all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Running For Health- Pros and Cons?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

BennyWalks

Level 3 Valued Member
Let's assume here that running is being done with good form, suitable footwear and is sensibly dosed.

This StrongFirst article - Back to Basic: How to Train Like Primitive Man | StrongFirst , in the context of the question, 'Would it be too much of a stretch to say the activities that have shaped our bodies over the course of millenniums should be those we prioritize to keep our shapes from softening and dissolving?', and goes on to claim, 'Look at all the animals renowned as good runners: horses, wolves, cheetahs. They’re all four-legged (think about weight distribution). And even then, Mother Nature deemed useful to grant them with another joint between the ground and the pelvis. Unlike humans, their “heels” are well in the air. They basically run on the tip of their toes. Born to Run sure makes a nice title for a book. But as sad as it might seem, for a human being it’s just not true.'

On the other hand, googling 'human adaptations for running' tells a different story.

There are many articles reporting that runners in fact experience less knee issues than non-runners- at least in later life, and have better quality knee joints. Whether this is causation or mere correlation I'm unsure (I saw something making a case for it being causation but this was in a paper magazine I don't have a copy of).

Running puts a profound amount of impact stress on the body compared to walking- a brief reflection on the mechanics will illustrate this. This stress may be a. harmful over time, b. neutral if managed well, c. beneficial in building resliency.

So, to run or not to run? Relevant knowledge gratefully recieved.

best wishes

BennyWalks or BennyRuns, that is the question.

Walking is certainly more "natural" and less risky. But in my opinion, slow jogging (niko niko style) + the occasional sprint is probably pretty close. But our ancestors have probably had stronger bones and a better base from walking all day, so it is difficult to compare.

Not sure if this helps. Personally, I enjoy running, but I get injured pretty soon even when being cautious. So I stick to walking.

Let's assume here that running is being done with good form, suitable footwear and is sensibly dosed.

This StrongFirst article - Back to Basic: How to Train Like Primitive Man | StrongFirst , in the context of the question, 'Would it be too much of a stretch to say the activities that have shaped our bodies over the course of millenniums should be those we prioritize to keep our shapes from softening and dissolving?', and goes on to claim, 'Look at all the animals renowned as good runners: horses, wolves, cheetahs. They’re all four-legged (think about weight distribution). And even then, Mother Nature deemed useful to grant them with another joint between the ground and the pelvis. Unlike humans, their “heels” are well in the air. They basically run on the tip of their toes. Born to Run sure makes a nice title for a book. But as sad as it might seem, for a human being it’s just not true.'

On the other hand, googling 'human adaptations for running' tells a different story.

There are many articles reporting that runners in fact experience less knee issues than non-runners- at least in later life, and have better quality knee joints. Whether this is causation or mere correlation I'm unsure (I saw something making a case for it being causation but this was in a paper magazine I don't have a copy of).

Running puts a profound amount of impact stress on the body compared to walking- a brief reflection on the mechanics will illustrate this. This stress may be a. harmful over time, b. neutral if managed well, c. beneficial in building resliency.

best wishes
What are your training / life goals and ambitions? Your activities should be harmonized and aligned with those. Running might be a good fit; and then it might not. Plenty of people have been running for decades with nothing but numerous benefits to show from it. (I would be one of those people, although I run very little these days) Other people have been running for weeks and are physical wrecks because of it.

“To run or not to run?” is way too vague question to receive anything but vague answers at best. There are just too many variables to consider.

But our ancestors have probably had stronger bones and a better base from walking all day, so it is difficult to compare.

Interesting point

What are your training / life goals and ambitions? Your activities should be harmonized and aligned with those. Running might be a good fit; and then it might not. Plenty of people have been running for decades with nothing but numerous benefits to show from it. (I would be one of those people, although I run very little these days) Other people have been running for weeks and are physical wrecks because of it.

Current goals are better physical health, better brain function (low intensity aerobic exercise seems to be great for that). I have some hiking goals, obviously the way to train for that is to hike. Jogging is a way to raise the heart rate without having to strap on a bunch of weight though- was considering it to give the body a break from regular rucking. And more generally, wondering if it would be an advisable excerise modality for people in general, who have no running goals and train for the benefits of general locomotive aerobic excercise.

“To run or not to run?” is way too vague question to receive anything but vague answers at best. There are just too many variables to consider.

A more specific question perhaps- does the claim in the StrongFirst article that humans are not adapted to run...well does it have a leg to stand on?

Also: to what extend does just walking & rucking make our bones and joints (especially knees) more resilient?

My opinion; any time somebody tells us that we are not "meant" or "adapted" to do something, they seem to be selling an alternative. I don't particularly believe that we're meant or adapted for anything; but I do think the ability to move quickly from one place to another without the aid of a machine is useful.

That said, there's the old "cost of adaptation" to consider. Not everyone pays the same cost to acquire/maintain the ability to run, and for some folks, it may just not be worth it. You don't need anyone's permission to not run if you don't want to run.

I think the benefit outweighs the cost.

I'd certainly agree that training for a marathon goes a bit beyond running for "health". That's another valid question - at what point do you cross from health to competition.

I'd certainly agree that training for a marathon goes a bit beyond running for "health". That's another valid question - at what point do you cross from health to competition.
Similarly... there are those that do not compete per se, yet they train as if they do. And I don’t mean that in any way that is negative; actually the contrary, as I probably fit into that category. My days of real competition are lost in the mists of time, yet I still enjoy and find personal value in training that way.

I will say that the recovery speed from walking with no or very low weight is insane. Can just do it day after day regardless of what else the previous day required. I might start adding weight 1kg at a time in a eustress type manner...expanding what feels extremely easy to the body.

best wishes

Run. Definitely. 100%. It's the king of conditioning exercises.

Walking is great too. Do both.

If I could go back in time I more than likely would have never gone on a jog or run just from a wear and tear stand point. I think a lot goes into whether running is for an individual or not. I'm 6' 240, the endless pounding over the years, as well as a few other factors, grinded my knees to nothing. If I was 6' 180 this might have not have been the case due to the 60lb. weight difference.
If I could do it all over again I would have done a lot more walking at a real quick pace and supplemented with a sprint session or two, varying distances between 100-400 meters a couple times a week. I took up sprinting while deployed to Iraq, doing 4-6 400 meter sprints 2-3 days a week and found that due to the intensity I could easily knockout the base 5k and 10k courses with never running more than 400 meters. The sprints also had a more positive effect body composition wise and served as a great strengthening movement in a place where there wasn't any free weights and I could only depend on bodyweight movements. 25 squats followed by a 400 meter run for 4 rounds is hell!

If I could go back in time I more than likely would have never gone on a jog or run just from a wear and tear stand point. I think a lot goes into whether running is for an individual or not. I'm 6' 240, the endless pounding over the years, as well as a few other factors, grinded my knees to nothing. If I was 6' 180 this might have not have been the case due to the 60lb. weight difference.
If I could do it all over again I would have done a lot more walking at a real quick pace and supplemented with a sprint session or two, varying distances between 100-400 meters a couple times a week. I took up sprinting while deployed to Iraq, doing 4-6 400 meter sprints 2-3 days a week and found that due to the intensity I could easily knockout the base 5k and 10k courses with never running more than 400 meters. The sprints also had a more positive effect body composition wise and served as a great strengthening movement in a place where there wasn't any free weights and I could only depend on bodyweight movements. 25 squats followed by a 400 meter run for 4 rounds is hell!
400 m repeats, nothing like em.

What amount of time were you using for rest intervals ?

400s, death on two legs. (nod to the great Freddie Mercury and Queen)

For health - with no must run a personal best or must run 5 miles more than yesterday, your world is governed by - as it should be for all runners but - being pain free and easy. No need to beat yourself up. Just go out and run.
Can't beat a run on a beach or the woods, out in nature anyway, leaving the pounding and traffic fumes well behind.
Keep it all very easy. I dunno but as a general thing as I've also heard a lot of ex jogging pounders of the pavement say - 45 mins to 1 hour is good. About right is good enough isn't it? Build into that. Nice and easy.
Accrue some volume and if you fancy add in a couple of faster runs here and there.
I do nice easy runs, 45 mins or so, with my dog sometimes but off road.
Bit of aerobic, relaxing, no hassle. Thing is, if you enjoy it, it's good for you.
As a pedantic sprinter/running mechanics nerd - focus on the technique of running, forget everything else. You'll be a better runner, less achey pains, develop a springy stride, be more efficient and enjoy it even more.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom