all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Rucking Packs, Part Deux: Very Heavy

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
Some of you know that I have competed in the Inman Mile, and event where the goal is a 1 mile walk with 150% bodyweight on a squat bar on your back. Since no one has ever completed it, records are kept with that weight, by the distance covered. I own the record, such as it is, for my old, skinny guy weight class. I'd have to look it up but I think it was 113 meters.

I'm considering doing part of my training for a future Inman attempt with a weighted backpack rather than a weighted bar - anyone aware of packs that can hold over 200 lbs.? I figure it would help with leg strength/endurance without quite so much wear on my spine.

Thanks in advance.

-S-

Steve,
That's an interesting question. Most backpacks for climbers and backpackers cater to people that are trying to lighten their loads not increase them, and the trend in those packs is to go lighter in construction. I have an old Lowe Alpine pack that must weigh close to 7 or 8 lbs just by itself. This pack is built like the proverbial brick outhouse. I have loaded this with 100lbs before with no issues. Going to 200? Not sure.
I'll poke around a bit and see if I can find anything...

I think the problem in most packs is going to be in the stitching. A handy person with a long arm sewing machine might be able to reinforce the seams.
This might be an interesting DIY project...

IMG_0603.JPG

Steve this is a what is called a Haul Bag. It is used for hauling gear on big wall climbs. I should have thought of it sooner. You could easily load 200lbs. The haul straps would take the load, I'm don't know if the pack straps would, but they might. A quick call or e-mail to Black Diamond would sort that out however.
This model is the Zion. 145l capacity.
Retails for about $250.00

haul bag would be great, that's the first thing I thought of- also, many of the military systems can be loaded very heavy- some of the older packboards they used in the M-1 days could easily hold a few bags of sand or cement. I have an old Gregory Snow Creek that might have done it, about the same weight as offwidth's Lowe, but it's so old now I wouldn't trust the stitching anymore. I used to load that with 70-80lbs and it was nothing for it.

I had an old Gregory as well that might have done the trick when new. Marmots chewed through the shoulder straps in the Wind Rivers. I had to repair with surgical sutures and dental floss...

Maybe something like this:
Bull Pac | Bullpacs

or this:
Rail Hauler 2.0 - Kryptek Highlander

The second one specifically says it can handle 200lbs, although the first one looks even more sturdy.

They are basically pack frames that you can strap stuff to, including any sort of duffle bag that might fit.

Google "elk hunting pack frame" and there are quite a few others. Cabela's carries a number of different ones. No personal experience with any of them.

I just saw an ALICE frame at a military surplus for 10 dollars. I dont know if it can take that much weight, but for that money you could give it a try.

Then there is this:

upload_2018-4-21_23-22-39.png

Its called Sorinex Load Trainer. I think Rogue has a similar alternative. That Sorinex is designed to mount on an ALICE frame. Its a bit pricey for this purpose IMO. Maybe you can try to tie the weights to the frame, after all the plates would just sit flat over the frame.

That guy is carrying 135 lbs. How about that + a weighted vest? That way you can buy two useful items, instead of a extremely reinforced backpack you will only use a few times.

Last edited:
A pack frame for hunting like the Alaskan Outfitter from Cabela’s would work well.

Funny but we don't have Cabela's around here. I'm driving to Chicago in a few weeks - I'll find one. They seem to start in Western PA and NY State or so.

-S-

I think the best solution would be something along the lines of @Oscar suggested; there's a few different versions of backpack weight plate rigs.

The cheapest version would probably be a military surplus C-bag (one of those big green duffel bags). Two hundred pounds might be a stretch, but those things can carry a lot. Maybe get one of them first, throw three or four bags of landscaping sand into it, and use it to test your training method for a week or two before you spend $100-200 on a real pack or a plate pack. It wouldn't be particularly comfortable due to the lack of a frame, but you wouldn't have to spend more than $40, and you could turn it into a strongman sandbag when you're done with it ;)

A google on Military Surplus C-bag brings up quite a few inexpensive things - sounds good.

Do you know if any have a hip belt? I won't use one for all of my training, but training for the Inman, like training for anything else, means addressing things in different ways so that not every training session feels like a competition. My plan is to do some bar work, some backpack w/ no hip belt, and some backpack w/ hip belt because, hey, if I can't walk a mile with the weight in a hip-belted backpack, there's no way I'm doing to be able to do it with a bar on my back.

Or maybe, for $30, that's my pack w/o a hip belt and we just leave it at that.

-S-

BTW, online it says 1 liter of sand weighs 1.53 kg. An 86.5 liter duffle means 132 kg of sand - that's more than enough for my purposes. I need about 100 or 105 kg.

-S-

View attachment 5460

Steve this is a what is called a Haul Bag. It is used for hauling gear on big wall climbs. I should have thought of it sooner. You could easily load 200lbs. The haul straps would take the load, I'm don't know if the pack straps would, but they might. A quick call or e-mail to Black Diamond would sort that out however.
This model is the Zion. 145l capacity.
Retails for about $250.00
That looks good. Mil surplus C-bags look to be $25, might try that first.

-S-

The C-Bag does not have a hip belt. Well, none of mine from the 80's had one. A quick search returned the same ones I was issued, with no hip belt. Unless you are skinny enough to tie the ends of the straps around your waist...

upload_2018-4-25_15-2-21.jpeg

A google on Military Surplus C-bag brings up quite a few inexpensive things - sounds good.

Do you know if any have a hip belt? I won't use one for all of my training, but training for the Inman, like training for anything else, means addressing things in different ways so that not every training session feels like a competition. My plan is to do some bar work, some backpack w/ no hip belt, and some backpack w/ hip belt because, hey, if I can't walk a mile with the weight in a hip-belted backpack, there's no way I'm doing to be able to do it with a bar on my back.

Or maybe, for $30, that's my pack w/o a hip belt and we just leave it at that.

-S-

I didn't have a pack with a hip strap til my mid-3os. Training effect is much better without one! If you train without one, then makes backpacking with one's a breeze. Hip belts are much more efficient. Tip for extra weight-- use water for some of it, if you get too far and need to lighten load, just drink some and pour the rest out.

I didn't have a pack with a hip strap til my mid-3os. Training effect is much better without one! If you train without one, then makes backpacking with one's a breeze. Hip belts are much more efficient. Tip for extra weight-- use water for some of it, if you get too far and need to lighten load, just drink some and pour the rest out.
That is a solid strategy for ruck training on big hills. Go up with however many liters of water you can manage. Drink your fill at the top and dump the rest for the downhill. Your knees will thank you...

Hunting packs are probably the direction to look in. Like the above poster mentioned, backpackers are always trying to pack lighter, hunters want maximum meat weight capacity.

I have a Kelty Cache Hauler that was more affordable, but probably less comfortable than something from Seek Outside, Exo Mountain Gear , or Stone Glacier.

Some companies do sell a frame only with meat shelf that would be perfect for simply loading up and training with if you don't plan on actually camping with it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom