all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Rucking packs

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I started with a random old backpack that I was hoping would fall apart so I could buy a fancy rucksack. And it never did, held up fine with 30lbs of sandbags. IMO, no harm in starting with something like this to see if you like it.

Last edited:
@Steve W., I think I was worried that 20-30 lbs. without a hip strap would bother my back and shoulders - it doesn't.

-S-

@Steve W., I think I was worried that 20-30 lbs. without a hip strap would bother my back and shoulders - it doesn't.

-S-
Well, my point was that if the hip strap isn't properly designed for load-bearing (and if it can be accurately described as a "strap," i.e. a piece of webbing, then it probably isn't), it won't have any effect on your back and shoulders--which seem consistent with your experience.

Yes. A properly designed hip belt system is usually padded, form fitting, and integral to the overall suspension of the pack. It's purpose is to transfer some of the load to the hip structure and away from the shoulders.
A simple webbing waist strap as found on many inexpensive packs serves practically no purpose other than to keep the pack in place somewhat.

I´ve had a similar experience as @Steve W. and @offwidth describe. The first time I went to the mountains I was carrying about 50 lbs, and by the 2nd hour my shoulders were killing me. My cousin that was more experienced took a look at the backpack, adjusted the hip strap, loosened the shoulder straps and voila! most the weight was on the hips and I managed to continue without issues.

Would an added hip belt be of much use (assuming it was well padded)? I have a 5.11 tactical 48 rush backpack which goes everywhere with me, including up and down mountains, but can be a bit of a pain when camping due to the added weight of a tent strapped onto it.

If adding a hip belt would help, does anyone have stand-alone hip belt recommendations?

Would an added hip belt be of much use (assuming it was well padded)? I have a 5.11 tactical 48 rush backpack which goes everywhere with me, including up and down mountains, but can be a bit of a pain when camping due to the added weight of a tent strapped onto it.

If adding a hip belt would help, does anyone have stand-alone hip belt recommendations?
None that I am aware of. To be effective they really need to be an integral part of the pack

Except for offwidth, y'all are mixing up a kidney pad with a hip belt. Not all packs have KPs. Most packs with KPs have belts; in fact, most packs have belts, period.

You don't need the belt fastened unless you often run, climb, or otherwise navigate sharp elevations in terrain. However, the KP will shift some of the load to your trunk which will make heavier loads easier to carry even if you're just mall walking. External frames perform this function best.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom