all posts post new thread

Barbell Russian bear singles work out

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Bertje

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello everyone,
my name is Bertje and I am new on this forum, please to meet you all. English is not my native langue, so be prepared for mistakes haha...

Currently I'm training according to the russian bear work out mentioned by Pavel in PTTP. I was just doing some little thinking.. What about instead of doing the 5 reps per set, replace that with a heavy near max single rep? Then wait for lets say 2-3 minutes till fresh again, and perform another heavy single, rest again, etc etc untill you cannot perform it with good form and call it a day...

Anyone experience whit this or want to share your thougts?

Greetings!

Hello @Bertje, welcome to StrongFirst.

PttP Bear variant is strength/hypertrophy program that calls for allot of volume (~110 reps) in a session. Heavy deadlifts cannot be done for such volumes. Heavy singles once a week can be done for a while, but probably will not produce measurable hypertrophy.

Although I've never tried it, I've studied the Russian Bear program. I think it is tricky to get right to begin with (you can't even find a consensus on how often you should lift a week - the description in the book is vague), so I wouldn't advise trying to change it drastically.

If you want to do singles, there are established deadlift routines that use singles.

SSPT Training the Deadlift

Hello everyone,
my name is Bertje and I am new on this forum, please to meet you all. English is not my native langue, so be prepared for mistakes haha...

Currently I'm training according to the russian bear work out mentioned by Pavel in PTTP. I was just doing some little thinking.. What about instead of doing the 5 reps per set, replace that with a heavy near max single rep? Then wait for lets say 2-3 minutes till fresh again, and perform another heavy single, rest again, etc etc untill you cannot perform it with good form and call it a day...

Anyone experience whit this or want to share your thougts?

Greetings!

Welcome to the forum!

Generally, for hypertrophy, you need volume with a weight that is just right. Please follow the original PTTP! Bear protocol.

Thank you all for your responses!

I have another question... Let's say I build at some point a muscular body Im happy with through the bear with deadlifts and bench presses.. If I want to maintain that level, do I only have to run the bear once every 2 or 3 weeks for maintenance? Or does it not work that way?

Off topic, has anybody tried PTTP bear while training for another sport? In my case BJJ.

Thank you all for your responses!

I have another question... Let's say I build at some point a muscular body Im happy with through the bear with deadlifts and bench presses.. If I want to maintain that level, do I only have to run the bear once every 2 or 3 weeks for maintenance? Or does it not work that way?
Bob Dylan, in this song, says at about the 40-second mark or so, that "he [who is] not busy being born is busy dying."

Maintenance is tricky business because we adapt to doing the same thing over and over. Some variety is necessary. At the very least, running a hypertrophy program infrequently might make you pretty sore after each time you perform it.

-S-

Thank you for the response, I was wondering, wich type of muscle fibers do you develop with the bear? Tbe IIA fibers or the IIB fibers? I guess the IIB because we stay under 5 reps right.. ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom