all posts post new thread

TSC Rule change for pull-ups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anna C

Level 9 Valued Member
Team Leader Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
Sinister
Interesting... And brought to my attention by a Facebook thread on StrongFirst Instructors page (confirmed by Craig Marker), there has been a rule change:

Tactical Strength Challenge Rules

"With a palms-forward thumbless grip the student will pull up from a dead hang until his or her neck clears the bar."

"The judge/camera should be about eye level with the bar to make sure the chin clears the bar."

It used to be that the chest or neck had to touch the bar for the pull-up to count.

@Anna C Thank you for posting this here.

My reading of this is that the top of the throat needs to clear the bar, e.g., reaching one's chin skyward and just clearing that over the bar, while the top of the throat and/or back of chin is still below, would result in a no-count.

@CMarker, how do you interpret this?

-S-

Been inspired bu the amount of videos I have seen around facebook etc of everyone's efforts.

A query which did come up when watching videos of pull ups - could see people start from a deadhang and go to above the bar, on the way back down arms went straight but not full extension at the shoulder - is this an allowed gamesmanship technique?

Obviously want to maximise my own score come the time but rather not learn a technique which would get red lighted each rep.

Completely straight at the elbow is what's required. If you can provide a link to a video you think shows something you don't think should count as a legal technique, let's not embarrass anyone here but please PM me a link.

Thanks very much.

-S-

Unsure whether I could find it again as it was a liked video by one of my friends.

It was only a difference between the initial dead hang and thereafter each rep had straight arm at elbow but grey if fully extended at the shoulder. Think I'll just train to do pure dead hang

I'm still training to touch my Adam's apple to the bar in my doorframe bar at home (not enough headroom to touch my sternum), and touching my sternum at the gym where there's more headroom. If I can get away with only clearing my neck far enough at the event, I suspect that I'll just pleasantly surprise myself with my result. :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom