all posts post new thread

Ryan T - Die But Do

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
6/23/21

AM: Walk 5.33 Miles, Time 1:16:55, Pace: 14:26 min/mi

PM: Double kettlebell chains @20kg
6 rounds:
GFE +
MP+SQ+CL x5 + 1 CL
+ Reverse GFE

Karate class 1 hr moderate-high intensity. I know BJJ is “the thing”, but the instructors who are not large, are able to generate loads of power and speed and cover distance in an instant. They can generate tons of force from tiny movements and blocks strike your strike, draining the power out of it. You try to catch them and they’re gone. Kime, one strike one kill.

I’ve heard that most actual fights go to the ground and that skill is relatively untrained in this style of karate. Take downs are training with arm bar or wrist locks, but no groundwork. In real life, with two unarmed opponents equally matched in situational awareness, perhaps the advanced Shotokan karateka still couldn’t consistently beat an MMA type brawler, but I bet they could either make it really costly to engage or deliver a blow or two and escape while the attacker is stunned.

Striking arts should not be written off.

@Bret S. Same movement patterns as the GFE except the execution is reverse, starting at the end and ending at the beginning. Bookends.
Thanks man.. you should rough draft your plan and start playing around with it, I like to have 3 locomotion days if possible. Mace and snatch pair very well, plugging in a rotation of them works so this part of your plan is dead solid I think.
Crawling work on Tu-Thurs could replace pushups if you're doing enough of it, and GFE is also working in the same direction, all in all kind of GTG for the press I'd say. You might want to add in pullups to some degree, I find them to be indispensable for my purposes as a counter to pushups, snatch and PP. I know you get some good lat activation with the ground stuff but nothing replaces pulling your entire body weight through space and against gravity in my experience.

Lately I'm thinking more and more of paring things down, you can't go wrong with snatch and run of course, but now I have some other boxes I want to check. I'm enjoying explosive movements more and more, burpees have been a very good addition in that way. Overall I'm happy with the direction training's going but have an eye toward overall volume reduction or finding something closer to a minimum effective dose.. experimenting will continue.

6/24/21

AM: Ruck 30#
5.04 miles, 1:21:52, pace 16:25 min/mile
Good pace, actually got a bit lost walking to an area I hadn't been before. Fun.

PM: Movement practice 45 min. Lots of OS work, resets, crawling, hangs.

Out of habit, I weigh myself daily. Today was 153 lbs. Hard to imagine 16 weeks ago I was 176 lbs.

I feel good and light, but I need to start eating more. Strength training days is around 3000 calories aerobic base/karate days are around 2300 calories. I could be putting enough aerobic base work in that I'm undershooting a bit. Don't get me wrong, I like seeing the midsection definition for the first time in my life, but I don't feel like I want to get any thinner either.

6/25/21

Midday
GFE +
Double kettlebell Complex @20kg
9x(5 LCCJ + 5 SQ + 5 DL)
+ Reverse GFE + Stretching and Rocking

PM: Aerobic Development
4.60 miles, Time 1:04, 14:03 min/mile
Walk/Jog intervals 3 min/1 min x12 + 6 min jog

First time doing any jogging in almost a year. Need to do this more.

6/26/21

AM
Ruck 30#
Screenshot_20210626-224721.png
PT Beat Down 11s
50 yard jog between each exercise

1 Cinder block curl/10 burpees, 2 Cinder block curls/9 burpees etc... Until 10 cinder block curls/ 1 burpee.

1 cinder block pull through with pushup LR/10 ljump squats 2 cinder block pull through with pushup LR/9 jump squats etc...

Fun.

PM: walk
Screenshot_20210626-230214.png

First time doing any jogging in almost a year. Need to do this more.
Excellent! How does it feel running at a lighter BW?

FWIW, I'm a big proponent of form following function, meaning I let BW find homeostasis and don't interfere, with the exception of minor diet tweaks, and those are largely instinctual. These days I weigh in at around 178 lbs at 6' 2", so I'm lean compared to most of my adult life weighing in at 215-220. Running precludes a lot of weight gain and can work against hypertrophy.. add in the fact I don't want to take in extra calories and attempt bio-engineering relative to my weight and body comp.. frankly it's temporary and just too much work and thought for me at this time in my life.

Excellent! How does it feel running at a lighter BW?

FWIW, I'm a big proponent of form following function, meaning I let BW find homeostasis and don't interfere, with the exception of minor diet tweaks, and those are largely instinctual. These days I weigh in at around 178 lbs at 6' 2", so I'm lean compared to most of my adult life weighing in at 215-220. Running precludes a lot of weight gain and can work against hypertrophy.. add in the fact I don't want to take in extra calories and attempt bio-engineering relative to my weight and body comp.. frankly it's temporary and just too much work and thought for me at this time in my life.
The running felt fine, just not used to the stimulus. Practice practice practice...

The running felt fine, just not used to the stimulus. Practice practice practice...
Yes sir! Considering this from Al C.. you can plug in your BW and see what's happening when running:

"At 225 lbs of body weight, my foot collides with the ground while jogging such that my body must absorb near 500 lbs of force. Given that there are roughly 2000 steps to a mile, half of which is 1000, each mile of single-legged hops during a low-intensity jog causes about 500,000 lbs of force for each leg to absorb. A six mile jog causes 3,000,000 lbs of force on each leg. If you purchase the idea that strength can be forged through lighter, higher volume training, jogging seems to be quite a strength stimulus."

I have purchased the idea :)

6/30/21

@Bret S. Here’s an update for ya…

AM: Aerobic work
Dog Walk 3.13 miles, 45:28 min, 14:31 min/miles
Jog: 4.04 mi, 40:03 min, 9:55 min/miles

The dog couldn't handle the weather today even with the cooling vest so I brought him home. I decided I wanted to test where I was at based on weight loss, aerobic base building for the last couple of months (lots and lots of walking and rucking and some rowing), strength training etc... vs where I was at last year.

• Sept 2020: 3.13 miles. I weighed 168 lbs, mouth breathing after first 10 min, total time 40 min. I walked the last 10 min due to old calf pain flair up.
  • Today: 4.04 miles. I weigh 153 lbs. No mouth breathing whatsoever, jogged the whole time. I played with the pace. Splits: Mile 1=10:19, Mile 2=10:23, Mile 3=9:44, Mile 4=9:14. Once I got close to the 9 min/mile pace the urge to mouth breathe became more pronounced but still controllable.
  • I attribute improved running performance to weight loss, better running form (shoulders, hips, foot strike stacked and engaging hamstrings more to propel myself forward), and the significant amount of walking and rucking I've put in over the last two months. Also, plenty of squatting and reverse lunges in kettlebell programming over the last 4 months.
This is the longest run I've done in 7 years and certainly the best pace I've ever maintained, and I haven't trained jogging at all recently. Very pleased with this.

Considering I did 7 miles of locomotion before 7 AM, I guess I'm starting to develop an addiction to locomotion. There are certainly worse addictions out there.

PM: Stretching and foam rolling/soft tissue work.

Yes sir! Considering this from Al C.. you can plug in your BW and see what's happening when running:

"At 225 lbs of body weight, my foot collides with the ground while jogging such that my body must absorb near 500 lbs of force. Given that there are roughly 2000 steps to a mile, half of which is 1000, each mile of single-legged hops during a low-intensity jog causes about 500,000 lbs of force for each leg to absorb. A six mile jog causes 3,000,000 lbs of force on each leg. If you purchase the idea that strength can be forged through lighter, higher volume training, jogging seems to be quite a strength stimulus."

I have purchased the idea :)
I read this for a second time this AM. Great minds brother…

6/30/21

@Bret S. Here’s an update for ya…

AM: Aerobic work
Dog Walk 3.13 miles, 45:28 min, 14:31 min/miles
Jog: 4.04 mi, 40:03 min, 9:55 min/miles

The dog couldn't handle the weather today even with the cooling vest so I brought him home. I decided I wanted to test where I was at based on weight loss, aerobic base building for the last couple of months (lots and lots of walking and rucking and some rowing), strength training etc... vs where I was at last year.

• Sept 2020: 3.13 miles. I weighed 168 lbs, mouth breathing after first 10 min, total time 40 min. I walked the last 10 min due to old calf pain flair up.
  • Today: 4.04 miles. I weigh 153 lbs. No mouth breathing whatsoever, jogged the whole time. I played with the pace. Splits: Mile 1=10:19, Mile 2=10:23, Mile 3=9:44, Mile 4=9:14. Once I got close to the 9 min/mile pace the urge to mouth breathe became more pronounced but still controllable.
  • I attribute improved running performance to weight loss, better running form (shoulders, hips, foot strike stacked and engaging hamstrings more to propel myself forward), and the significant amount of walking and rucking I've put in over the last two months. Also, plenty of squatting and reverse lunges in kettlebell programming over the last 4 months.
This is the longest run I've done in 7 years and certainly the best pace I've ever maintained, and I haven't trained jogging at all recently. Very pleased with this.

Considering I did 7 miles of locomotion before 7 AM, I guess I'm starting to develop an addiction to locomotion. There are certainly worse addictions out there.

PM: Stretching and foam rolling/soft tissue work.
That is just incredible! I can't believe your run performance in that test. Having not run at all and setting a PR or three is stunning. What really gets my curiosity up is your calf performance, the calf factor seems uncommon from all my experience, which isn't much. The pace you ran at is also very fast.. for me, I'm cruising steadily at 12 min miles but if I up the pace calf problems can crop up quickly.

When up in Truckee recently we did a couple 6 mi back-to-back walks and my calfs got sore, I hadn't walked for distance but had been running. Every locomotion mode has different demands it seems.
Since we got the pup I've been walking more, and running some semi-sprints at the park with my furry little buddy. We did a power walk yesterday for about 15 mins on a path near here, then went to the park and did a few sprints. For 9 weeks old he moves fast, I'm not sure I can outrun him even at that young age. He's growing like a weed and his wolf features are coming out more, his hind legs are getting long and have that wolf look.
I'm not logging the extra work but it's been consistent since we got the pup almost two weeks ago, that along with power jumps have me feeling pretty strong in the lower body, running is still king though. Now that Buddha is getting stronger we'll be doing those power walks around the hood more often.

There are much worse things than a locomotion addiction my friend, it's actually my favorite also. Getting to the beach to run is more difficult now with the dog in the picture, but I can do walks and sprints at the park with him.

That is just incredible! I can't believe your run performance in that test. Having not run at all and setting a PR or three is stunning. What really gets my curiosity up is your calf performance, the calf factor seems uncommon from all my experience, which isn't much. The pace you ran at is also very fast.. for me, I'm cruising steadily at 12 min miles but if I up the pace calf problems can crop up quickly.
I really think it’s the combo of:
  • Weight loss
  • Lots of moderate to fast paced rucking and walking.
  • Running form. Al’s suggestion of feeling like you’re being pulled forward by your navel was a cue that I tried to keep in mind, so the shoulders, hips and foot strike were stacked. Also, I actively pulled my heels up behind me to propel myself forward. That’s the best I can explain it.
  • Collagen intake: One other thing I can think of is I consume collagen protein almost daily. Not sure if that has an impact, however there are some studies suggesting the regular collagen intake can assist with recovery and joint discomfort.
  • Shoes: One other thing is I bought some Hokas (ultra marathoner shoes) as well.
It’s probably as shocking to me as it is to you. I was not expecting anything like this. I didn’t expect to make it past 10 min, but I felt good and thought I would keep going until I get a warning sign to stop.

In the spirt of the Bret S motto, DFYU I’m not going to start jogging yet. I’ll continue to work to focus on lots of walking and rucking and start weaving in more walk/jog intervals.

I’ve dealt with the calf tightness and pain for so long, I don’t want to assume this is a sign that I can just continue to train this way.

I’ve found that 1-1.25 hrs is the sweet spot for roadwork regardless of walking, rucking etc…

7/1/21
AM: Ruck 30# 25 min

F3 Beat down: I created and led the beat down today. Pouring rain and good times.

The 5s:
All AMRAP. Jog in place during active rest. 2 man teams.

Block 1 Upper Body 15 min (I go you go)
5 incline push ups on cinder block
5 curls
5 decline push ups from cinder block
5 rows w cinder block
5 clean and press w cinder block

Block 2 Lower Body 10 min (I go you go)
5/5 Reverse Lunges with cinder block
50 yard run
5 Jump Squats
50 yard run
5 squats with cinder block

Block 3 Core 5 min
5/5 Side Planks
5 Windshield Wipers
5 Deadbugs
5 Frog Kicks

PM: 3x5 DL @48kg

1hsw testing
1x15/15 @24kg
1x15/15 @28kg
1x15/15 @32kg

Karate Class 1 hr
@Anna C

7/1/21
AM: Ruck 30# 25 min

F3 Beat down: I created and led the beat down today. Pouring rain and good times.

The 5s:
All AMRAP. Jog in place during active rest. 2 man teams.

Block 1 Upper Body 15 min (I go you go)
5 incline push ups on cinder block
5 curls
5 decline push ups from cinder block
5 rows w cinder block
5 clean and press w cinder block

Block 2 Lower Body 10 min (I go you go)
5/5 Reverse Lunges with cinder block
50 yard run
5 Jump Squats
50 yard run
5 squats with cinder block

Block 3 Core 5 min
5/5 Side Planks
5 Windshield Wipers
5 Deadbugs
5 Frog Kicks

PM: 3x5 DL @48kg

1hsw testing
1x15/15 @24kg
1x15/15 @28kg
1x15/15 @32kg

Karate Class 1 hr
@Anna C
Nice beatdown! How did the students like it?

Nice beatdown! How did the students like it?
Thanks!

Everyone seemed surprised how much they enjoyed it an like the organization and method. A couple of the guys mentioned how they thought it looked really easy but after a couple rounds into the first block, they were surprised at the challenge. I was trying to give them a combo of what they expected, but switch it a bit by:
-lower rep ranges (less burn)
-group body parts (less systemic fatigue)
-autoregulate rest with I GO YOU GO yet keeping with the phraseology of AMRAP.
-continuous active/jogging rest (physiological and psychological momentum)

We were a bit behind the clock too. The blocks would have been 15 min upper body, 15 min lower body, 5 midsection

One of the guys was saying when it’s his turn to lead he just tries to figure out the best way to beat folks into the ground and hadn’t considered things the same way I do.

The “beat down” culture is a different than what I prefer, however I like the folks and support the call for grit and leadership. They always do a pre-ruck and then beat down. I do all the rucks and then one beat down per week. The rucking fits with the locomotion work I’m trying to accomplish and the beat down, I do on Sat which gives me a couple days to recover before my next kettlebell/loaded practice session.

Next time, I think I’m going to try something simple like:

15 Hindu Push Ups
30 Hindu Squats
100 yard dash
AMRAP as a group for 35 min. Might be able to squeeze in 10 rounds.

It’s less to keep track and it still gives a little variety since I don’t think either of those two movements are emphasized. There will be much more burn with those rep ranges but ultimately it will end up being more of an endurance smoker.

Thanks!

Everyone seemed surprised how much they enjoyed it an like the organization and method. A couple of the guys mentioned how they thought it looked really easy but after a couple rounds into the first block, they were surprised at the challenge. I was trying to give them a combo of what they expected, but switch it a bit by:
-lower rep ranges (less burn)
-group body parts (less systemic fatigue)
-autoregulate rest with I GO YOU GO yet keeping with the phraseology of AMRAP.
-continuous active/jogging rest (physiological and psychological momentum)

We were a bit behind the clock too. The blocks would have been 15 min upper body, 15 min lower body, 5 midsection

One of the guys was saying when it’s his turn to lead he just tries to figure out the best way to beat folks into the ground and hadn’t considered things the same way I do.

The “beat down” culture is a different than what I prefer, however I like the folks and support the call for grit and leadership. They always do a pre-ruck and then beat down. I do all the rucks and then one beat down per week. The rucking fits with the locomotion work I’m trying to accomplish and the beat down, I do on Sat which gives me a couple days to recover before my next kettlebell/loaded practice session.

Next time, I think I’m going to try something simple like:

15 Hindu Push Ups
30 Hindu Squats
100 yard dash
AMRAP as a group for 35 min. Might be able to squeeze in 10 rounds.

It’s less to keep track and it still gives a little variety since I don’t think either of those two movements are emphasized. There will be much more burn with those rep ranges but ultimately it will end up being more of an endurance smoker.
So this is your class? Most people can come up with a smoker session, doing it to where it's effective with good recovery is key I think. I watched some young guys doing a smoke session with burpees, pullups, HLR and a few other movements. One of them was whining pretty good when he had to do leapfrog burpees across the field haha. It looked like a dice roll scenario and he didn't like his roll result.

I can see how people like to burn, I can't do it now as recoveries aren't real good lately, glad to see you can handle it and thrive!

So this is your class? Most people can come up with a smoker session, doing it to where it's effective with good recovery is key I think. I watched some young guys doing a smoke session with burpees, pullups, HLR and a few other movements. One of them was whining pretty good when he had to do leapfrog burpees across the field haha. It looked like a dice roll scenario and he didn't like his roll result.

I can see how people like to burn, I can't do it now as recoveries aren't real good lately, glad to see you can handle it and thrive!
No, it’s not my kettlebell class. It’s a group of guys that get together and workout outside regardless of the weather 3 times per week. Considering the nature of the beat down, I don’t do it more than 1x per week bc it will compromise recovery to much.

No, it’s not my kettlebell class. It’s a group of guys that get together and workout outside regardless of the weather 3 times per week. Considering the nature of the beat down, I don’t do it more than 1x per week bc it will compromise recovery to much.
Ah, ok thanks bro

7/2/21

AM: Walk 3.25 miles, Time 1:07 hr, 20:51 min/mi
PM: Walk 2.81 miles, Time 53:03 min, 18:54 min/mi

Putting the miles in.

7/3/21

AM: Ruck 30# 2.48 miles, 43:17 min, 17:25 min/mi

Mid AM: Walk 2.9 miles, 53:20 min, 18:23 min/ mi

PM: Yard work 49 min

7/4/21

Afternoon: swimming and kayaking. Finally got the dog to get in the lake and like it.
PM: Walk 2.25 mi, 45:28, 21:34 min/mi

7/5/21

AM: 4.38 mi, 1:20 hr, 18:15 min/mi

PM: Training
10x7 2hsw @28kg EMOM
5x1/1 GU @28kg EMOM
Leopard Crawl 30s/30s W/R x 13

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom