all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Rucking and Cycling Places During Short Winter Days

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

D-Rock

Level 5 Valued Member
Hey All,

Recently I've been getting more into LSD/endurance and getting back into some outdoor pursuits while still maintaining some strength work. Now that my aerobic base is coming along, I'm wanting to be out longer and longer...which puts me at odds with the shortening days. The usual tactic of waking up earlier to fit it in isn't meshing with most trails/paths/parks closed sunset-sunrise.

Just wondering if any of you have come across solutions/types of places for maintaining LSD work when it gets light later and dark earlier. Interests right now are cycling, walking, hiking, running, and learning about rucking.

I run up and down the street where I live. Not really exciting or interesting, but my neighbors know to look out for me (not always a given whereever you might like to go in Houston).

Darkness should not dissuade you from running, rucking, or cycling.

I routinely do these activities in the dark. Summer or Winter. Both on trails and roads.
Get reflective clothing if you are going to be on busy roads.

Get decent lights.
I wear a climbing headlamp for running and rucking.
I also have a high tech headlamp for my bike. This could set you back $200.00 to $500.00 or more but it's worth it.

I would never advise anyone to break any laws.... but...

I'll ride in low light, but not in the dark. Motorists have difficulty seeing brightly colored cyclists in broad daylight, so unless I'm lit up like the Vegas strip, I pass. Running in the dark is kinda fun, kinda spooky. With less visual info, there is an illusion that you're going faster. With less visual info, your imagination fills in. More critters out as well. Something the ultra runners do is multiple lights, a headlamp on their head and another one around their waist. Maybe a small hand held as well.

Hey All,

Recently I've been getting more into LSD/endurance and getting back into some outdoor pursuits while still maintaining some strength work. Now that my aerobic base is coming along, I'm wanting to be out longer and longer...which puts me at odds with the shortening days. The usual tactic of waking up earlier to fit it in isn't meshing with most trails/paths/parks closed sunset-sunrise.

Just wondering if any of you have come across solutions/types of places for maintaining LSD work when it gets light later and dark earlier. Interests right now are cycling, walking, hiking, running, and learning about rucking.

I know this sounds a little boring but when I have time/ transport/ road safety concerns... I use my block which is an ~ 800m lap and away from main road traffic.

I get my laps in, yes it can be not as pleasant as a run/ walk/ mountain bike through the forest BUT it does provide a wonderful time to focus on cadence, posture, breathing rhythm and staying present.

The added benefit aside from mental training with laps is that I can cut session short or make them longer and grab what I need from the house easily.

I know this sounds a little boring but when I have time/ transport/ road safety concerns... I use my block which is an ~ 800m lap and away from main road traffic.

I get my laps in, yes it can be not as pleasant as a run/ walk/ mountain bike through the forest BUT it does provide a wonderful time to focus on cadence, posture, breathing rhythm and staying present.

The added benefit aside from mental training with laps is that I can cut session short or make them longer and grab what I need from the house easily.
You are absolutely right... 'any port in a storm'
I've done stuff like that also

most trails/paths/parks closed sunset-sunrise.
This just seems un-American.

I would never advise anyone to break any laws.... but...
Indeed... but...

In all seriousness, there will likely be somewhere you can go that's satisfactory. Some reflective clothing, a headlamp, and a little adjustment in your expectations. I might be less fun, but it will still be something.

parks closing at dark is just to prevent the rough sleepers from living there..without 'profiling'. If you look like you're working out and tell them you're on your way out, you should have no problems. Since you can do all these activities absolutely anywhere, there is always a place! Make these activities part of what you do wherever you are, not some exotic gotta have a place things...like kids just playing as opposed to a "playdate" scheduled a week ahead. haha

Regarding light, from long time runner, cyclist- the absolute worst light is what's called "gray light"- which is when it's still light out, but the sun's set far enough that people lose proper color perception and almost all cues for depth perception, but it's still light enough that headlights, etc don't show clearly. If you're out during these times morning or night, be aware that cars can't perceive you or judge your location very well. Really dark with modern lights = you're highly visible. Running or on a bike, you should always be totally embarrassed by your outfit. If your family doesn't laugh at you, you don't have enough wild bright colors on!

get away from your computer and move!!!!! Now!!!!! Quit thinking...do it!

parks closing at dark is just to prevent the rough sleepers from living there..without 'profiling'. If you look like you're working out and tell them you're on your way out, you should have no problems. Since you can do all these activities absolutely anywhere, there is always a place! Make these activities part of what you do wherever you are, not some exotic gotta have a place things...like kids just playing as opposed to a "playdate" scheduled a week ahead. haha

Regarding light, from long time runner, cyclist- the absolute worst light is what's called "gray light"- which is when it's still light out, but the sun's set far enough that people lose proper color perception and almost all cues for depth perception, but it's still light enough that headlights, etc don't show clearly. If you're out during these times morning or night, be aware that cars can't perceive you or judge your location very well. Really dark with modern lights = you're highly visible. Running or on a bike, you should always be totally embarrassed by your outfit. If your family doesn't laugh at you, you don't have enough wild bright colors on!

get away from your computer and move!!!!! Now!!!!! Quit thinking...do it!
All good points...

Un-American? Absolutely not. Here in Litigation Land, that is the norm. But if you get far away from population centers to true public lands, like NF or BLM, you’ll have better luck.

The lap idea is good. You can start or finish a workout indoors, stop and grab a bottle, adjust layers etc.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom