all posts post new thread

Bodyweight "Running is the fastest way to get in shape"

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello,

@Kozushi
Yes jumping rope is a fantastic tool if one want to look thinner, as you mentionned. Basically, it wonderful to get some muscle toning.

Contrary to running, which of course has its benefits, jumping ropes teaches you how to move your leg extremely quickly without effort. It creates some kind of flow.

Performing with a light rope may permit you to use different footwork pattern. Using an heavier one may benfit more on your shoulders, arms and grip. In both cases, core always have to be engaged. It also teaches how to get strong but relaxed shoulders.

IMO, running with heavy hands can build even stronger arm / shoulder, but still lean. Nonethless, you will work less on footwork, because it remains running.

Depending on the sport you do, footwork may be more or less important. For instance, this is crucial in boxing, MMA, etc...

As always, the best option would be to perform both jumping rope and heavy hand running.
Kind regards,

Pet'
I do a lot of skipping or running on the spot with heavy hands. Maybe this is the best of both worlds?

Hello,

@Kozushi
Yes I guess so !

Some boxers also do it so I guess this is a good option. Macework may also interest you in terms of shoulders and arm strength / relaxation ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Kozushi
Yes I guess so !

Some boxers also do it so I guess this is a good option. Macework may also interest you in terms of shoulders and arm strength / relaxation ?

Kind regards,

Pet'
I have two maces, one light and one heavy. They are interesting. Lots of fun exercises to do if we own the equipment, which I do, fortunately.

I primarily run for aerobic conditioning... A few weeks ago I learned about the concept 2 erg on this forum. I'm wondering people's thoughts about this for conditioning. I really like the concept (no pun intended) but it seems like it is predominantly un upper body exercise. It would be great if it could somehow be combined with a lower body component (i.e hip hinge or hip extension pattern). Maybe I would need a traditional nordic track or something for that. Anyway, I'm not intending to change the topic but I'm just interested in trying one.

I primarily run for aerobic conditioning... A few weeks ago I learned about the concept 2 erg on this forum. I'm wondering people's thoughts about this for conditioning. I really like the concept (no pun intended) but it seems like it is predominantly un upper body exercise. It would be great if it could somehow be combined with a lower body component (i.e hip hinge or hip extension pattern). Maybe I would need a traditional nordic track or something for that. Anyway, I'm not intending to change the topic but I'm just interested in trying one.
If by Concept 2 you mean rowing machine, then look at the legs of world class rowers you will see immediately that rowing is not an upper body exercise only. Rowing on a Concept type machine or even better in a rowing shell is the real deal

I love mine. The rowing movement is predominantly a hip hinge when done correctly.

If you want to try one up Concept2 has a machine finder (eg gyms where you can try one). Make sure you watch the videos on correct form on their website first.

The concept 2 rower is def a full body worker. Not sure about the ski erg though, I have never had a chance to try 1 out.

What do y'all think of this statement?
I've found running to be an important part of maintaining a lean body composition and solid endurance, but it isn't the only piece of the puzzle. In shape is hard to define even though it seems like a pretty straightforward statement. In terms of general health, if I could only do one form of exercise it would certainly be a serious contender for that position.

That being said I think "in shape" is goal dependent unless you just mean healthy.

Running is GREAT - if you are ready to run.

We all run as kids, then sit for next 20 years, and then we decide to "get fast in shape" by running, and then we wonder why our knees, hips, and lower back hurts.

I personally suggest following procedure:

FMS > foundational movement and strength training > learning to run > run, Forrest, run!

The exercise I went with for years as the basic, necessary, foundational one was walking, mind you for over 75 minutes at a time, none of this "half an hour is enough" nonsense. It has to be long enough that you're feeling a wee bit tired out at the end of it. Later on these forums I found out about the critical importance of LED training (long easy distance) for raising the baseline of your endurance, and walking is one of the best for this.

The problem of course with -just- walking is that you are letting go of some important parts of your body. You've got to have at least some kind of movement that pulls your body in the other way - walking is 100% push! Pullups at least would be a good counter-balance to walking.

I'll propose a definition: in shape = good at things that will help you during the zombie apocalypse.

Running, fighting, carrying stuff, climbing.

I think you could build a pretty good program around that. And yes, it would include running.

I'll propose a definition: in shape = good at things that will help you during the zombie apocalypse.

Running, fighting, carrying stuff, climbing.

I think you could build a pretty good program around that. And yes, it would include running.
This is the magic bullet. One thing to add and potentially most important is sitting on the ground for long periods of time without leaning on something. Can anyone add to this list?

Last edited:
Any guides to learning how to run safely? Some say you should run near the ball of your foot to be more "springy" and to cause less stress on the knees, others say you should run however you naturally run.

- find a good book - I am a fan of Pose method
- or hire a coach

...and even before that, read Kelly Starret´s excellent book Ready to run.

Any guides to learning how to run safely? Some say you should run near the ball of your foot to be more "springy" and to cause less stress on the knees, others say you should run however you naturally run.

Busting Running Mythologies
Guy Leahy, MS, CSCS
2018 Albuquerque Strength Clinic

Guy Leahy did an interesting presentation on running at 2019 Albuquerque Strength Clinic last years.

The research he presented indicated the a runner's foot strike, landing on the toes or heal first, is an individual thing.

Good runners can be found with either method.

Kenny Croxdale

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom