all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Running

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Gary W

Level 5 Valued Member
Im just getting into running, currently doing s&s mon tues thurs fri and running 3 miles on a sunday morning

I would like to do a half marathon one day but not in any rush

Once my 3miles is under 30mins currently 31 i will up it to 5miles

To get my running better im thinking of going on a Wednesday too, as im getting older (39) im worried about over doing it, S&S 4 days running 2 days?

Does anyone have any advice or experience with combining the 2?

Running snd S&S is a great combo. I wouldn’t worry about overdoing it as long as you are smart about how you run. Definitely when you are starting out, you want to build a strong aerobic base and you don’t need to worry about pace at this stage. It’s more important to get more time in at an easy pace. Make sure you can pass the talk test easily, walk hills and even some flats if you need to. 5 miles this way is tons better than 3 that makes you feel gassed.

There has been a lot of conversation in this forum and more widely about this kind of aerobic training. Look up long slow distance (aka lsd), the Maffetone method or aerobic base for tons of material, but it’s really not more complicated than what I lay out above.

When I was doing S&S at the same time I was training for a half, I loved the combination. It made me feel energized and ready for anything. Have fun!

Thanks, yes i find the 3 miles i have to stop and just have a breather for maybe 30s tops then im good again.

Ive been doing the same route and the point at which i have to stop is getting further and further.

I will look up the Maffetone method and have a read now thanks

im getting older (39) im worried about over doing it
39 is young.
S&S and running go together very well. Like @Tim Randolph said...don't overdo it. Wether you use strict Maffetone methodology or not. LED locomotive activity is a good thing. Unless you are a really experienced runner or otherwise are in tune with your body, get a HR monitor and learn how to use it. And once you get adapted to running and get good at it, it doesn't have to be slow to elicit the same benefit. Hence the LED (Long Easy Distance) as opposed to LSD. (Who wants to be slow?)

Me...?
Often times it's:
S&S 3 to 5 times a week
Locomotive endurance training (running or cycling) 3 to 4 times a week

39 is young...

Me...?
Often times it's:
S&S 3 to 5 times a week
Locomotive endurance training (running or cycling) 3 to 4 times a week

That is a lot like my routine but Rucking is now my long run and uphill walking in a treadmill fills in for some of my easy runs. And I’m 52 and didn’t get serious about running till I was in my mid 40s. At 39 your still playing with house money ;)

Hi, as a fellow in second part od 30's I can also say that S&S is great combo with running no matter the goals. My advice if you want to run half marathon (I did plenty of them in last few years, same as marathons) is to plan your training on a 3+3 basis:

1. S&S
2.Running (your usual run, if preparing for half aim for at least 8-9km (5,5+miles))
3. S&S
4. Running (1mile warm up + 20*100m speed intervals with 30-40 sec easy walks between intervals + 1 mile cool down) - this is for speed development
5. S&S
6. LSD Running (run for 15-16km distance on easy pace for endurance build) - try to run for 1:30hrs with hrm max 145
7. rest day

This will work for sure, also you can change your run (under 4.) so instead 20*100 m intervals, try to do 5*1000m intervals with 2 minute walking between, your aim is to go these intervals as fast you can

take care and good luck

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom