all posts post new thread

Nutrition Running Program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Chris T

Level 1 Valued Member
Hey Y'all,

Anyone have any suggestions on starting a new jogging program. Been years, eight, since my fat a#@ has jogged thanks.

CT

Hey Y'all,

Anyone have any suggestions on starting a new jogging program. Been years, eight, since my fat a#@ has jogged thanks.

CT

You dont need a running program; you need a "return to run" program. Andrew Read's book is very good for returning to run, IMO.

Depending on your progress, in 3-12 months , you may then need a running program.

what's you're walking look like? until you're regularly walking about 10 mi a week at a 15/min mile pace (in 3-5 sessions), you don't really need to jog. The steady walking does as much or more good as jogging for someone starting or getting back into it, and also builds up the tendons and ligaments, etc. to prevent injuries later on. Consistency is important.

Look up "Run Strong" by Andrew Read. Along with moderate/light strength exercises, he uses the Maffetone theory to his running program which uses walk-jog intervals that builds up to a straight hour of running. I would recommend him to anyone who's out of shape and wants to explore endurance sports.

Another vote for Andrew Read's Run Strong. Great recommendation. I am a real fan of all of Andrew's work.

I agree with @mprevost and @aciampa on Andrew Reads book. What are your goals? If it's to just return to jogging I probably wouldn't jog. Jim Wendler and other strength coaches are big believers in sprints, mostly hill sprints. They have a big metabolic effect and will serve your strength training and body re-composition if that's your goal. They can also serve to allow you to run longer distances without putting in a ton of miles on your joints.

First post here. New to kettlebells, but seasoned ultramarathoner. The Maffetone recommendations are legit. However, there is much more to "The Maffetone Method" than just 180-age. Stress reduction and proper diet are also key parts of his program. From what I see in my early looks, there is good information on both of those here in this forum.

Just be honest with your calculation using the Maffetone formula and be patient. No one ever got hurt from taking the -5 or -10 bpm discount. Accept the information the MAF test provides you, evaluate it impartially, and respond accordingly. Hint, if your MAF test is not improving, then your total stress levels are too high for where your are in your life at that time.

mostly hill sprints.
Just a word of caution with hill sprints, they are quad dominant and can set you up for injuring a hamstring when you go to sprint on flat ground with a strong sprint and undertrained hamstrings.

Dont mistake my comment for not agreeing with hill sprints though, great option in my experience.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom