all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Running Periodization

• Thread starter Deleted member 5559
  • Start date
Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
The reason I ask is because after reading Reload and then comparing it to 5/3/1, it occurred to me that none of my running books are as systematic of approaches. All the books I have about running are pretty vague about periodization and progression. To summarize them:
  1. do lots of slow base miles increasing mileage each week
  2. start adding tempo and intervals to the mix increasing mileage a little each week
Specifically, the tempo and interval work is what I want to program a little better. I have some good books but they focus a lot on the methods and not so much on progression.

What they do have is always pretty generic and doesn't account for individualization. For the 800m for example, it might say to do 5x200m, 3x300m, 2x200m which might be way too much volume or adding a third 200m the next week might be too much too soon depending on the individual.

Is Jack Daniels Running Formula more detailed?

If you train with a heart rate monitor, progression is built in automatically. When you run in a fixed heart rate zone, you have to go faster and faster to achieve that same heart rate as you get fit. In a typical 5 zone heart rate system (which is what I use), heart rate training works well for zone 2 and 4 training. For zone 5, you have to use pace because the intervals are too short.

Typical example. A person starts running and their zone 2 heart rate is 120-140 bpm. At this heart rate they are running a 10:00 mile pace. 3 months later they have to run an 8:00 mile pace to get their heart rate in that zone. Same thing happens in zone 4. Periodization in running is really simple if you work with heart rate.

For zone 5, you have to use pace because the intervals are too short.
I have been using your running template of 5 and 10min @ zone 4 with really good success up until I started doing the intervals. Coaching information for intervals is all over the place. Some coaches say to run 200m-800m intervals at race pace for 1-3mi. Others say to run 400m-100m intervals at near max with short rests, etc.

I know that different methods are intended to train different aspects but I'm nervous to go too hard on intervals and risk injury, go too easy and waste valueable training time, or that not doing them at all would be leaving a lot on the table. So far I have defaulted to Bill Bowermans interval methods of one-quarter race distance each interval at race pace for 1-2x the total race distance per session.

This one is not too complicated. The real bread and butter interval is the 1/2 mile interval (or 800ish). Do 3-4 of these with a work:rest ratio of 1:1 (or 1:1.5). The last one should feel like a 9 on a scale of 1-10, but it should be as fast as the first (or faster). That's all you really need. You don't have to be exact with this stuff. If you are in the ballpark, you have found the 95% solution. For intervals, just work hard and make sure the last interval is as fast as the first.

For me, these intervals were about 30 seconds per mile faster than my zone 4 intervals. Zone 4 intrvals are 10K race pace. Zone 5 intervals are approximately 1 mile race pace, though I dialed it down just a hair from there.

@Bro Mo .....not entirely sure what I will add will be relevant to you but you may find it interesting......
at a masters track meet yesterday and was chatting to a 400m sprinter in my age group, 50-55. Asking him about his training...
a Michael Johnson inspired peak for 400m:
sprint 100, rest 1 minute, sprint 300, rest 30 minutes...that's thirty, 3-0, not a typo....repeat, go home.
That's not pace running distance, I realise, but if you want some speed endurance....
Not that I run 400s but really liked the brutal simplicity of it.
Handle with care.

For me, these intervals were about 30 seconds per mile faster than my zone 4 intervals. Zone 4 intrvals are 10K race pace. Zone 5 intervals are approximately 1 mile race pace, though I dialed it down just a hair from there.
How long do you usually have to run at that slightly faster pace before you would hit a zone 5 heart rate? I just start to hit it if I run 3min and that's what I've been using to judge the accuracy of my interval pace.

Zone 5 intervals are usually about 2-4 minutes long, tops. With a 1:2 work to rest ratio, I never personally hit my max heart rate or even zone 5 heart rate, but can come close by the 5th interval.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom