all posts post new thread

Old Forum Ruptured Transverse Humeral Ligament

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ThorsFavoriteGoat

Level 6 Valued Member
First things first: It was my fault. While doing ROP C&P Super Sets w/Chins, I tore this ligament that keeps the upper biceps tendon in place.

I have been to an MD, DC and PT. The basic advice seems to be rest, ice and light activity when it stops hurting. Apparently, this ligament isn't important enough to surgically repair. Any differences of opinion there? I don't want to be "ok" I want to be optimal and strong.

When I do return to kettlebelling, any recommendations on exercises to focus on or avoid? Obviously, I should be able to swing, swing, swing. But what about TGU and Pressing?

Hi Baker.

Is it completely ruptured or partially torn? If it is the former the general advice you mention is fine as the movement of the tendon in its bony groove should suffice, but if its the latter you need more clarification to what degree as this can result in adhesions (scarring) building between the ligament and tendon affecting movement and causing pain especially with loaded exercise.

If we are talking about a complete rupture I would start with light swings, tgu, and loaded carries such as waiters walks for stability before building back to presses.

This is general advice based on what you said but I would strongly recommend clarification with your medic, meeting with a PT for specifics in acute exercise and then work with an SFG to work on your technique and phased return to  kettlebell practice.

Sorry if this is a bit vague but hope this helps.

Baker-

#1 - listen to the medical professionals that saw you, evaluated you and gave you advice.  Online medical advice is at best sketchy, at worst a violation of several state medical practice acts.

#2 - Quick anatomy lesson - the transverse humeral ligament is not important at all - unless it is ruptured.  All it does is hold the biceps tendon in the bicipital groove.  When the TH ligament is damaged, the biceps tendon begins to move in and out of that groove causing pain and further problems.  Training thru this won't cause any more damage to the ligament (especially if it is completely torn -you can't tear it any more) but it will lead to issues down the road.  Anything that involves the arm will involve the bicep in some manner and therefore involves the TH ligament keeping the biceps tendon in place - even swings (HUGE eccentric load in the biceps at the bottom of a swing).  You can by all means train thru this to meet your short term goals, but there is likely to be long term repurcussions if the ligament hasn't properly healed.

#3 refer back to #1.  (4-6 weeks is the typical timeframe ligaments take to heal to the point they are stable again)

Thanks for the responses. It is a complete rupture, and the biceps tendon came out of the groove. My chiropractor put it back in. I am going to spend the next several working on swings and doing some barefoot running.

I saw this and just had to reply. I am a chiropractor of 25 years and an associate professor with a partially ruptured Biceps Tendon and Transverse Humeral ligament. A complete rutpture necessarily damages the subscapularis insertion to the rotator cuff. Chiropractors can not "put the biceps tendon back in" It just is not possible. They can increase your range of motion and give great advice for rehab and anti-inflammation to include therapy. Good luck.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom