all posts post new thread

Bodyweight "Running is the fastest way to get in shape"

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@pet' I counted 16 for my CTT(rest).

Am I understand the post correctly that I would work (burpee or whatever) with 6-8 seconds’ rest for 30 minutes?

And someone with CTT of 25 would rest 8-10 seconds?

Why does the “more fit” person get to rest longer?

Hello,

If we consider running as a GPP activity, supposed to be perform to maintain and or improve our aerobic base, today's release on SF's instagram (@strongfirst) is interesting:

[ARTICLE] A person who desires to be anti-fragile must train his or her cardiovascular and respiratory systems. If you prefer to get your “cardio” while lifting—or you are stuck indoors because of the quarantine—avoid “grinds” and go explosive. A “weight” does not have to be a barbell or a; it can be your own weight. To use the burpee as an example, you will need to make two radical changes from the way it is done in “metcon” gyms to make it aerobic. First, pop up like a spring. Second, rest between reps long enough to sustain an aerobic effort for over 30 minutes. The exercise will be aerobic if you can pass the talk test before every rep, until the very end, so adjust your rest periods accordingly.

How can accurately measure your own personal daily talk test to keep some measure of consistency from one training session to another and as a way to make sure you are using an accurate rate of perceived exertion for each session? Paul Tracogna shares his insights

PRIOR to your session, measure your initial Resting Counting Talk Test [CTT(rest)] as a baseline. Count numbers aloud until you need to stop and take a breath (today my CTT(rest) was 23, spoken as one thousand, two thousand, etc.)
-
Several studies show that for individuals with a CTT(rest)<25, moderate to vigorous intensity exercise—as recommended by the American College of Sports Medicine HRR guidelines—could be achieved by exercising at a level of 40-50% CTT(rest). For individuals with a CTT(rest) ≥25, exercising at a level of 30-40% CTT(rest) would place them in the moderate to vigorous exercise intensity range.
-
In the video, I am working at a rate of 40% CTT(rest)—9s—spoken aloud between reps. The first few minutes usually feel easy, so I did double burpees. When I felt like I was starting to struggle at my 40%, I changed to singles, still with 40% CTT(rest). At the end of 5 minutes of work, I was at 145bpm and I could have maintained that pace for 30 minutes with the same power.
-
Personally, I believe it is better to find your pace for 30 minutes with the appropriate CTT(rest) % for you rather than doing a shorter time (less rest between reps) with a lower percentage and having to stop. In that case you were clearly not aerobic.
-
Alternately you can set up an interval timer to go off every 9s or whatever CTT(rest)% you are using for the day. That way, you don’t have to count every rep; you could just check in at the top of the minute or every couple to make sure you are still on track.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I am far too uncool to use Instagram.

keeping the context as "fastest way to get in shape 'for judo", I would say from experience the best way is to do more judo... then again most of us cannot get more than 4.5 hours per week (3x 1.5hr classes sniff)

If we are looking for supplemental training, then you need to look at the individual athlete and work on their weakest "judo physical qualities". So list all the physical qualities required for judo and weigh each of them. Put them in order of importance. Now give the athlete a percentile grade on each of those qualities. You also need to consider the medical history of the athlete and exercises that may be forbidden or at the least aggravating. That is the fastest way to get in shape for judo...

For that medical as an example - I have sports asthma. Running no matter the protocol is an instant trigger that might stop me from training for 2-3 days. But I can do uchi komi work. Sprint uchi komi will trigger my asthma, but not immediately and even then I can recover relatively quickly. Therefor I would get in "better shape faster" using uchi komis over running. And thanks to Q&D, I have been able to improve the speed, power, and duration of my uchi komis.

you would evaluate each athlete to each sport in this way... This is the reason why most athletes can only be king in one sport. You have to sacrifice properties of health to gain sport specializations.

As a side note, most of the Judo Olympic hopefuls that I know of here in Montreal do not do that much running. They will using 5 minute light jogs to warm up. On occasion they will do short sprints or use ladder drills, but those are done inside the context of an overall program created by professional coaches.

For my own training and after doing the above evaluations - Kettlebell training is the best for me. I do 5 months of S&S, 4 months of Q&D, and 3 months of something else other than KBs. All year round I will also do joint mobility and body-weight work. Add to that 5 days/week in a dojo...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom