all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Rowing machines?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

steve-in-kville

Level 5 Valued Member
I'm trying to avoid exercise machines and keep it simple and use kettlebells, body weight exercises as well as rucking and running. Due to the snow that won't go away, I'm gonna dig out the snowshoes out this week!

Anyways, I was looking at rowing machines and am tempted, but its a pretty good lay-out of cash, plus the wife would fuss about where to go with it. Is something like this worth it? I'd rather keep things simple when it comes to training equipment.

I'm trying to avoid exercise machines and keep it simple and use kettlebells, body weight exercises as well as rucking and running. Due to the snow that won't go away, I'm gonna dig out the snowshoes out this week!

Anyways, I was looking at rowing machines and am tempted, but its a pretty good lay-out of cash, plus the wife would fuss about where to go with it. Is something like this worth it? I'd rather keep things simple when it comes to training equipment.
A C2 rower is a great investment mate. You will not regret it.

Cardio machines do not get the love and attention they deserve. Anything that allows you to develop various levels of conditioning without beating up the body is HUGE as far as I'm concerned.

Wattbikes are a personal favourite of mine.

Check the used prices on C2s in your area. They don't depreciate. At all. If you don't like it you'll be able to resell it for what you paid in ten years. Note that this is not the case for other brands.

I actually like air bikes better--arguably lower impact, easier to work around injuries, no technique bottleneck, and most of them are slightly cheaper than C2 ergs--but quality ones have only really been a thing for the last couple of years, so too soon to tell how they'll depreciate. Little plastic fans are bad. Old ones with big metal fans are ok--the monitors don't mean anything if they work at all and they'll often have some heavily worn bearings or bushings, but you can get some use out of them. New ones with big metal fans are the best.

I 100% agree with @coachnathanwhite here. Some form of Air Bike/Assault Bike or Rower are full body cardio. I say this a ton here, but the Air Bike wins because you can do unilateral, or UB or LB easier than you can do on a rower. Either or are going to be a good investment to your health

@steve-in-kville my gym has 4 C2's and they take a beating and keep going. As far as I know, minimal issues compared to our TM, ellipticals, etc. I know we have resold for fairly good value as well.

I have a C2 for some years now and used it a lot for general endurance training for my usual 10 k's. As mentioned above it is very durable. Only problem I have with it is numbness in my butt and even down into my feet. Lately I am really happy that I found an interesting device: Box Step ups. Low tech, high concept as it can get. Nothing gets numb, even my brain: it's funny.

Just have to sneak it past the wife..

it very easily breaks in 2-pieces that both will stand next to each other in a pretty small (like 1 square meter) space when you're not using it. I put it in the car and and take it on family vacations (provided we're only driving)!

And, worst case, just sell it if she's REALLY #$%@ed. They do not depreciate (even after pandemics).

Your biggest challenge may be getting your hands on one. C2 had a fairly long wait list last I checked (though that's been several months).

While you are deliberating and searching have you considered adding 10 - 20 minutes of boxer style jump rope? Lots of good how to's on YT and it's the type of skill that pays dividends in every day life as your footwork and coordination improve. I worked up to ten nonstop one minute sets of one hundred. Sometimes I push it up to twenty minutes but normal is ten. Just an extra little kick after S & S every day. One thousand rope jumps is about like a one mile run. It's a time efficient cardio burn with equipment that fits in a pocket. A cheap, easy, and rewarding way to add a kick to any workout. When the weather is nice I move my workouts outdoors. Takes one trip with a kb, yoga mat, jump rope, water bottle, and timer. The thick plastic ~$10 ropes are all you need. And you can always make it heavy rope training by cutting down an old extension cord. : )

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom