all posts post new thread
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
That's just plain cheating. That bar weighs 1/8 less underwater, and they don't even have to worry about correct breathing technique

I think Klokov is trying to emulate Vasily Alexeev who was known for doing such goofy things like underwater lifting.

I recall Pavel writing about Alexeev training in water. It may have been in PttP, but can't remember. In the photo in Mirek's link Alexeev uses all iron plates. Iron is not very buoyant so I doubt the water helped much. (Rubber bumper plates may have a little more buoyancy than solid iron.) Any buoyancy, at least for Alexeev, was more than cancelled out by the additional resistance of the water. I believe Pavel mentioned that the net effect was more resistance in the water. The thing about training in any type of fluid is that the faster you move the greater the resistance from the fluid. This is true in cycling (air is technically a fluid) where great effort is made to decrease air resistance. Once saw a formula showing that for a cyclist to increase his speed from 24 to 25 mph requires more additional power than going from 10 to 11 mph, assuming the rider is out on his own and cannot draft off another cyclist.

Alexeev was Alexeev. Don't do what he did, especially if you're learning the Olympic lifts and even if you are proficient at them. Apparently Louie Simmons of Westside fame wrote on book on training for Olympic lifters that advocated using variable resistance in training the lifts in the form of attaching rubber bands or chains to the bar. The book resulted in scathing criticism from the Olympic lifting community. Adding bands or chains to the Olympic lifts is a bad idea on many levels, one of which is that the variable resistance causes a change in the mechanics of the lift which can mess up a lifter's technique.

Apparently Louie Simmons of Westside fame wrote on book on training for Olympic lifters that advocated using variable resistance in training the lifts in the form of attaching rubber bands or chains to the bar. The book resulted in scathing criticism from the Olympic lifting community. Adding bands or chains to the Olympic lifts is a bad idea on many levels, one of which is that the variable resistance causes a change in the mechanics of the lift which can mess up a lifter's technique.
He did. I respect that man's achievements in powerlifting, but him writing about oly lifting is the same as Bill Belichick writing a book about how to be successful in soccer...

I noticed that my transition to discussing Louie Simmons wasn't smooth and probably made little sense, although in my own brain it made sense. My point was that there is no need to get creative when training the Olympic lifts. Mastering technique is difficult enough. Alexeev trained in water to get some variable or accommodating resistance. He could do that because he was Alexeev. I brought up Louie and the reaction to his "creative" way to train the Olympics as an example of what happens to someone who gets creative with the Olympic lifts, especially someone who does not coach any Olympic lifters yet tries to sell a book on training Olympic lifters for $70 - and that's the E-book. Despite his stature in the powerlifting, he was vilified and became a laughing stock among the Olympic lifting community.

@MikeTheBear Yeah Westside for Weightlifting. Do not bother with bands, chains, waist deep or neck deep water. Just do Heavy Pulls like has worked for every lifter, ever.

A Snatch or Clean and Jerk has build in accommodating resistance because you must continually accelerate the bar. It should never lose moment at any point in the Pull. Only accelerate to the final explosion.

@Geoff Chafe Preach it!

Sorry about that little detour, everyone. Now getting back to things, here's a video from some guys Down Under (not Russian) showing how to get started in kettlebell juggling. These drills are not only fun but I can see how they would really teach a person to "tame the arc." Enjoy.

here's a video from some guys Down Under (not Russian) showing how to get started in kettlebell juggling.

Great video, thanks for posting! I love that stuff. :)

@Anna C The drills look really simple but it's amazing how scary things get when you let go of the kettlebell even for a few seconds. Flipping is tougher than it looks as the weight creates lots of momentum and the KB just wants to keep flipping.

True, and he makes it look easy. I hope that's a 16kg he's using, because he's not even getting out of breath. I'm getting fairly good at flipping the 12kg and 16kg even one hand and I haven't smashed any toes or fingers yet, but the part I find needs a lot of caution is catching it in odd positions as it's falling, like if you have to reach out for it... it's really important to stay tight or you end up pulling on the low back, as with swing that comes out too far and too low.

Anyway, it's just my small way of living dangerously... ;)

Adding bands or chains to the Olympic lifts is a bad idea on many levels, one of which is that the variable resistance causes a change in the mechanics of the lift which can mess up a lifter's technique.

I recall that my first (well, and last) coach, soviet school old timer, told me the same with regards to conventional powerlifting, and suggested to use bands or chains very rarely, just for the sake of variety once in a while.

This man makes me believe those old time circus strongmen stories. The danger of his moves though always unnerves me. Both the immediate of those bells dropping on his foot, but also the wear and tear I assume such form causes. Then again, he did get to this level somehow.

I love the pile of old school plate-loadable kettlebells, circus dumbbells, and grip implements.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom