all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Running form resources

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Lazar

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello everyone at StrongFirst,

I'm new to this forum, but I'm familiar with Pavel's work for a long time and highly appreciate it.

I'll keep it short:

Can you recommend me a book, video or any similar resource about proper running form? There are plenty of choices, but I want the knowledgeable opinion of this community.

I'd like to try this program
A Running Program for Strength Athletes

Thank you everyone in advance.

Google Nikolas Romanov - Pose Method of running.

How is your current form? Why do you want to change/improve? When you run now are you in pain? During the run and/or after? Are you a good runner who just needs some tweaking for better times and performance or are you taking up running for the first time?

The resources available are overwhelming, so much information seemingly to do such a simple thing. Coming back to Pavel....there is a podcast with Tim Ferris, one an interview and another a follow up with listener questions. There is a question posed to him about improving running form. His answer is where you need to start: relax. Learn to relax. I only listened to it again a couple of days ago.....it is THE singlemost important factor in addressing running form. It was the thing that cemented my form and is overlooked when discussing running mechanics, form and technique.

Running has many parts and there are many ways of describing the same thing. The method, or style, or preference of running technique will depend on how you digest and understand the cues of each method......they all have more similarities than they do differences. And all this comes down to your body awareness and the language you understand enough to internalise the cues.

If you start with Pavel's advice to relax first then a really good book with that in mind is: Barefoot running, step by step by Ken Bob Saxton. It's one of those books I wish I had bought years ago, still always something else to learn. I bought it when I am a fully transitioned barefooter and it is full of easy drills and techniques. But, it is barefoot. You may not want to go that route......

Further technique and methods: Chi Running by Danny Dyer, Pose running method by Romanov and Evolution running (can't remember the author of the dvd). Of the 3, I like the style of evolution running....a fine breakdown of running mechanics and simple drills. Some runners may prefer Pose, some Chi running. Also a website Natural Running Centre (maybe center?) for minimalism has some fine technique learning resources.

All give advice to take things slowly and that means slllllooooowww, slower than slow. Bringing it to its basics.....relax, nasal breath, slow build in a walk/run incremental progression, get coached/feedback. The aforementioned Andrew Strong book gets great reviews here, Kelly Starrett's book Learn to Run (think it is called that) also is supposed to be good. That'll keep you going.....oh, and practice!!

Offwidth, Pavel, Ali, thank you for your feedback. This is exactly what I had in mind, these resources will keep me busy for a while.

Ali, your post is very informative. To answer your questions:

I'm getting into running. I have been running for a couple of months with my buddy, usually 2x a week, for about 30 min. My current form is decent (I land on the ball of the feet, I don't slouch, I breath in rhythm with steps), but it should be improved. For example, my buddy corrected me because he noticed my shins are going outward, instead of parallel.

I haven't experienced any pain. And I really started to like running, even though I haven't done it before. I don't need to lose weight, I just do it cause I like it. I'm 28, btw.

I've listened to that interview with Pavel and Tim Ferris, noted his tip about nose breathing and how to train yourself to do it (holding a bit of water in your mouth), but I overlooked the relax advice.

I'm a big fan of barefoot running and walking. I'm not really running barefoot, but I'm running in a cheap sneakers with really thin sole, with no suppoprt. When hiking I sometimes use Tarahumara-style sandals. Otherwise, I'm always using minimalist footwear.

Cheers!

Seems you have a measured approach already. Check out @mprevost recent post with a downloadable training plan.
Doing too much too soon, be it volume and/or intensity also is worth planting in your mindset. Especially if changing form and/or practicing technique.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom