all posts post new thread

Barbell Russian Bear Linear Progression

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JamesG

Level 2 Valued Member
Approx 3 months into lifting barbells,

Doing Linear Progression Russian Bear, for all 4 lifts, - working like a charm for deadlift and Squat.... however the smallest weight increment I can achieve is 5kgs due to lack of smaller plate availability and is proving to be to much of a jump at around the point in the cycle where my 5 rep max is nearing my previous 1 rep max...

Should I end cycle here at this point or is there a way I can modify to accommodate large increments of weight increase rather than the typical 2.5kg weight increase per session?

Approx 3 months into lifting barbells,

Doing Linear Progression Russian Bear, for all 4 lifts, - working like a charm for deadlift and Squat.... however the smallest weight increment I can achieve is 5kgs due to lack of smaller plate availability and is proving to be to much of a jump at around the point in the cycle where my 5 rep max is nearing my previous 1 rep max...

Should I end cycle here at this point or is there a way I can modify to accommodate large increments of weight increase rather than the typical 2.5kg weight increase per session?

All you need to do is acheive a higher number of sets on your bear sets before upping the weight for upper body lifts.

It's just going to take more time. But you are still progressing and that's ultimately what matters.

@JamesG, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

Have you tried switching from 5's to triples with the heavier weight? It's a fine way to end a cycle, by cutting the volume as the weight rises. Keep the number of sets the same but do only triples, and you can even move to doubles and singles if you like before you take a backoff week and start over again.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom