all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Running Shoes (again, <sigh>)

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Steve Freides
I wear Xero Shoes more than often than not and have several different models. The Prio is by far my LEAST favorite. I have the same issue with a sloppy-feeling fit, the sole is not very grippy and they feel "slappy" (like it's hard to avoid my feet slapping against the ground on each step).

However, I quite like the Speed Force, the HFS and the Terraflex. The Speed Force is the most minimal, the HFS is a nice all around shoe that would work for running or KB training. The Terraflex is like a beefier Prio, with a grippier lugged sole, and I find it just fits, feels and works much better than the Prio. I also like the Mesa Trail, which is like a beefier version of the HFS, designed for trails, but I'm not crazy about the colors (I tend to only go for black on black or black and gray).

A couple of people have mentioned Altras. If you want minimal, Altras ain't it. They are zero drop and have wide toe boxes (although they are snug around the instep), but have quite a lot of cushioning. My wife describes them as being like walking barefoot on a foam mat, which she means in a good way. I like my Altra Lone Peaks and wear them when I want a cushioned shoe, but as I said, they are far from minimalist.

My new, non-Pro Xero shoes are supposed to arrive on Saturday - will report on how they are for me. Thanks, @Steve W.

-S-

I ordered a pair of Xero Speed Force just now. I had the Prio before - they were able to look me up.

When I used to run regularly, I race in road racing flats, so this seems like the Xero that's closest to that. I will report back on how they are once they get here (and if they fit, of course).
Initial impression - very good for me. They fit snugly, seem to disappear on my feet. Took a short jog and a single sprint in them, both felt great.

-S-

You also might consider sandals, Steve. I enjoy running in my Luna sandals a lot. I am yet to attempt an ultra in them, but I did a 50+ mile "challenge" last year,( 9 miles every 4 hours for 24 hours), and a bunch of those laps were in my luna's. I did switch to my Merrell trails in later laps. I can not handle anything above a 4mm drop, and I rotate between several different brands. I have feet of average width.

I am often amazed at the people who will spend a lifetime training their whole body, but then strap their feet in to casts to run.

I gotta admit I have hesitated on trying the Xeros because the owner is just too much of a salesman for me. My issue, not his.

You also might consider sandals, Steve.
Thank you for the reply, @Coyote but I cannot. I need a shoe to fit snugly because I'm bowlegged and my feet don't hit the ground flat but rather they land on the outside edge more than is normal. I slide around in any shoe or sandal or clog that doesn't grip my foot snugly all the way around.

-S-

@Steve Freides If you're looking for a cheaper option, these TSLA shoes have held up surprisingly well over the past several months. For prespective, I usually perform 2-3 LSD trail runs per week on varied terrain. I have wide feet as well and have found that they don't cause blisters/issues. The only caveat is that you'll probably need to buy separate laces as the ones included are a cheaper elastic material. Hope that helps.

I live in two kinds of shoes, Feiyue martial arts shoes and All Stars. The former is a cloth slipper with a thin rubber sold, not far removed from a lace-up deadlift slipper; the latter are the Chuck Taylors that everyone knows.

I find running on pavement in my Feiyue's just a little to minimalist; I find running in Chuck Taylors great, but they're heavy/clunky.

I've yet to find a minimalist running shoe I like, one with just a little padding and without an arch support - I don't want the shoe to support my arches, I want my arches to support my arches.

I've got wide feet - in New Balance shoes a few decades ago, I wore an EE width. In Chuck Taylors and my Feiyue's, I almost walk out the sides of the shoe because, although they do stretch, they're not really quite wide enough.

Your suggestions will be appreciated, with the understanding (of course) that I'm not you and I don't necessarily want to try your favorite running shoe if you don't think it would work for me.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

-S-
I know it’s less minimalist but my wife is a marathoner and recently switched to these, i plan to as well when I’m done with these NB. Altra-torin. They have more plush and support but have the natural toe box and zero drop. I have xero’s as well but if you want to do any serious endurance running your feet and ankles will eventually pay the price (i found via experience). I also run on pavement so I understand the xeros would be better for trail runners.

Last edited:
A brand of shoes that I am a huge fan of is Carson Footwear. They are zero drop and the sole is made out of a different material that you just almost can not wear out. Their only down side (for me) is the price. They are a little spendy, but they are a small, completely American made company.

You also might check out Skora. Skora is zero drop, minimalist and very comfortable.

A brand of shoes that I am a huge fan of is Carson Footwear. They are zero drop and the sole is made out of a different material that you just almost can not wear out. Their only down side (for me) is the price. They are a little spendy, but they are a small, completely American made company.

You also might check out Skora. Skora is zero drop, minimalist and very comfortable.
Coyote, how does the Carson sizing compare with other manufacturers ? Thanks.

They are European sizes, and I wear a 12 normally. The 46 fits me perfect without a sock and the 47 with.

I will say they are very responsive. The owner of the company also answers emails and builds shoes, or did a few years ago.

They are European sizes, and I wear a 12 normally. The 46 fits me perfect without a sock and the 47 with.

I will say they are very responsive. The owner of the company also answers emails and builds shoes, or did a few years ago.
I've been wearing Altra Solstice and Vanish XC in a14. Altra no longer makes these models. Largest size Carson makes is a 13, which could work if it's a large 13. Is your 12 a large 12 compared to other 12's you've worn?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom