all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Rowing

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
A question for those of you who row, either on the water or using a machine:

I have never been a fan of rowing because it tends to move my back in ways my back doesn't like. I'd like to hear about how you find the combination of movements that are popular here at StrongFirst like deadlifts and swings with your rowing. Do you find these things co-exist well? Do you find deadlifts and swings (and whatever else) help "bullet-proof" your back? Do you only lift in your off-season? Anything else relevant, I'm interested - I'm asking to pick your brains because a neighbor has asked me these questions as regards his child who is a rower and I frankly don't have answers.

For my purposes here, unless you feel doing what we call a "row" with weights is helpful to actual rowing, rowing with weights isn't relevant to the discussion.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

-S-

Former college rower here,

We did deadlifts often in the off season. Usually twice a week with two different variations in the 5-8 rep range. In season we would do them about once a week until we got close to the big races.

If I were to go back and do it again I would do more deadlifts during the summer season and first half of the winter season but I'd avoid heavy sets when I ramped up intensity on the erg.

A question for those of you who row, either on the water or using a machine:

I have never been a fan of rowing because it tends to move my back in ways my back doesn't like. I'd like to hear about how you find the combination of movements that are popular here at StrongFirst like deadlifts and swings with your rowing. Do you find these things co-exist well? Do you find deadlifts and swings (and whatever else) help "bullet-proof" your back? Do you only lift in your off-season? Anything else relevant, I'm interested - I'm asking to pick your brains because a neighbor has asked me these questions as regards his child who is a rower and I frankly don't have answers.

For my purposes here, unless you feel doing what we call a "row" with weights is helpful to actual rowing, rowing with weights isn't relevant to the discussion.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

-S-
I phase in rowing as part of my conditioning, much like I do deadlift variations for strength work and I used to do a lot of heavy swings with a loadable KB now I do A+A snatches 4 times a week.

I find this combinations in conjuction with traction based work post deadlifts help MASSIVELY with "bullet proofing" the back. Add in some twisting core work and you are golden.

My season would be a deployment. Which as it stands we're only getting on once every 2-3 years right now. So it reallt depends what I have access to on a deployment, however I generally expect to lose size and strength on tour. If I have access to weights then I'll do the best I can, with what I have and depending on our time table too. In an ideal scinario I would maintain a similar routine but at lower intensities to remain "fresher" for when we go over the wire.

You beat yourself up so you are ready for the season. When your season comes you try to stay as fresh as possible.

Strength training three days per week, rowing (C2) in between. I have not noticed any problems to date, personally, I think all of the swinging and deadlifting better prepared my back (and the rest of it) for rowing. It seems to be a combination that is working for me and I am enjoying it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom