all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Rucking, stiffness and immobility

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

GreyFox

Level 1 Valued Member
I've done a pretty fair amount of rucking over the last few years. Loads between 20 and 45 lbs at a bodyweight between 170-185, typically for shorter distances (Less than 4 miles) but often daily. Occasionally, I cut back to a few times a week.

I've noticed I accumulate a LOT of tension in my hips and legs, becoming comparatively stiff and immobile. Occasionally, I'm visited by pain along the outside of my thigh, knee and calf when not rucking.

There is also some discomfort in the lower back when not rucking, but perhaps that is to be expected when one carries weight on one's back much of the time.

I've tired trigger point self release, foam rolling and the like with limited success.

Any tips on managing and perhaps resolving these issues?

Reactions: Rif
Hello,

@GreyFox
Did you try cold water bath / shower ?

I do not use foam rolling. I prefer a tennis ball or even a golf ball. Both are harder but more precise.

Kind regards,

Pet'

tension in my hips and legs, becoming comparatively stiff and immobile

What happens if you try to stretch, like 90/90 stretch or QL straddle? Do you regain any mobility, and does it make things feel any better?

@GreyFox
That's a lot of rucking.
What are your training goals?
Other training?
Have you consulted a medical professional about your situation?
What type of pack?
Footwear?
Age?

Good advice given from Anna, Nathan, and Pet so far

Hello,

some discomfort in the lower back when not rucking, but perhaps that is to be expected when one carries weight on one's back much of the time.
How do you wear your pack ?
Do you use stick to walk ? (I do not because I find some discomfort in shoulders).

As @offwidth said about footwear, where do you walk (grass, sand...) ?

Dependgin on your work, are you well sitted ?

Once again, as @offwidth said
Have you consulted a medical professional about your situation?
If this pain is permanent or occurres each time you ruck, maybe a PT could help you.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I know nothing about rucking, but I do walk regularly and do carry the sort of load our OP describes from time to time. I find the right footwear is an important place to start. I wear Feivue minimalist shoes - $20 a pair, a martial arts shoe. So far, they've confounded every attempt I've made to mess up my gait. :)

-S-

I know nothing about rucking, but I do walk regularly and do carry the sort of load our OP describes from time to time. I find the right footwear is an important place to start. I wear Feivue minimalist shoes - $20 a pair, a martial arts shoe. So far, they've confounded every attempt I've made to mess up my gait. :)

-S-
Not wanting to hijack the OP's thread but @Steve Freides do you carry those loads while wearing the minimalist shoes?

Not wanting to hijack the OP's thread but @Steve Freides do you carry those loads while wearing the minimalist shoes?
Yes. I walk to the grocery store, a mile or so each way, two if I go the long way, and when I'm carrying a lot of groceries home, it's a loaded backpack and a bag in each hand. I've weighed myself when I got home, just for fun, and being 30+ lbs heavier isn't unusual.

-S-

Hello,

What you are doing is at the same one of the best conditioning exercise ever. Most of the time, what matters is the ability to lift (and then walk) with a load whose weight varies from light to medium. E.g : bricklayer, farmer...

Kind regards,

Pet'

Have you had someone look at your gait? I am someone who quickly accumulates a lot of tension in my hips (particularly in the hip flexors at the front) if I ruck without mindful technique. If you have read @aciampa's article on rucking have another look through the gait section.

It with discomfort in your lower back and tight hips I can imagine your hip flexors are an issue. I have needed to be really agressive with the care I give my hips to get them back to a comfortable level, including some fairly brutal and unpleasant stretches which really helped things.

Wow! What wonderful support - and so quickly, too!

In no particular order:

I have not tried hot/cold baths with any regularity. Perhaps a regular practice would help.

I use both a ball and a foam roller for trigger point self-release. I just forgot to mention the ball. Both provide very temporary relief.

These days, my other strength training primarily consists of single KB clean & presses, pull-ups and some pistols. In the past, I have worked on S&S and the ROP, but in both cases the volume of hinging aggravated a QL injury from early 2014 and which has resulted in now two bouts of physical therapy. Interestingly, the physical therapist discharged me during my last about when he discovered I could do more, cleaner pistols than he could, saying he didn't think there was much more you could do for me. A couple time a year, I train barbell lifts with a friend as a form of hanging out. Last time I went to the gym with him a few months back, he was working on heavy singles as PL meet prep, and I worked up to 320x1 in the DL at a BW of 175. But that was a haphazard "test", not training.

Regarding the aforementioned QL injury, I should note that the diagnosis was a severe strain of the muscle, if I recall correctly. I had practiced with kettlebells for about eight years up until the injury, and that injury effectively halted my practice, leading to some fairly bizarre movement adaptations. I have had a FMS screening, and although I do not remember all of the measurements, I was cleared for training and took several sessions with a local SFG. He approved my technique but the discomfort became too great and I had to cease training for a time. When I resumed, I found that volume hinges aggravate the injury, settling on frequent rucking and KB grinds to maintain strength, as already mentioned.

I do, however, have chronically tight hip flexors – especially the psoas. These come mostly from jockeying a desk and I probably don't do enough to fix them.

The 90/90 stretch helps my hips somewhat, although they do occasionally lock uncomfortably during that stretch. I have learned to take it easy. I have not noticed the stretch helping with tension and stiffness in my legs.

The QL stretch is.... not my favorite. I also have to take this one very gently or it will aggravate the old injury. I haven't ever noticed it helping my hips much, but it does stretch out the sides of my legs a bit. Perhaps it helps with that during my daily life and I just haven't noticed. I confess that I have been irregular with the stretches since not ceasing my last round of S&S. These might be a good place to start.

When I ruck, I wear Adidas Sambas, a fairly minimalist soccer shoe. Perhaps they are not appropriate footwear?

Steve, which type of shoe by that manufacturer do you use? I see they have a number of them....

As for my gait, I have never had it checked out by anyone. I don't actually even know who I would go to to do so. I am mindful of how I walk, trying to stay within Al's guidelines, but perhaps I am not doing so very well? Or perhaps my idea of what my gait should be like isn't correct?

I do not use any kind of walking stick. I ruck mostly on asphalt roads. I basically wear a loaded pack while walking my dogs. My pack is a GR1 from GoRuck and I use the GoRuck plates, worn in the pocket of the pack closest to my back. I wear the pack itself somewhat high and tight, so it doesn't interfere with torso rotation, and the pack has no chest strap.

For what it's worth, I love rucking these short distances with this frequency. It is an efficient use of my time, dramatically improved my heart rate (I worked down to a resting HR of 56 from the upper 60s with nothing but this approach to rucking), goes a long way toward keeping me lean and is, quite frankly, the best sleeping pill I've ever known.

Thank you all for the feedback!

@GreyFox I would echo getting your gait looked at (particularly your loaded gait) carrying load in in the pack will accentuate any imbalances. Secondly If you have any Military/ExMillitary, friends/colleagues to look at your loading in your bag. Key notes if you do not, pack the back so that there is limited movement possible in the bag of your load, generally speaking you want to keep the load as low and close to the back in the bag as possible. If the bag has a hip belt us it (though not if this constricts across the stomach).
Try to focus not bending forwards to counter the weight, as this is a common compensation to extra load particularly if the load is higher on the back. If you bend then you will do the whole distance in hip flexion, this can compound your desk jockying... I would ensure that you mobilise fully before doing your Ruck and then a stretching sequence after which puts your system into hip flexion.

Sequences which i found most beneficial when I was Tabbing (UK term for Rucking) 10 miles 3 times per week in boots with 35kg. With pack single leg high kneeling each leg hold for 45sec/side, take of Pack, Cobra pose with look over shoulder to opposite heel 5 time each side, move up to upward dog for 45 sec. Lying quad stretch ground leg at 90 degrees held inplace by lower hand, keep knee down then move to the Bretzel. then some deep lunge stretches.

If it hurts worse when you go down stairs, it sounds like an IT band syndrome. I had ITB once and the only way to fix it was pigeon stretches and complete rest for a couple weeks. I did not have to change footwear, gait, etc. - just rest.

Hello,

As someone who hikes, sometimes with heavy loads (for a hiker) and rucks to maintain, I would go for hiking shoes. Frankly, all other hikers I know use "big shoes" (hiking like) and no one among them have issue. Good shoes will oblige you to stay straight.

When you walk with a load, the heel touches first, toe touches last.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom