all posts post new thread

Barbell Russian Bear - 80% minimum back off set

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

MarkS

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi Guys,

How many back off sets should one be aiming for at the 80% mark?

Should one be aiming for a minimum of 5 at the 80%? What is the minimum that one should be aiming for?

Also, would anyone have any tips for recovery? apart from BCAA's Glutamine supplements.

Thanks,
Mark

Hello,

@MarkS

Should one be aiming for a minimum of 5 at the 80%? What is the minimum that one should be aiming for?
It depends.

What is your total routine ?

If you are on a "daily dose", then 1 set of 3 (or 4 if you recover well) is enough because you work 5 or 6 days a week.

Otherwise, 2 or 3 sets of 5 can be considered if you use plenty of rest between sets.

would anyone have any tips for recovery
Plenty of sleep, good eating habits, good hydratation (tea, etc...), enough protein (this goes with good eating habits, even if you can use supplements), daily stretching

Kind regards,

Pet'

Working on the basis of 3 days per week as per Pavel's advice using the following routine.

Mon: Bench
Wed: Deadlift
Fri: Bench

Also operating on a rest basis of 1 min 30 between sets as advised in the book at the 80%

Hello,

I would go for 2 sets of 4 or 5. To avoid failure, do not hesitate to rest a little more if you need, to progressively reduce it after.

Kind regards,

Pet'

As many as you can do with good form. The purpose of the Bear is to achieve volume - the more volume, the better. If memory serves, the book mentions up to 20 sets as possible. If you start with just a few back-off sets and, over time, can add more, that's the idea. Of course, remember to drop the volume periodically for recovery. You might try to structure it for yourself, e.g., add one more backup set each week for 3 weeks and, cut the volume in half in the 4th week, then start again but with the number of back-off sets you had in week 2 of the previous month. This way, you end up increasing your volume by about 15 lifts per month (1 extra set of 5 each week for 3 weeks compared to the previous month).

Also don't forget to test your max periodically.

-S-

I have started PTTP with one back off set, and I plan on sticking to that for a while. I may try Russian Bear eventually.

For recovery eat, sleep, light stretching, yoga, walking, stay moving as much as possible. Contrast showers after training have always helped me recover, and are easy to implement. I used to swear by muscle creams, Voltaren is the best. I have been using it recently to help recover my grip.

BCAA purpose is not recovery, it is an intra-workout supplement. I used to mix powered Gatorade and BCAA to sip for long training sessions, then I went to whey and orange juice.

As I understand glutamine is one of the many snake oil supplements. There is some evidence to support it helps replenish glycogen stores in muscles. There is no evidence to support it aids in tissue growth, when ingested, in the human body. It helps grow skin in the lab for burn victims, but its effects in the lab are not replicated in the body. The supplement industry latched onto its effect on tissue growth and sell it as such.

Apologies Pavel. When your students did the Bear what was the minimum number of 80% sets recommended to do? Many thanks, Mark

I am currently doing 100kg Deadlift raw (now belt) (100% set) and 72kg (100% set) bench press on the following basis with a min of 5 back off sets at 80%. I've been doing this for just two weeks and I can say I'm starting to look VERY toned and hard.

I was doing S&S which was a good base before I switched to the Bear program. Not sure what results I can expect after a couple of months doing this but its looking very promising!

When I did the bear, I do around 5 to 13 back off (80%) sets.

I add 1 to 1.5KG (I have a pair of 0.5 and a pair of 1.25) to the first set when I can do 5 or more back off (80%) sets.

Agreed with @MarkS , I got toned with the program.

@Toby That's good advice and I was thinking of staying on same weight (first set) until there is a minimum of 5 back off sets for the volume. Today I upped the weight on the top set and ended up with one set at 80% and was done. So will stay on this top set weight until i can get 5 at 80%. I also have those little plates to do the small increase. Very handy. Its good to know we are thinking along the same lines.

If I may: more back off sets you'll do, longer progress with the program.
Also 100% is the daily max, not your 5RM.

So it doesn't take long to see the effects/benefits of the bear?

I am seeing it after 3 weeks. Very wiry kind of look. I've changed my sequence to

Mon: BP
Wed: DL
Fri: OP

The reason for this is aiming for more shoulder development as I found DL in itself and BP hasn't been able to build the shoulders to be more pronounced. There are two types of press movements in there.

Wiry look from Russian bear?
Well, to me this sounds like the exact opposite of what one would expect from the program.
Do more back off setf and eat more.

@Mirek I think words like wiry and toned are just nonsense words to mean he is building muscle. That is the point of th Russian Bear.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom