all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Rucking

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ChiBill

Level 6 Valued Member
A few months back I started rucking twice a week around 4 miles each session. I'm really liking it and upping the weight gradually.

I was reading an article and there was a line saying "The maximum load that you can allow your body to carry is 35 pounds (15.8kg) and not any more than that, lest you should break down your body." Is this accepted as accurate? Seems strange to have a blanket weight limit for everyone with no regard to how much the individual weighs. I can see a limit of some percentage of bodyweight where there could be greater risks of injury but 35# for anyone 140lb man up through say a 300lb guy doesn't seem to make sense to me.

At what point should one not increase the weight? I'm doing this for aerobic/health benefits and would obviously like to avoid risking any injuries.

Thanks

A few months back I started rucking twice a week around 4 miles each session. I'm really liking it and upping the weight gradually.

I was reading an article and there was a line saying "The maximum load that you can allow your body to carry is 35 pounds (15.8kg) and not any more than that, lest you should break down your body." Is this accepted as accurate? Seems strange to have a blanket weight limit for everyone with no regard to how much the individual weighs. I can see a limit of some percentage of bodyweight where there could be greater risks of injury but 35# for anyone 140lb man up through say a 300lb guy doesn't seem to make sense to me.

At what point should one not increase the weight? I'm doing this for aerobic/health benefits and would obviously like to avoid risking any injuries.

Thanks
That statement isn't even close to being accurate.

I've been schlepping loads way heavier than 35 lbs for many decades, with zero negative effects.

And there are a lot of other variables to consider in rucking besides the weight.

I think it depends on your goals and what you hope to get out of it. If you plan on entering the military or you do back-country hunting where you would routinely carry a ton of weight I do understand going higher in weight. Your body type and weight has a lot to say with the loads as well.

If your after aerobic benefits slowly increase the weight until you feel you are actually losing performance value. Carrying a load is great, not just for the cardio benefits but it also makes you work while less than comfortable. That doesn't do much for cardio but it is great for mental toughness.

Thus far, I've kept my load very light. I just use the weight as a way to keep my HR higher at a lower pace. If I get big spikes over MAF, I've got to choose a slower pace, flatter route or less weight

The maximum load that you can allow your body to carry is 35 pounds (15.8kg) and not any more than that, lest you should break down your body.
Seems strange to have a blanket weight limit for everyone with no regard to how much the individual weighs.
You are correct, and that statement is nonsense. Preventing injury is a matter of allowing your body to adapt. As long as you don't push too hard too fast, you can eventually carry a lot of weight with no problems.
If you push the weight up too fast, you just end up being slow. I imagine it's probably safer to walk faster, with a lighter load. I've noticed that, when it comes to targeting a certain heart rate, pace seems to work better than weight.
Also, after a certain weight you will have to start wearing a hip belt. For me, anything over about 30% BW starts to really pull on my shoulders pretty quickly. Over time, it stretches the nerves in the brachial plexus and can cause some nerve damage (rucksack palsy). Not a huge deal if it's nipped in the bud, but if left unchecked it can cause issues. So, sure, after a certain weight you want a hip belt. Still, saying that we shouldn't carry over 35 lbs seems a little...uninformed.

You are correct, and that statement is nonsense. Preventing injury is a matter of allowing your body to adapt. As long as you don't push too hard too fast, you can eventually carry a lot of weight with no problems.
If you push the weight up too fast, you just end up being slow. I imagine it's probably safer to walk faster, with a lighter load. I've noticed that, when it comes to targeting a certain heart rate, pace seems to work better than weight.
Also, after a certain weight you will have to start wearing a hip belt. For me, anything over about 30% BW starts to really pull on my shoulders pretty quickly. Over time, it stretches the nerves in the brachial plexus and can cause some nerve damage (rucksack palsy). Not a huge deal if it's nipped in the bud, but if left unchecked it can cause issues. So, sure, after a certain weight you want a hip belt. Still, saying that we shouldn't carry over 35 lbs seems a little...uninformed.
My weighted vest could probably sit more comfortably on my shoulders, usually this is the limiting factor in going up in weight.

lest you should break down your body
Sounds like an old book, and not very accurate..

I would ignore a limit that low while not getting stupid on the other end by carrying loads which are too heavy in the long term, a load of around 40% BW would seem to be a healthy work weight target for me (should I ever get there..)

@ChiBill, you have received some good advice. I will add a couple points regarding my experience with rucking.

First off, 30% is an unbelievably weak estimate. Born I believe, from research based off of weak bodied first world data points, most likely Americans in this case. Lack of mental toughness, sound strength training and too many fad diets/workouts has created an epidemic of biomechanical issues, which give birth to "recommendations" such as these in an attempt to solve them. Just as a side note, I am a former Infantry Officer and a 100% pro American, I love my country, we have just become soft. For the record, I think I am soft too, I am just trying to do something about it. Hope this did not sound too harsh.

Second. I have rucked thousands of miles, and very rarely have I carried less than 30% (55 lbs) of my BW. I weigh 185 and depending on the circumstance, my pack weight is routinely 40-50% of my BW for long periods of time and hundreds/thousands of vertical feet. About 4-5 times a year I am carrying loads 100-135% of my BW, though this is usually for no more than 3 miles, but it is typically very rough terrain. I trained with the Nepalese in the Himalayas, like we walk on flat pavement, they routinely carry 60-80% of their BW for sustained durations, unbelievable. Recently I went on a sheep hunt with my 10 yo son, we covered about 20 Alaskan mountain miles, all the time he was carrying 50% his BW, I could have carried it for him, but he needed to earn it. He was and is fine. I have often loaded up my young teenage daughter with 50-80% her BW carrying out caribou quarters, 1-3 miles, and she is tougher than many grown men I know. She was and is fine, very healthy 16 yo. I did not relate this to brag, but I restate my aforementioned opinion, we have become soft and play it too safe, myself included. Read some of the histories regarding explorers, mountain men, pioneers, roman legions, etc.. Look at the unbelievable loads they carried in unimaginable circumstances, some died, many were fine, but they were all better men and women for it.

Third and last point. Rucking is definitely a skill, it is much more difficult than people give it credit for. I have carried 55lb packs poorly for miles, where the entire trip was mental toughness training; I thought I was going to collapse. On the other hand I have carried much more weight than that properly for the same duration and have felt great. What was the difference? Technique. Know your pack, learn body mechanics, maximize physics, and you will be amazed at what you can do. Or in the case of the previously mentioned explorers etc., just be so mentally tough that you blaze a trail through the wilderness by sheer force of will and demand your body go along for the ride. I myself do not like to suffer that much, but we are all works in progress.

everyone has their own capacity and limits- learn them and honor them, don't worry about articles. It takes a long time and a lot of miles to build up to heavier loads and tougher terrain. Do a lot of what's comfortable, and your comfort level will gradually grow.

@ChiBill, you have received some good advice. I will add a couple points regarding my experience with rucking.

First off, 30% is an unbelievably weak estimate. Born I believe, from research based off of weak bodied first world data points, most likely Americans in this case. Lack of mental toughness, sound strength training and too many fad diets/workouts has created an epidemic of biomechanical issues, which give birth to "recommendations" such as these in an attempt to solve them. Just as a side note, I am a former Infantry Officer and a 100% pro American, I love my country, we have just become soft. For the record, I think I am soft too, I am just trying to do something about it. Hope this did not sound too harsh.

Second. I have rucked thousands of miles, and very rarely have I carried less than 30% (55 lbs) of my BW. I weigh 185 and depending on the circumstance, my pack weight is routinely 40-50% of my BW for long periods of time and hundreds/thousands of vertical feet. About 4-5 times a year I am carrying loads 100-135% of my BW, though this is usually for no more than 3 miles, but it is typically very rough terrain. I trained with the Nepalese in the Himalayas, like we walk on flat pavement, they routinely carry 60-80% of their BW for sustained durations, unbelievable. Recently I went on a sheep hunt with my 10 yo son, we covered about 20 Alaskan mountain miles, all the time he was carrying 50% his BW, I could have carried it for him, but he needed to earn it. He was and is fine. I have often loaded up my young teenage daughter with 50-80% her BW carrying out caribou quarters, 1-3 miles, and she is tougher than many grown men I know. She was and is fine, very healthy 16 yo. I did not relate this to brag, but I restate my aforementioned opinion, we have become soft and play it too safe, myself included. Read some of the histories regarding explorers, mountain men, pioneers, roman legions, etc.. Look at the unbelievable loads they carried in unimaginable circumstances, some died, many were fine, but they were all better men and women for it.

Third and last point. Rucking is definitely a skill, it is much more difficult than people give it credit for. I have carried 55lb packs poorly for miles, where the entire trip was mental toughness training; I thought I was going to collapse. On the other hand I have carried much more weight than that properly for the same duration and have felt great. What was the difference? Technique. Know your pack, learn body mechanics, maximize physics, and you will be amazed at what you can do. Or in the case of the previously mentioned explorers etc., just be so mentally tough that you blaze a trail through the wilderness by sheer force of will and demand your body go along for the ride. I myself do not like to suffer that much, but we are all works in progress.

Hear, hear!

Awesome post, thanks for the slap upside the head, sometimes it's needed, at times I think I'm tough but reading posts like this are a reality check and then some

I think the 30% of BW number is for folks who do not hike a lot but are in OK physical condition, and using run of the mill gear. If I were to invite someone to go on a backpacking trip that is the number I'd give them to shoot for re their pack weight if they want to stay in good spirits.

I also average 185 and can say a 55lb load feels like a holiday, I used to jog with 40lbs of water in a small pack (pull the valve from a small tractor tire, fill w/ water to desired load and replace valve - 100% watertight). But as a casual hiker, at 75 lbs for me the load is no longer "fun" and my ability to look around and enjoy my environment begins to diminish rapidly.

Half BW is my upper limit for any sort of enjoyment with either of the packs I own, and that a relatively short hike. The closest I have come to puking from any exertion was moving at a jog while postholing through hardpack with a 75lb load.

True enough one's pack and even footwear can make a big difference in how a load carries. If I were planning on carrying more weight it would not be with my current gear and I'd need advice from someone who knows to guide my upgrade.

Thanks for all the insight! I saw that article and just wondered, as I realized that I was packing over 35# and got a little nervous (I think that Dan John was quoted in the article as well, probably not about limiting the weight to 35# though). I really appreciate all the responses.

Thanks for all the insight! I saw that article and just wondered, as I realized that I was packing over 35# and got a little nervous (I think that Dan John was quoted in the article as well, probably not about limiting the weight to 35# though). I really appreciate all the responses.

Where did you read the article?

It is very likely a publication/website that enables the weak bodied, first world data points of whom @ChiBill so accurately speaks. @aciampa , another expert who has toted many a rucksack, obviously agrees.

As far as quoting Dan John.....on Dan John's forum at Dave Draper's website he posted two links. One was to what he had written, the other was to what appeared on the website for whom he had written it. They were wildly different...just sayin'.

There's some interesting stuff in this article I found the other day on Dan John's forum. A military review of their info on rucking

Rucking.pdf

Awesome link!

Open question to experienced ruckers - the biggest hindrance to my ability to carry heavier loads seems to be shoulder strap width and composition relative to the load.

My straps dig in even with the hip properly supporting a great deal of the load and even with ongoing tweaks to the cross strap and overall length. Surface blood blisters and bruising are not uncommon as my loads reach excess of 70-80 lbs. What is the expedient method of dealing with this aside from embracing the suck (towels etc), and is this dealt with better in milspec packs than most commercial ones?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom