all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Rudnev 300 pushups- his training?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Physical Culture

Level 5 Valued Member
Hello, all. I've been absent from the forum for a while, busy with life. Perhaps this has already been discussed here, but I could not find it.

Sergey Rudnev is a GS competitor and gymnast. He has been posting videos for a while of high rep pushups. High reps, as in hundreds in a single set. For example:

Has anyone seen anything about how he trains for this? I looked online for any articles he might have written, but came up dry. I'm not interested in doing 300 pushups, but it would not hurt my feelings to be able to do 100 in a single set.

Thanks!

i have no idea what Sergey training looks like, but in "Beyond Bodybuilding", there is something about high rep push up

I don't know about Rudnev, but I trained to do 100 push-ups as a teen. I don't think it was that hard, but it did take a while. I was fairly heavy as well. I think just doing lots of sets reasonably fresh as often as possible should carry one far. Or is 100 push-ups something special?

@pet' does this regularly, at times far more than 300. I believe he got there by starting small and doing GTG high rep, but that’s just what I gleaned from his training log.

Hello,

I do not know how he is been training, however, here is what comes to my mind:
if you are - for instance - able to to 100 push ups a day, without being sore, you can try to do these 100 push ups only in the morning (instead of throughout the entire day). Once you are able doing it in the morning only, you can try doing them only between 8:00am and 10:00am. And so on. This can be an option.

Another strategy which works well:
PT Secrets - The Pushup Push: Double Pushups in 14 Days (FREE) - Stew Smith Fitness Ace the PFT - Preparing Americans for Military,Special Ops, Police, and Fire Fighting Professions

Kind regards,

Pet'

I know exactly how to do this.

1) Build time machine
2) travel back to when you are 10 years old
3) join Soviet gymnast and/or wrestling program* where you do hundreds pushups daily under the watchful eye of demanding coaches for 10 years
4) become one of the greatest GS athlete the world has ever seen
5) do 300 pushups.
6) profit

Simple but not easy.

-------------

Just joking.

*I don't know if Rudnev was a gymnast in his youth. (Maybe he does gymnastic type training as an adult.) I read in an interview that he took up KBs to help with his wrestling. I also don't know whether he was a product of the Soviet youth Olympic training programs or not. I was being tongue in cheek, obviously.

But my point stands. He didn't just get up off the couch and decide to train to do a set of 300 pushups. He's got a strength-endurance base that almost none of us have.

I don't know about Rudnev, but I trained to do 100 push-ups as a teen. I don't think it was that hard, but it did take a while. I was fairly heavy as well. I think just doing lots of sets reasonably fresh as often as possible should carry one far. Or is 100 push-ups something special?

Having seen hundreds or even thousands take the U.S. Army pt test (max pushups in 2 minutes), I can only think of one or two that could do more than 100 in a straight uninterrupted set. (The test doesn't really reward going over 80ish, so there's that. Most that get to 80 do a set of 30, rest in the pike position, set of 20, rest in pike position, set of 10, etc until they run out of time or max out.)

I could never to 100 straight. I had to break up sets to get to 80 in two minutes. To me it's impressive.

EDIT TO ADD - Rudnev takes considerably longer than 2 minutes to get to 100 pushups. So his pacing wouldn't work for the Army PT test.

Last edited:
Fascinating to watch shoulder movement. Before he lowers, he externally rotates his shoulders, then internally rotates them as he pushes up, and repeats that on almost every rep. I don't know if it's a conscious thing or not but it was interesting to watch.

Steve, I'd say he trains them like he trains for GS - he has a breathing scheme and everything else worked out and trains for endurance, much like I imagine he trains for GS.

-S-

Having seen hundreds or even thousands take the U.S. Army pt test (max pushups in 2 minutes), I can only think of one or two that could do more than 100 in a straight uninterrupted set. (The test doesn't really reward going over 80ish, so there's that. Most that get to 80 do a set of 30, rest in the pike position, set of 20, rest in pike position, set of 10, etc until they run out of time or max out.)

I could never to 100 straight. I had to break up sets to get to 80 in two minutes. To me it's impressive.

I am not trying to boast or anything, I honestly don't know. I think I weighed about two hundred pounds, maybe a bit less. I trained the push-ups right before my military service, as I remember there was a bet as a fellow serviceman wouldn't believe I could do hundred. Come to think of it, I think I was among the better ones in the bodyweight exercises tests done to us.

But, there's a difference between exercise as a teen and a serious, regimented training program. I just did as many as I possibly could as often as I could. Sadly, I really can't remember how long it took to train it.

But as this is the StrongFirst forum with serious calisthenics trainees and athletes, I doubt a hundred push-ups is that rare around here.

What's sad is I can't remember the last time I've done push-ups. I can't, or won't, imagine how few I cqn do now.

Fascinating to watch shoulder movement. Before he lowers, he externally rotates his shoulders, then internally rotates them as he pushes up, and repeats that on almost every rep. I don't know if it's a conscious thing or not but it was interesting to watch.
-S-

I noticed that and the breathing pattern right away because I have recently played with this method. I saw a Strongfit video(below) that teaches this method for pushups. Strongfit talks about movements in terms of internal/external torque. They make a bunch of claims about this and how we should match our breathing to the torque in their podcast and other videos.

I've been doing more and more ring pushups and naturally gravitated to the internal rotation while pushing up. I dismissed it as a protection mechanism for my troubled right shoulder and kept doing them, they don't hurt my shoulders at all and have built the stabilizers up nicely. I went from slightly shaky to rock solid in a fairly short time..

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom