all posts post new thread

Barbell Russian Strength protocol

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Patrik Novák

Level 3 Valued Member
Hi everybody Im looking for some links or articles about the Russian periodization of training and training in General.

whether for weighlifting or greco-roman wrestling.

I went through a lot of articles from P.Tsatsouline or Louise Simmons but I didn't find what I was looking for.

that the Internet is poor in information about Soviet strength training possibly due to Soviet censorship

or do you have someone type on a book in English about the training of Russian wrestlers or strength athletes in general?

best

Pat.

Sportivny press has translated plenty of East block books on weightlifting.

There are also modern textbooks on strength training, that Pavel also quotes, like Supertraining and The Science and Practice of Strength Training. Both have russian authors.

There are also modern textbooks on strength training, that Pavel also quotes, like Supertraining and The Science and Practice of Strength Training. Both have russian authors.

Thanks this IS very helpful

And what about Greco-Roman Strenght training stuff ?

Maybe We Can say:
-Vary intensity and volume average percentage Are 75%
-Law of accomomdation
-Dont train heawy

And last things which I found in many old russian articles are training should be limit to 45minutes for right hormonal reaction.
What .
I was most interested in the longevity of Soviet athletes across all sports

1589051135442.png

And what about Greco-Roman Strenght training stuff ?

Maybe We Can say:
-Vary intensity and volume average percentage Are 75%
-Law of accomomdation
-Dont train heawy

And last things which I found in many old russian articles are training should be limit to 45minutes for right hormonal reaction.
What .
I was most interested in the longevity of Soviet athletes across all sports

View attachment 10401

I am not a coach for adult wrestling, and my knowledge on it is limited, but I understand there are some common guidelines.

Wrestling is a very demanding sport. When we imagine different qualities like strength, endurance, mobility etc as a shape, wrestling is right in the middle. You need everything.

I believe the general strength for wrestling is established like it is for all sports; weightlifting and powerlifting exercises. Add the necessary sport specific training.

As strength isn't the main quality in wrestling and there are weight classes I would say the opposite of "Dont train heawy" and say that training for a high degree of relative strength would be beneficial, strength without extra mass. Very much according to general StrongFirst principles.

I believe varying the intensity and volume separately is a good idea and 75% is a good average intensity. But that means a lot of work in 70-80% range instead of below it, in my opinion.

I think limiting the length of the training session depends on your schedule and the density of the training session. Long breaks make the session go longer. If you have the chance, many sessions a day are better than a single session.

The two textbooks I mentioned by name are general strength training books and thus not specific to weightlifting, so I'm sure you will find a lot to digest in them and lots of use for wrestling. The book by Zatsiorsky is easier to read so I would recommend starting with it.

I am not a coach for adult wrestling, and my knowledge on it is limited, but I understand there are some common guidelines.

Wrestling is a very demanding sport. When we imagine different qualities like strength, endurance, mobility etc as a shape, wrestling is right in the middle. You need everything.

I believe the general strength for wrestling is established like it is for all sports; weightlifting and powerlifting exercises. Add the necessary sport specific training.

As strength isn't the main quality in wrestling and there are weight classes I would say the opposite of "Dont train heawy" and say that training for a high degree of relative strength would be beneficial, strength without extra mass. Very much according to general StrongFirst principles.

I believe varying the intensity and volume separately is a good idea and 75% is a good average intensity. But that means a lot of work in 70-80% range instead of below it, in my opinion.

I think limiting the length of the training session depends on your schedule and the density of the training session. Long breaks make the session go longer. If you have the chance, many sessions a day are better than a single session.

The two textbooks I mentioned by name are general strength training books and thus not specific to weightlifting, so I'm sure you will find a lot to digest in them and lots of use for wrestling. The book by Zatsiorsky is easier to read so I would recommend starting with it.

Thanks

Allow me to quote myself:
See here:
The Origins of StrongFirst Programming: The Soviet System | StrongFirst

And here is a fine example with some guidance (you could apply the percentages to your own targeted weekly volume):
From Simple to Sinister: Waving Volume on S&S | StrongFirst
And a PlanStrong Plan with some explanation: A Science-Based Plan to Prepare You for the SFG Level I and SFG Level II | StrongFirst

(...)
Further, the Delta 20 principle is explained in "the Quick and the Dead" (Q&D).

Edit: and of course the certification: Plan Strong™ | StrongFirst

The book "the System" by Johnny Parker explains too how Russian periodization can be set up.

There is a discussion of it here:

Iam still think that We have
limited access to information on Soviet strength training.
There are a few books and mentors who have knowledge of how to compile frequency intensity etc according to the Soviet system but I do not have access to it.

so for as long as so far I will probably choose the western methodology of linear periodization with deload weekly.

just for example

Maybe this:
Monday : 70% 3x5
Wed:. 65% 3x5
Fri:. 75% 3x5

Percentage of course Can be differenth

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom