 seconds on 45 off for 40-60 minutes straight work?

I believe you're in the wrong forum for this, but I'll answer anyway and Steve may move this thread.

Let's start by getting a clearer picture of your goal. 40 minute maximal test I am to assume means that you are going for maximum distance?

Please let me also add that I am not anywhere close to an expert in endurance events. I do know, however, that many of the top endurance athletes in general do 75-80% or more of their time in Zone 2/MAF 180-age type of effort level. The goal over the long term here is to slowly build this pace, while maintaining the same HR/effort level. Your steady state, LED or LSD sessions as these are known would qualify here.

The other amount of time endurance athletes do sessions such as be tempo, fartlek, intervals, etc. The point of any of these is to challenge yourself at a higher pace, allowing optimal recovery. I'm no expert at any of these as I don't work much with endurance athletes.

Anti-glycolytic means pushing the alactic system to the brink, but allowing sufficient recovery. "Repeats" are preferred to intervals; whereas intervals we expect a slow decline in output, repeats we want to match output each time. Of course, due to many reasons you can't sustain this forever, and you will lose output but at a much longer time frame compared to an interval workout.
You have listed a "hard" workout, yes. It is very likely glycolytic; that would be confirmed by doing it, but my guess is you would not sustain that for more than 15-20 minutes without pushing over the edge, making it not a good example of "repeat" efforts.

I'm going to leave specific suggestions for others with more experience and watch this thread for info!

Some years ago I trained for and completed marathon distance on Concept 2 and gained some experience in this - first disclaimer is I have no formal training in rowing and have never been on the water for real. All that I am about to say worked for me so I give the information gladly but with no guarantees.
Firstly you need to get in 2 or 3 steady state rows per week of about 60' - aim for 22 - 24 spm.

15 secs on 45 off (please read this as 15 sec hard row 45 secs light) do this for 20' and set the damper to high. This will give you some strength.
Aim for 3 of these session every two weeks.

Now this is the real builder - 2' hard and fast and 3' light for 40 - 50 mins. Damper setting 5-6. This will build on the strength and get you working for longer. Do one per week.

Nearer the time drop the strength row and do 2-3 of the 2/3' sessions per week plus the steady state.

Good luck - prepare to be hungry - all the time !

I like Bill Bowermans alternating hard/easy splits using these methods:
  1. 3x/wk low intensity steady state (LISS) for 60' (perhaps make it a fartlek by doing a short sprint every 5-10 minutes) @ damper 3-4
  2. 2x/wk A+A rowing, 5x pulls every 75" x20-40 repeats @ damper 8-10
  3. 1x/wk threshold rowing, 20' @ damper 5-7

Conventional wisdom among rowing enthusiasts is that longer distances are best trained by doing lots and lots of meters at low ratings of 20-24 spm and making long, strong strokes (think building up to 200 watts). Training in the UT1 area for 90% of the time. The more aerobic the event, the more aerobic the training. As you move down closer to 2K and less, you would incorporate more anaerobic/interval/HIIT training to generated the power needed for a strong start and strong sprint at the end.

Big bump, but I have a fair amount of relevant experience to this.

Anti-glycolytic work on the rower is going to be pretty easy to implement, 10 seconds really hard, and then 1:20 or so as light as possible. Rinse and repeat.

Most of your training should be very light aerobic work. Maffetone is a great system to use, otherwise 80% of max heart rate is another metric that works well. 40-60 minutes.

At least once a week do a hard workout at goal pace and stroke rate. Two good ones are 3x15' with 4' rest or 2x20' with 6' rest. Getting comfortable at the intensity you will be trying to maintain.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom