all posts post new thread

Barbell Russian Bear/MMA

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Bs13

First Post
Currently in "off-season" mode for the next 2-3 months. Would like to try a simple routine for hypertrophy and strength. Will also be training 3-4 days a week in MMA. Anybody have any experience with or care to offs isoghts I Russian Bear routine combined with a sport? I am not a new trainee, can handle a fair amount of volume. Thank you.

This routine made me way too tired, i was not able to fight after this. Also what is your current bodyweight and what class are you fighting ? Do you want to change classes ? In other words, is it even worth it ?

@Bs13

PTTP! Bear - not recommended for MMA.
PPPT! original program - sincerely recommended. Add a full contact twist, and you are set.
Easy Strength book by @Pavel and Dan John - must read. You will find a lot of great recommendations there as for martial arts strength training.

While I do understand the allure of hypertrophy, I would personally advise against the "Bear" as the plan.

Yes; if followed (and you eat), the plan will pack on the size, particularly in the legs. But then again, a fighter has no need for heavier legs. Heed the words of The Chief when he warned: "On a side note, if you are a fighter and you are trying to gain weight, you are seriously confused about your needs and goals." [Return of The Kettlebell, page 8]

The chapter on "Armor Building" in Easy Strength is certainly worth a read, though.

I second the advice of taedoju above. If you intend to simultaneously train MMA skills 3-4 times a week (and I do acknowledge that you're no beginner), the "Bear" will still most likely be too taxing to add to our schedule for us to do justice to our sport practice.

Thank you all for your kind responses.

Pavel, I will buy the book and look into that more.

Taedoju, currently compete at 147 or 154 depending. Current walk around weight of 170. Not of find of weight cutting- makes me feel like utter s***- so was actually looking to increase a weight class.

The Bear is way too much volume with too much focus on hypertrophy, it won't mix well with MMA. You're better off going with original PTTP, or even the 3 x 5 lifting program in Beyond Bodybuilding -- but cut it down to two days a week. Pepper your week with KB swings occasionally and you'll be set.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom