all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Running without knee cartilage!

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

GeoffreyLevens

Level 6 Valued Member
This from friend of a friend who has run 11 marathons since having her medial meniscus surgically removed~

She is now 58 so it was 40 years ago when she had her surgery.

"My surgery was actually in 1976 when I was only 19. I took a very long time off running after the surgery, but I was skiing the next year. I surmise it was the strength of my youth that filled in the area with strong connective tissue. I did absolutely nothing special or magical in terms of rehab except that I kept trying different things and backed off the second I felt pain. I guess in that manner I just slowly kept building strength in the whole area that surrounded the injured spot (it was the medial meniscus that was removed). If running hurt, I walked or hiked mountains. If even walking hurt, I biked. I even swam if everything hurt (even though I despise swimming). I worked out in gyms. Seriously, I just kept mixing it all up to build up everything I could around the deficit. I didn't run my first marathon until 21 years after the surgery."

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom