all posts post new thread

Barbell Russian bear ideas

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Dimitris Plz

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello.
I would like to compete in push pull meet in few months. Maybe after summer.

I write the program below based on Russian Bear for my off season.

Day 1:

Bench press:

1*5 top set
1*5 90% of top set
5*5 80% of top set

Deadlift : the same rep scheme

Day 2 :

Ohp :
1*5 top set
1*5 90% of top set
5*5 80% of top set

Deadlift : the same rep scheme

Day 3:

Incline db benc press :

1*5 top set
1*5 90% of top set
5*5 80% of top set

Deadlift : the same rep scheme.

After that, i would run the Power yo the people with only bench press and deadlift.

I would like to read your advices.

Russian Bear is as many sets of 5 as possible, not limited to 5 as you propose. So if you feel good at the end of your fifth set, keep going. Alternatively if time is an issue, change your fifth set to AMRAP.

And, for me, deadlifting three times per week with that kind of volume would do my back in, for sure! Keep a very carefully eye on recovery and consider reducing frequency to twice or even once weekly, if it becomes an issue

Thank you very much!!

Maybe an alternative programm i thought would be like:

1)Bench and deadlift
2) Press and sumo
3) Bench and deadlift

Is it better now??
My PR in dl is 200 kg and in bench press is 110 kg

Same with Luke. I will be very careful with that much deadlift. In the past i was ambition like you, press and deadlift 3 days per week with high volume on both lift. Quickly my body disagree with that. Many people on the forum recommend 3 days per week, one for deadlifting and 2 for pressing. For example:
Monday: Bench press
Wenesday: Deadlift
Saturday: Bench press.

With my case, i find out that i could do pressing on both 3 days per week on high volume, deadlifting 3 days per week but with only one day with high volume. The weight of the top set increases each season as normal ( i choose linear progression).

If you want to do both high volume deadlift and high volume press at the same day for 3 days per week, may i recommend the Delorme protocol? It's easier because you will use the lower weight for deadlift. @Philippe Geoffrion has some gainz with that program :)

Yes, the Delorme worked well for me when I wanted to add muscular bodyweight! It is much less “laissez-faire” with programming then “The Bear” which is somewhat ambiguous in the original PTTP version. However, it has been Recommended since then to Bench twice a week and DL once a week on “The Bear” which is probably a good reference point for those unsure of how to program the frequency of it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom