all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Running Shoes (again, <sigh>)

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
I live in two kinds of shoes, Feiyue martial arts shoes and All Stars. The former is a cloth slipper with a thin rubber sold, not far removed from a lace-up deadlift slipper; the latter are the Chuck Taylors that everyone knows.

I find running on pavement in my Feiyue's just a little to minimalist; I find running in Chuck Taylors great, but they're heavy/clunky.

I've yet to find a minimalist running shoe I like, one with just a little padding and without an arch support - I don't want the shoe to support my arches, I want my arches to support my arches.

I've got wide feet - in New Balance shoes a few decades ago, I wore an EE width. In Chuck Taylors and my Feiyue's, I almost walk out the sides of the shoe because, although they do stretch, they're not really quite wide enough.

Your suggestions will be appreciated, with the understanding (of course) that I'm not you and I don't necessarily want to try your favorite running shoe if you don't think it would work for me.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

-S-

I'm on Merrell Trail glove and Merrel Vapour glove....the first are "thicker" and the second are very thin...both are great and serve its purpose

@Anna C, I had a pair of Xero shoes and couldn't get used them - they felt like they fit too loosely somehow. I kept them for a year and kept trying them.

I'm not sure what model I had - what model might you recommend? They seem to have quite a few different running shoes, and I'm up for trying them again. I mostly walked in them when I had them.

-S-

I ordered a pair of Xero Speed Force just now. I had the Prio before - they were able to look me up.

When I used to run regularly, I race in road racing flats, so this seems like the Xero that's closest to that. I will report back on how they are once they get here (and if they fit, of course).

@simon0596, thank you for the suggestion - I'll keep them in mind if these don't work out.

-S-

-S-

I ordered a pair of Xero Speed Force just now. I had the Prio before - they were able to look me up.

When I used to run regularly, I race in road racing flats, so this seems like the Xero that's closest to that. I will report back on how they are once they get here (and if they fit, of course).

@simon0596, thank you for the suggestion - I'll keep them in mind if these don't work out.

-S-

-S-
Altra shoes are also something to consider, for example the "superior", although it might be to narrow for you. My favourite running show was the Nike Free 5.0, but they don't make them anymore.

@Anna C, I had a pair of Xero shoes and couldn't get used them - they felt like they fit too loosely somehow. I kept them for a year and kept trying them.

Yeah I have the Prio, and I know what you mean! They do feel a little loose. I'll be interested to hear how you like the Speed Force.

I live in two kinds of shoes, Feiyue martial arts shoes and All Stars. The former is a cloth slipper with a thin rubber sold, not far removed from a lace-up deadlift slipper; the latter are the Chuck Taylors that everyone knows.

I find running on pavement in my Feiyue's just a little to minimalist; I find running in Chuck Taylors great, but they're heavy/clunky.

I've yet to find a minimalist running shoe I like, one with just a little padding and without an arch support - I don't want the shoe to support my arches, I want my arches to support my arches.

I've got wide feet - in New Balance shoes a few decades ago, I wore an EE width. In Chuck Taylors and my Feiyue's, I almost walk out the sides of the shoe because, although they do stretch, they're not really quite wide enough.

Your suggestions will be appreciated, with the understanding (of course) that I'm not you and I don't necessarily want to try your favorite running shoe if you don't think it would work for me.

-S-

Second the Altra recommendation if you can find one with a wide enough toe box, sounds like what you're looking for. Altra Lone Peak a trail shoe popular with ruckers, some report it lasting a while on pavement so if you run on and off road there's that. Altra Superior is generally badly reviewed.

I think these would fit what you're looking for. I have a pair and like them, as many people do.

My experience of Xero Prio - 1. really they have no padding whatsover 2. serious grip issues in any mud etc. One time I went arse over tit at record breaking speed as if on ice. Another I abruptly 'surfed' down a muddy hillock to the suprise and peturbation of a dog at the bottom of it, who rightly believed that no living creature should transport itself in such a matter and very nearly felt compelled to attack me as a point of principle.

-S-
? I think I still have a few unopened Feiyue's from my Wushu days and after I picked up a bunch last trip to Beijing. I still wear them for my MA and weight workouts.

As for running shoes, I only run one day a week for 5K and I did well for years with the Adidas Performance Men's Vigor 6 TR Trail and once those wore out I switched to the Under Armour Men's Charged Assert 8 Running Shoe. They were both good for me but I do not put a lot of miles on them. I do run with a weight vest for what it's worth.

I'm on Merrell Trail glove and Merrel Vapour glove....the first are "thicker" and the second are very thin...both are great and serve its purpose
Merrells run real narrow. Not for the wide footed.

@Steve Freides I wear NB size EEs from their zero drop line - the minimus. I am partial to the trail 10v4. Something like this. Amazon product ASIN B015XCRFLG They have more construction than a Xero but far less than their stylings would indicate. The arch and cushion visuals are a lie! But there is enough there to run on pavement with some forgiveness - especially with decent to good technique. NB still carries virtually everything in EE. 4mm drop wasn't something I really noticed - I usually wear Xeros or Lems and just put on the NBs to train.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of the Topo Athletic running shoes - wide forefoot and various levels of cushion, but not overly cushioned. They also have a range of drop from 0mm to 5mm in their line. If you are looking for a cheap pair of minimalist shoes, search Amazon for Aleader Men's Minimalist Trail Running Shoe. I tried these compared to the Merrell Vapor Gloves and thought that they felt more significant underfoot while still maintaining a minimalist shoe feel. I have a pair of these in my running rotation right now , and I really like them - very wide forefoot.

As a fellow feiyue wearer with paddle feet I hear you.
Many brands of minimalists are available now so can't vouch for all of them but i have tried a lot of them.
I'm now barefoot or vivo. Wide fitting track pumas for spikes. Most sport branded shoes aren't wide enough and spikes are even worse.....not that you want spikes but sometimes you can find an anomaly that's right for you, as you'll know I'm sure.
Overall, vivos. I've had loads. Very consistent fit. They are however expensive but they are well made and last a long time.
I don't know about the US but here in UK there is an online retailer, sport pursuit.com.
They have flash sales of various outdoor brands, vivo occasionally.
My last pair, favourite shoe ever was 25 gbp. Bought about 6 years ago. I have a trail shoe too, another sale item but direct from vivo. I don't really run distance distance now but wear them when cold and wet on grass. But I have run trails in them and half marathon stuff some years back....7/8 years. Probably at most now would be 45 minute runs but they've lasted well.
Keep an eye on sale stuff. Or splash out. I've never been disappointed with vivo. Always like a bargain though!

I found a pair of chuck taylor 2.0 (I think that’s what they were) at a Kohl’s about 2 years ago. I think they discontinued them. Still flat footed. Still super minimal. Just had some extra padding in them as opposed to the potato sack canvas material. Got them to skateboard in but I enjoyed running in them too. With an eBay look maybe?

-S-
Good morning Steve,

I switched from vibrams to another shoe that I bought off amazon for 36.00

WHITIN Men's Trail Running Shoes Minimalist Barefoot 5 Five Fingers Wide Width Toe Box Size 12 Gym Workout Fitness Low Zero Drop Male Parkour Road Sport Breathable Beach Grey

Really comfortable with a wide toe box, zero drop.

(Although I don’t run much anymore) as a long time runner whose choice of terrain is usually very rugged trails and ‘off-piste’ I have always favoured the other end of the spectrum and go with a much higher level of support and control in a shoe. My ‘current’ favourites are Brooks Cascadia.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom