all posts post new thread

Barbell RPT VS PTTP

• Thread starter Deleted member 316
  • Start date
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 316

PTTP is 5 reps at 100% and 5 reps at a back off set at 90%. Done four plus days a week.
RPT is usually 5 reps at 100%, 7ish reps for 90%, and 9ish for 80. Usually a bench (chest) day, a squat day and a deadlift day.
Just curious as why pttp which is quite similar cand be done more frequently than rpt?

Recovery is the number no 1 issue for any program stipulating daily or near daily training. Before you even touch the bar, you're asking "can I do this again tomorrow?" That means your 100% will be different for a five day program, than for a three day program.

Got ya. I guess with pttp even though it's a 100%, it's still only supposed to be around your 80% effort

PTTP is 5 reps at 100% and 5 reps at a back off set at 90%. Done four plus days a week.
RPT is usually 5 reps at 100%, 7ish reps for 90%, and 9ish for 80. Usually a bench (chest) day, a squat day and a deadlift day.
Just curious as why pttp which is quite similar cand be done more frequently than rpt?

PTTP is for lifters with less training history than those that might do RPT. The 100% effort at 5 is going to be a lot harder on the body for a lifter who can do it with 400 lbs than for the lifter who can do it with only 200.

Reverse pyramid training. Regular pyramid the weight goes up and the reps decrease. Reverse pyramid the weight decreases and you do a few extra reps

Reverse pyramid training. Regular pyramid the weight goes up and the reps decrease. Reverse pyramid the weight decreases and you do a few extra reps

You've got regular pyramid training where the weight goes up as in 5/3/1, classic sets across (ie same weight each set) as in Stronglifts 5x5, and then reverse pyramid training (RPT) where the weight goes down and that I guess PTTP does fit in if you wanted to categorise it in that way. The fundamental principle of RPT is simply lift your heaviest weight first, when you are freshest. Apart from that I've not heard RPT used to define a particular set/rep scheme or frequency. There is no reason why you couldn't design an RPT program anywhere from daily to once weekly (or less) training. Martin Berkhan (of Leangains fame) is a big fan of RPT.

So RPT is kind of like doing back off sets , with more volume, after heavier top sets? If this is true then I sort of do that. I just didnt know it had a name.

RPT is quite different from PttP.

The 100% in RPT is truly close to a maximum effort attempt, followed by a bunch of back-off sets, lowering the load as you increase the reps.

The 100% in PttP simply refers to the projected maximum load for that precise day. Which should generally be a rather easy effort until you get to the end of the cycle.

RPT is a high intensity, low frequency program. PttP is just the opposite: a low intensity, high frequency program.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom